***toronto Blue Jays***

paflagbluejays.jpgOpening Day ReportToronto 6Minnesota 3PLUS* Halladay was dominant until he started to tire and gave up a couple of late solo shots to two former Jays in Stewart and Batista.* Chased one of the best pitchers in baseball in Johan Santana.* B.J. Ryan looked impressive doing what he is paid to do.* Rios showed some pop.* Molina, Glaus and Overbay all contributed in their debut.* Both the Red Sox and the Yankees lost. :club:MINUS* 2 errors* Troy Glaus 4 AB and 2 SO - get used to it.NOTE: This was the first time in Blue Jays' history that they did not have at least one rookie on their opening day roster.
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am excited about the jays because finally a team that is worth the time watching is available on sportsnet~oh yeah, we also get mariners game here on channel 14~ gotta love wat jojima is doing so far~as far as jays and division crown... i dont think they will get it...i just don't think towers and ghacin can put up those numbers again~but they will be contending for the wild card spot but i still have to give it to boston because ortiz is just clutch~

that first game definitely had a lot of pluses, and only a few minuses.Halladay was not sharp - his control was not Halladayesque, but of course still quite good. schoewenweis (sp?) looked like he was smelling a fart the whole time, but if he's sharp could really help us win some games.i think Ryan should pull that old move (satchel paige, juan marichal?) where he sends the defenders off the field, then strikes everyone out.hill and adams looking real iffy on the field.adams is still backhanding everything and making too many throwing errors. he double-clutched on the double play even though hill was right at the bag. hill also was not great, but no real mistakes.what a lineup though. our weakest hitters at 8 and 9 still are probably .270 hitters.personally, i would love seeing rios lead off and catalanatto hit second and play left. anyone agree?also, johnson is benched until he cuts that stupid chin thing.

i think Ryan should pull that old move (satchel paige, juan marichal?) where he sends the defenders off the field, then strikes everyone out.
Satchel Paige, but I think he just told his infielders to sit down right there on the field. I also think it was just one of those barnstorming games. Not that that reduces the coolness factor...
Satchel Paige, but I think he just told his infielders to sit down right there on the field. I also think it was just one of those barnstorming games. Not that that reduces the coolness factor...
He did tell the infielders to sit down, but he also told all of his fielders to leave the field in a game as well.
He did tell the infielders to sit down, but he also told all of his fielders to leave the field in a game as well.
thanks guys - will be sure to send this off to BJ.Adams is not doing very much to alleviate concerns about his throwing accuracy...
Story I heard was that he struck out the first 2 hitters, walked the next 3 hitters, and then called in the outfield, proclaiming that he'd strike the next hitter out. Which he did. Kind of sounds made up though.
Story I heard was that he struck out the first 2 hitters, walked the next 3 hitters, and then called in the outfield, proclaiming that he'd strike the next hitter out. Which he did. Kind of sounds made up though.
There were a lot of things Satch did that sound made up but weren't...part of his mystique.

Wow.. :club: ...an ***-pounding last night. Things were looking good with an early lead, but the Jays pitching went KCRoyalish.

a nice win tonight though.i think we should save chacin pitching to phillips for the playoffs though. i think the hilariousness of those glasses is good for at least 10 outs.seriously though, does anyone like having the lineup changes so much? there are some pros and cons, but i'd prefer at least a little consistency.overall, some definite pluses.chacin with an efficient 6.2 innings, with 88 pitches and 60 strikes. not electric stuff, but good control.speier works a perfect inning.BJ with a disappointing one strikeout. another solid save.glaus 0/4 with one Khillenbrand got a start and played well.Adams with a stolen baseTwo clean double plays involving hill.overall a solid game and a good win.

a nice win tonight though.i think we should save chacin pitching to phillips for the playoffs though. i think the hilariousness of those glasses is good for at least 10 outs.seriously though, does anyone like having the lineup changes so much? there are some pros and cons, but i'd prefer at least a little consistency.overall, some definite pluses.chacin with an efficient 6.2 innings, with 88 pitches and 60 strikes. not electric stuff, but good control.speier works a perfect inning.BJ with a disappointing one strikeout. another solid save.glaus 0/4 with one Khillenbrand got a start and played well.Adams with a stolen baseTwo clean double plays involving hill.overall a solid game and a good win.
With all the new additions, there is no way you can expect the manager to put together one lineup that works and stick with that for the most part right away. Probably gonna have a lot of shifting of the lineup until end of May or so...and that's probably a good thing....I'm sure come midseason there will be seperate but pretty consistent lineups against both lefties and righties.
With all the new additions, there is no way you can expect the manager to put together one lineup that works and stick with that for the most part right away. Probably gonna have a lot of shifting of the lineup until end of May or so...and that's probably a good thing....I'm sure come midseason there will be seperate but pretty consistent lineups against both lefties and righties.
no, gibbons always messes with lineups and starters far more than necessary. it is a viable strategy, i just personally disagree with it.he's doing a better job this year by mostly just messing with the outfielders, but it seems pretty clear that rios on right batting second and johnson in left batting first (adams 9th) is the best, with catalanatto available as a pinch hitter and hinske as a batboy.
  • 2 weeks later...

Jays may have stolen BJ Ryan, but they'll never have Miguel Tejada. Or Melvin Mora, or Brian Roberts. Dropped 18 on the poor Indians last night. If only we had consistent pitching in the 2-5 spots. Daniel Cabrera will be a superstar though. O's will probly finish 3rd, Jays 4th, as always :club:

Jays may have stolen BJ Ryan, but they'll never have Miguel Tejada. Or Melvin Mora, or Brian Roberts. Dropped 18 on the poor Indians last night. If only we had consistent pitching in the 2-5 spots. Daniel Cabrera will be a superstar though. O's will probly finish 3rd, Jays 4th, as always :club:
O's will probably drop dead like they did last year.. I think Toronto will finish ahead of them.. Any team that has Corey Patterson on it usually loses.
Tampa Bay has a better shot at finishing third than Baltimore. Not that they will....it'll be Toronto.
  • 2 weeks later...

Halliday looked untouchable and the Jays' bats continue to pound the ball. We need to put a nice run together; do we play the Red Sox soon?

The Jays come out on top of another slugfest. Ryan didn't look too sharp, but he got the job done.Psst...others can post here too.