My question is that I rarely ever slowplay any hands that I get into. For example if im in a pot with 2 other people and lets say I have AK and the flop comes something like K-2-6 rainbow, should I be betting at this every time as I usually do in first position, or should i be checking this hoping for someone to bet into me. this is just a hypthetical situation in which i raised preflop and got 2 other callers

My question is that I rarely ever slowplay any hands that I get into. For example if im in a pot with 2 other people and lets say I have AK and the flop comes something like K-2-6 rainbow, should I be betting at this every time as I usually do in first position, or should i be checking this hoping for someone to bet into me. this is just a hypthetical situation in which i raised preflop and got 2 other callers
You should basically always be betting. First off giving free cards is stupid, second it's really fishy (suspicious I mean) to raise preflop, and then not bet the flop when it comes like that. To me that SCREAMS you nailed the flop. If they expect you to bet, you should oglige them, maybe they'll think you have AQ and their KJo they called 2 cold with is good and will raise you. :)But anyway, TPTK is not something you should even remotely slowplay. Even on a rainbow flop. I mean ok, if you know for SURE some crazy-LAG/Maniac is in late position, you could check-raise him, but if you know he's there, why not bet, he raises and you get to 3bet now?Btw, I was speaking more for limit, but even in NL this will mostly apply. Though if Mr. Maniac is in late and will ALWAYS bluff, then in NL you could knowingly trap him. But normally don't.

I think its rarely a good idea to slowplay. People seem to love the play, but its not worth it most of the time. Especially on the hand you mentioned, I don't see a reason why you would ever slowplay something as weak as TPTK.If you have the absolute nuts, you may want to slowplay it in order to try and let someone hit their hand and really pay you off, but even in those cases it can be better to come out betting a decent amount from the start.

Slowplay hands where you WANT to give draws a chance to catch up with second best hand. Bet and raise everything else.You don't want anyone to catch up to TPTK or top two pair or whatnot. You want them to catch up to a flopped full house with a flush or something.

Bruce Lee said something about fighting I think applies to slowplaying in poker - to paraphrase, he said that it was best to use the simplest technique that would work on your opponent, and save flashy "tricks" for people simple things won't work on. When you slow-play, you are basically electing to gamble more. You're getting wild and tricky in the hope of knocking your opponent out in one punch. You might win a whole stack if you slowplay, but you might also get run down. So I, personally, elect to almost never slowplay, on two principles, the first being the idea that I'm a better poker player then most, and I can win a lot of decent sized pots instead of a bunch of big ones, and the second being that if I need a slowplay to work, or WANT one to work badly, I want it to be a horrible shock.

• 2 weeks later...

Slow playing tptk is a mistake imo.People need to realize the fundamental fact of Hold'em....1. tptk is NEVER the nuts2. Two pair is NEVER the nutsTrips is the MINIMUM nuts for any given board. Meaning, the best hand is always at least trips.Slow play monsters, bet pairs to make drawing not profitable, but low enough to entice calling. This means you have to assume what your opponent's draw is. If it's an obvious flush draw, then you need to bet so that they are adding 37% or more of the pot so that you have the better pot odds.And in limit games, slow playing big hands like AA is ALWAYS a mistake. You can't shake people out of the pot once they've picked something up. In NL you generally have that option by pushing all in.

Slowplaying top pair on the flop is never a good idea; you're giving them a free card. If they are on a draw or have middle / bottom pair, they will probably check after you to see the turn. Then when you bet the turn and they don't hit their draw, they'll fold and you will recieve minimum profit. Bet the flop for 2 reasons: get more information and kill gutshot / backdoor draws.The only time you can profit from checkraising the flop with top pair is if they also hit top pair, with a decent but lower kicker than you. This doesn't occur all that often though.Good time to slow play is if you hit the absolute, or near absolute nuts. Limit and NL slowplay are very different in my opinion. In no limit, you can basically call bets all the way down to the river (to represent a drawing hand) hoping for them to bluff half their stack away to try to chase you out of the pot.EDIT: I personally don't slowplay anything below a nut flush. It's just too easy for your straight and trips (exception if there are fewer people in the pot) to be outdrawn. Betting into a huge array of opponents will usually get you at least a call or two.

i disagree guys.in general, if i have AK and flop comes K62, yeah i'll bet out, for sure. but, in doing that, you are setting yourself up for a slowplay. if they know that you always bet out with TPTK or something, and check when you missed, you should start check-raising. I know that TPTK is never the nuts, but in a flop like K62 rainbow, there are only 3 hands you could possibly worry about, and you are gonna lose even more by betting than by check-raising probably. AA, 66, and 22 all have you completely massacred, and its not like betting your TPTK will solve this problem. i think that every once in a while, its good to try to trap here. if they get a free turn and hit kings up or something, they probably would have called your bet with top pair, or if they hit like sixes up, they are bad because they called your preflop raise with a 6. and if they hit a set, they had a 5 percent chance to do that, and i dont believe the possibility that they will hit a set is reason enough to try to get opponents out on the flop. basically, in this flop, K62, when you have a reputation of leading with a strong hand, a check-raise is correct. if the board was suited, i still might check, and raise to a bet. if a third suited comes on the turn, you might be good enough to release your hand, and they probably woulda chased anyway with a flush draw. open to debate, but thats how i feel. play it hellmuth style and trap. but in general, leading is correct; a slowplay is most effective if used sparingly.

Slowplaying makes sense against certain types of players.If a player bluffs too much when checked to, you want to give him a chance to bluff into your TPTK.If a player bets middle pair too often when check to, you want to give him a chance to bet that and perhaps check raise on the river.If you are playing no limit and your opponent will call an all in with top pair and a jack kicker on the turn if it's checked, but not on the flop, then perhaps you want to check-call on the flop and push on the turn.Again, slowplaying depends strongly on your opponents. If you never slowplay, savvy opponents will only let you win small pots and take your money in the big pots, while against poor opponents, never slowplaying may cost you money.In tournament situations, especially shorthanded, slowplaying is sometimes more correct than in cash game situations.