I Have Been Driving Uber/lyft For 3 Months..ask Me Anything

In my brief absence I have been doing something that I have found pretty interesting.

In the last 3 months I have become an Uber / Lyft driver while finalizing state requirements for licensing in my actual job. Some of you may not be familiar with Lyft as its not in your market, but its a competitor of Uber and its very successful in California. We are independent contractors so we can do both apps.

This has been of the most interesting "jobs" I have ever done. I meet all sort of amazing people everyday from professional baseball players, police officers, politicians to strippers and all sorts in between.

The stories that I have heard and the types of people I have met has truly changed me in the last couple of months.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From what I understand of Uber's long term plans, privatizing public transportation.. and even private transportation, is exactly their goal. I've heard they've spent something like 2 billion dollars

Can't watch now, but If that isn't a link to a scene from Reservoir dogs I'll be dissapointed

Perhaps your wife thinks uber is something entirely different.

First question is boring...but what percentage of your riders ask about your experience as an uber/lyft driver? Seems like every time I'm in one, that's the first thing my fellow riders ask!

First question is boring...but what percentage of your riders ask about your experience as an uber/lyft driver? Seems like every time I'm in one, that's the first thing my fellow riders ask!

Hmm I think about 80 percent of people ask that question...I have done now about 800 total rides so I have a lot of interesting stories.

Have you ever rated a passenger negatively, and why?

If you are normal 90 percent of the time you will get a 5..However I have on several occasions rated passengers lower for several reasons.

One thing that will get you a lower rating is if you make me wait a long time. You ordered an Uber, you know exactly where I am and when I am coming, but you still make me wait in front of your house for 10 minutes that might be a reason for a lower rating. Sometimes they will apologize and give a decent reason, so thats ok.

Lot of drivers will leave after 5 minutes and take the cancellations fee..I wont, Ill call and give them benefit of the doubt.

Another reason to get a lower rating is be condescending and obnoxious ..

These instances are very rare but they do happen.

Zach what are your thoughts on Uber and ridesharing as it relates to you our previous discussions on transit vs cars?

I know from my experience it does lower the drivers on the road as less people are driving in dense areas...It has helped immensely in high traffic areas in San Fran and Los Angeles...Especially in LA, where a decent transit system isnt that popular or available...

I know a client of mine absolutely hates uber. His family owns 3 taxi licenses

Yup. Unfortunately that's life. Technology came along and there is much debate over regulation and all that.

In San Francisco now starting Aug 1 you need to pay a registration fee to drive ride share.

Have you ever had someone throw up in your car? Do you have sick bags in your car, to be prepared for such an eventuality?

Good question. I do have sick bags. Up till now I haven't had any people throw up. I had one close call but we pulled over into a Taco Bell. Generally it's been good.

Buddy of mine had two drunk marines couple of weeks ago. One threw up in his car. Uber did get a $200 cleaning fee for him. But still not fun

Zach what are your thoughts on Uber and ridesharing as it relates to you our previous discussions on transit vs cars?

I know from my experience it does lower the drivers on the road as less people are driving in dense areas...It has helped immensely in high traffic areas in San Fran and Los Angeles...Especially in LA, where a decent transit system isnt that popular or available...

Hmm, I don't really have any strong feelings about them. I've never actually ordered an Uber myself. I have very little use for taxis/ubers, myself.

I like that they've disrupted a broken taxi industry.

I like that they're bringing a cheaper product to the market. I'm not sure I like how they tend to treat their drivers.

It's good to get people from out of their own cars (saves on parking spaces needed), but I'm not sure it cuts down on congestion - it could lead to more with drivers cruising in between fares. Maybe.

It's certainly not a reason to abandon transit planning and funding. There's still no more efficient way to move people in a dense city than rail transit.

From what I understand of Uber's long term plans, privatizing public transportation.. and even private transportation, is exactly their goal. I've heard they've spent something like 2 billion dollars in researching self driven car technology. I think their end game is to have a fleet of self driven cars they own, completely replacing people's private automobiles. Benjamin Walker's theory of everything podcast (which is excellent) had a series on the "Sharing economy" that was excellent.

• Like 1

From what I understand of Uber's long term plans, privatizing public transportation.. and even private transportation, is exactly their goal. I've heard they've spent something like 2 billion dollars in researching self driven car technology. I think their end game is to have a fleet of self driven cars they own, completely replacing people's private automobiles. Benjamin Walker's theory of everything podcast (which is excellent) had a series on the "Sharing economy" that was excellent.

Self driving cars wont replace mass transit. It's still a geometry problem. They're possibly the most overrated technological advancement out there.

Self driving cars wont replace mass transit. It's still a geometry problem. They're possibly the most overrated technological advancement out there.

I should add the caveat that I mean in big, dense cities. They could play a nice role in suburban transit situations.

Uber is just bleeding money right now and raising billions as they try to take over the world. Self driving cars are the future and they are a lot closer then people think. The technology is already available.

As an Uber driver:

1. has any passengers looked like one of us

2. did you pickup anyone that you knew

3. were you offer a tip

4. any Canadians

As an Uber driver:

1. has any passengers looked like one of us

2. did you pickup anyone that you knew

3. were you offer a tip

4. any Canadians

1. I picked up a dead ringer for Zach once. Pretty cool guy.

2. Fresno is a smaller town so you pick up friends of friends a lot. I also do some private rides for acquaintances. For example I'll pick up there 13 year old kid from football practice where they don't trust a stranger

3. Get tipped all the time. I get more tips on Lyft but have had several large uber tips. $10 frequently. $20 a couple times

4. I have had a couple of CAnadians ironically.

Umm, professional baseball player?

Yes several. But AAA players. We have the Fresno Grizzlies ( 2015 AAA champs btw) farm team of Houston.

The other day I drove the shortstop and a newly acquired Korean ball player. It was epic. The Korean guy reminded me a lot of Kawasaki( I know Japanese). He was hilarious and kept me laughing the whole time.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up 4 Latin ball players today. In town with the Alboqurque Isotopes. It was so weird. They barely spoke English and you can tell that bond they had. It truly felt like I had Edwin and Jose in the car. Cool guys getting acclaimed to the US thru baseball.