Charity Tournament For Bryan Micon

As many of you probably know, my friend Bryan Micon was recently charged by the Nevada Attorney General with "one count of operating an unlicensed interactive gaming system." He could face between 8 and 20 years in jail if convicted.

What I'd like to do is organize a charity poker tournament to help pay for his legal fees. Say, a 20 dollar buy-in with 100 percent of the funds going to his GoFundMe account. The winner would get ... I don't know, a limited edition poker hat signed by someone famous, or something like that, which might become a collectors item some day.

The basic message of the event would be, "online poker is not a crime."

So here is what I'm wondering:

1) Would would it take to get someone like Daniel involved? No doubt we could raise more money if some high profile players got involved. Like, "Hey, come play poker with Daniel Negreanu and raise money for a good cause." People would go for that.

2) We need a venue to host the event, so I'm thinking PokerStars. I fear that SWC is too small a site right now to raise a meaningful amount of money. Any possibility of that?

Daniel, do you forgive Micon for the Choice Center cult accusations? Extra karma points if you do, and I think it would be super classy if you agreed to play in a charity poker tournament for him at this stressful time.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right? I mean, it's not like Micon is a German.     Or maybe he is, I don't know.

Its not legal minutiae. He was operating an unlicensed poker room from US soil, in the one jurisdiction that would take it most seriously. He clearly wasn't the developer, but do you think Russ Hamilt

No; it says right in the first line-it's his friend. Jeez

I doubt Poker Stars is going to welcome an event to support somebody who was obviously operating a site from US soil against US law.

There is a distinction between playing from the US which is not illegal. Operating a site for Americans from US soil which is clearly illegal and operating a site from a jurisdiction where it is legal to do so and offering your games to everybody in the World which is more of a question.

I have nothing against Micon but operating from the US just wasn't smart.

Micon always described himself as the site pro and affiliate manager, so whether he personally operated anything remains unclear. I don't think he had the technical chops for it, so I doubt it.

But legal minutia aside, Micon is a stand up guy. He never hurt anyone. He always paid his debts. He fought collusion and called out cheaters. SWC offered a good service at a fair price and created nothing but value for the poker world.

So that's why I'm organizing the tournament. Poker needs more guys like that.

I like Micon quite a bit, but I think 'stand up guy' is pretty low on the list of phrases most would use to describe him.

I'm not going to hate, though. If he wants to cash in on his poker martyr status, god speed black emperor...

You should get the band back together for a Neverwin Radio Telethon Event, featuring Dustin and the gang. Have Karina Jet and Hollywood Dave manning the Gift Lines.

• Like 2

But legal minutia aside...

Its not legal minutiae. He was operating an unlicensed poker room from US soil, in the one jurisdiction that would take it most seriously. He clearly wasn't the developer, but do you think Russ Hamilton coded UB? That's how it works. You have an idea, you pay the techies to make it happen.

I think it's all bullshit regulation, but it was not a smart thing to do. "Bitcoin Idealists" are all this way. They have huge narratives and theories and ideals until OOPS! They collide with reality and it bites them in the ass. Roger Ver renounced his US citizenship and is now mad that he can't get a Visa to return (BECAUSE ACCORDING TO PERFECT-WORLD LEGAL THEORY, MUH LAWYER SAID IT WOULDN"T BE A PROBLEM!!!... even though its a totally discretionary process and he may be a formally prohibited-from-entry party anyway under the Aggravated Felony provisions, since he has an old conviction involving explosives)

I feel for the guy. I really do, but play stupid games... He should just accept that the US is in his rear-view and move forward. The smartest thing he did was leave before the indictment came down. Avoid international travel to places that will execute an INTERPOL warrant on behalf of the US and that's that Or, go face the music, take your 6 months of anal rape and move on with your life that way as a US citizen.

• Like 3

Hey um.. "Nate" since I have your ear.. do you know what the story of the beef between Karina Jett and You... er.. I mean, Micon is? I thought they were friends, but she went on the Mark Hoke show last month, and when asked about Micon's legal troubles, she said " he's been a punk for the last 10 years, and an arrogant ******* for the last 3-4 years doing the bitcoin thing" and basically threw him under the bus. I thought those two were friends? Did you not pay her a promised fee for appearing on the Donk Down show all those years? Refuse to stake her in a 3-6 Omaha 8 game?

So I just want to clarify something and give ya'll a quick update. No, I am not Micon nor do I have any affiliation with SWC. I don't even know Micon that well except that we've played a lot of OFC/p and Yahtzee together and I know he's for real.

What makes it personal for me is that he has a family and two year old daughter. I also have a two year old daughter and the thought of a little girl growing up without her father just breaks my heart. We're talking about an alleged crime with no identifiable victim whatsoever. It's like throwing somebody in a cage for 20 years for selling a bag of weed.

So this is my plan. Today I'm going out to buy a whole bunch of poker visors. Those visors will be prizes in the tournament. I'm going to pitch the idea to as many celebrities and quasi-celebrities as I can think of and ask them to sign a visor. If sombody really famous agrees to it, those visors might have real collectors value some day. Plus, how cool would it be to play poker with somebody like Charlie Sheen via webcam? Pretty cool, yes? (I don't know Charlie, I just picked that name as an example).

Also, I'm still looking for a site to host the event. Best case scenario would be to partner with a company like PokerStars to help with promotion and what not. But as the mod said, that's probably a long shot. I think PokerStars is trying to maintain a squeaky-clean image for the regulated market. But who knows. All I can do is ask and see what happens. Other options exist, like maybe a play-money network like Zynga or yahoo games or something like that.

I think it would also be cool to set up webcams and broadcast the event over twitch.tv or something like that. Just throwing ideas out there. That is all.

What's the coffee situation like for Micon down there? The odd thing about a lot of the best coffee growing regions like certain Latin-American countries and Kenya is that they don't actually drink coffee there, and don't know shit about roasting it. That's why if I were on the lamb, I'd hit Ethiopia. Could you pass that along to Micon?

Answer me this, Micon: rules are rules, who are we without our integrity?

In Nazi Germany, it was against the rules to be a Jew. How is this any different from Micon's situation today?

• Like 1

In Nazi Germany, it was against the rules to be a Jew. How is this any different from Micon's situation today?

I dont understand the question and i certainly wont respond to it.