answer to quizz question #8

I was a little surprises to see so such a lopsided outcome, but having said that I think it was because I didn't quote pose the question properly. I should have made it more clear that my read on Gavin was that he flopped two pair. I then thought he may have a set as well, but I was certain that I either A) had the best hand on the flop or B) had the live flush draw. Sure there was an outside chance that he had a King high flush but I really didn't think so. I think the call on the turn based on that information is very close, but the way I wrote it, it was a clear fold. Now even if I wrote it properly it's still close, but likely a fold. The way you'd proceed early on in the tournament would depend on what you are trying to accomplish.A) Do you have any plans that conflict with the tournament? (I did)B) Are you at a tough table?C) Are you not at your best mentally?D) Do you think a big stack could benefit you?E) If you call and lose, do you feel comfortable playing a short stack? There are a million questions to ask yourself, and since it is a really close situation the best course of action might vary. Folding is likely the optimal play, but I can make a strong case for calling there based on outside circumstances. Did that make sense? LOL :roll: Oh, by the way I called and folded on the river... Gavin flopped a set of deuces.

The way I read it...It was just too early to get involved in some cheeky shenanigans... with a respected player... early in a tournament... when you amorphously know you're beat... but may or may not have live outs... but you don't know because you don't know how beat you are. But, Daniel, you're the coolest guy ever because you actually respond to people's posts so you still rock. Even if I'd have folded in a heartbeat.

I was one of the allin brigade but I think I was the 1st (maybe not) to suggest call as the correct play. Folding wouldnt have been an option here if I had the read you had (correct read) and I was surprised most people erred on the fold option. Poker would be a very boring game if we all played the same which is why I love this sort of discussion. Never seen the quiz before this question and look forward to the next one.ariston

I wounldn't say you were wrong at all. As you can see the correct answer depends on so many variables, and is so close that it really comes down to personal preference.Oh so you asked us a question with no wrong answer?Jeez, it's like a tie. Everybody wins. Ties suck. They're the major flaw of hockey. Besides that whole "not playing this year" thing.

Results:Call: 7% Fold: 81% All In: 11%

... and I was surprised most people erred on the fold option...
 I think the call on the turn based on that information is very close, but the way I wrote it, it was a clear fold.   Now even if I wrote it properly it's still close, but likely a fold.   ...  There are a million questions to ask yourself, and since it is a really close situation the best course of action might vary.  Folding is likely the optimal play, but I can make a strong case for calling there based on outside circumstances...
Seems pretty clear to me1 Fold2 Call - under the circumstances3 All in - not even worth mentioning.Ariston, how do you figure 'most people erred on the fold option'? :wall:

personally.....i wud have folded considering he is pounding the flop and the turn and it dosnt seem like a bet Gavin wud have made with the top pair AND the A high :club: draw! from what u said of the situation.....it most likely looked like a set since he called from BB with a small pair that had flopped a set....or suited connecters that hit.....i.e. J-9......so it wud have been a fold @ that situation @ that spot in the tourny for me......thanx for another gr8 Question DN......

I wounldn't say you were wrong at all. As you can see the correct answer depends on so many variables, and is so close that it really comes down to personal preference.Oh so you asked us a question with no wrong answer?Jeez, it's like a tie. Everybody wins. Ties suck. They're the major flaw of hockey. Besides that whole "not playing this year" thing.
blah a tie aka a sister kisser...no one likes them.

DN made the wrong play and knows it. Now it is about wording lol.A call is the absolute worse play you can make, and DN did it. The math does'nt support it, position dam sure does'nt support it....nothing does. The correct play was a fold...it's that simple.

I'm not one to say I'm the best player in the world, but I think calling is the worst play here. Unless you have can call out the 2 cards that Gavin had, no turn card makes you feel comfortable with the exception of the 2 queens. If a heart hits the turn and he bets, it would be tough to call with the high possibility he had the A:heart: or K:heart:. If a blank hits and he bets, he could have 2 pair or a set. I just think you throw this in the muck and wait for a better situation to commit a lot of chips.

If I was playing normally aggressive, I wouldn't have called the flop, but a reraise to him was in order since I may have gotten a free card on the turn(or cheap card if he was showing weakness(then i might bluff)) It all depends on the player and I like to set my aggressive image up early. But I'd like to bet out that straight draw or that Ace heart draw (if he is trying to buy that pot from u or trying to take a stand) if possible, making sure to be careful not to go completely committed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having a terrible streak recently both online and in B&M and wondering what I am doing wrong. It seems that whenever I move all-in with the best hand I am getting outdrawn. Figuring that this could be streaky I thought a review of my general playing style would be a good thing...So I took the quiz and apart from Question 2 I have been correct (or at least agreed with Daniel's 'erring') on every question!It has given me the faith that I have just been unlucky to hit a streak like that and no doubt many people have suffered much worse losing runs. So, chin up for me!

• 2 weeks later...

That seens like a very odd sitution. First he checks his set of twos, knowing a smart player would likey also check to try to hit the free flush. Then he reraises an odd amount. Not enough to push someoff a ace(or king) flush draw. Then On the turn then bets an very large amount( possible 2/5- 3/5 of his stack. Killing himself if daniel was smooth calling the reraise with a made flush. ALso why did danial call the turn bet anyway? There must have been 30 ways he was beat.