Villain's on his first cycle, and PokerTracker aren't fixing us Mac users up yet, so this is without reads.Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)saw flop|saw showdownMP1 ($51.10)MP2 ($18)Hero ($57.70)CO ($17.35)Button ($14)SB ($49.50)BB ($47.25)UTG ($29.50)UTG+1 ($53.60)Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Kdiamond.gif, Kspade.gif. 4 folds, Hero raises to $1.2, 3 folds, BB calls $0.70.Flop: ($2.65) Tspade.gif, 5diamond.gif, Kheart.gif(2 players)BB checks, Hero bets $2, BB raises to $5, Hero calls $3Turn: ($12.65) 9spade.gifBB checks, Hero ???

yeah all you're really worried about is JQ making a straight... when you call it will be on him to try to push you off again on the turn, so let him. a reraise here prevents him from hanging himself further if he is bluffing

Firstly, his raise represents a made hand here I think, or QJ which is the only draw. It is extremely rare for an OOP villain to bluff-raise a cbet when a K falls.This hand is all about position. Because you have it here, I might advocate a call and then raise his turn bet. If you were OOP I would definately repop it here.

I dunno about flat calling here...He's got1) 2 pair or a set, in which case we're not going to have problems getting money in the pot the hand plays itself2) Exactly Q-J, which we really don't want to slowplay against, not just because we don't want to let him draw cheaply, but because we only have one more street left of value here.3) Complete air that was taking a stab at this and is in all likelihood done.I raise to 12-15ishEdit: oh yeah, and his light check-raise, makes me lean towards this being #2

Nuts, he could be probing with the case king. KQ or KJ.

Since he check raised, you can be pretty sure he'll fire again on the turn no matter what hits. There's no way to be sure he'll call a reraise. I think calling will get more money in over the long run.

I dunno about flat calling here...He's got1) 2 pair or a set, in which case we're not going to have problems getting money in the pot the hand plays itself2) Exactly Q-J, which we really don't want to slowplay against, not just because we don't want to let him draw cheaply, but because we only have one more street left of value here.3) Complete air that was taking a stab at this and is in all likelihood done.I raise to 12-15ishEdit: oh yeah, and his light check-raise, makes me lean towards this being #2
This makes no sense. If he has 2 pair or a smaller set then we can get his money on a later street. Sure if we raise and he has that, then he sticks along. If he has QJ then we're a huge favorite and we can let a card peel off and allow him to make a mistake on a later street because we didn't telegraph we have a monster. If he has air and we just call, then he may think he can fire the second bullet on a semi-bluff.The point of calling is that we allow him to continue taking the lead and perhaps make a mistake by bluffing off more chips. And if he did hit a big hand on the flop, then we're way ahead and it should still be easy to get the money in later.
This makes no sense. If he has 2 pair or a smaller set then we can get his money on a later street. Sure if we raise and he has that, then he sticks along. If he has QJ then we're a huge favorite and we can let a card peel off and allow him to make a mistake on a later street because we didn't telegraph we have a monster. If he has air and we just call, then he may think he can fire the second bullet on a semi-bluff.The point of calling is that we allow him to continue taking the lead and perhaps make a mistake by bluffing off more chips. And if he did hit a big hand on the flop, then we're way ahead and it should still be easy to get the money in later.
How does this make no sense? I simply think he shows up with Q-J here more often than air. C'mon... a light check raise with air? Give me a break.Are you going to slow down if a 9 or A falls on the turn? Maybe then I could see why you'd call.If you can't three bet this, then what exactly are you three betting?
How does this make no sense? I simply think he shows up with Q-J here more often than air. C'mon... a light check raise with air? Give me a break.Are you going to slow down if a 9 or A falls on the turn? Maybe then I could see why you'd call.If you can't three bet this, then what exactly are you three betting?
You're not three betting it because you chance folding out a hand you're ahead of. If you just call, you give him a better opportunity to bet the turn with his draw. If he isn't on a draw, and has a hand like two pair or a lower set, then he's still getting more money in on the turn or river. A raise here will often kill the action from hands that might lead out if you let them think they still have control of the hand.
You're not three betting it because you chance folding out a hand you're ahead of. If you just call, you give him a better opportunity to bet the turn with his draw. If he isn't on a draw, and has a hand like two pair or a lower set, then he's still getting more money in on the turn or river. A raise here will often kill the action from hands that might lead out if you let them think they still have control of the hand.
Besides the case king and really crappily played air, what hands are these exactly?
Besides the case king and really crappily played air, what hands are these exactly?
I have no clue what you're getting at here. The opponent either has a strong hand, or weak/drawing hand. By calling you give yourself an opportunity to get action from hands that fall into both groups. By raising you get half of that group to fold. Do I have to spell it out for you? You have position, don't give them a reason not to fire another bullet. If they have TT or 55 then you're getting their stack either way you play it, so there's no reason not to give a bad hand a little more rope.
I have no clue what you're getting at here. The opponent either has a strong hand, or weak/drawing hand. By calling you give yourself an opportunity to get action from hands that fall into both groups. By raising you get half of that group to fold. Do I have to spell it out for you? You have position, don't give them a reason not to fire another bullet. If they have TT or 55 then you're getting their stack either way you play it, so there's no reason not to give a bad hand a little more rope.
The point is that the case K is so rare, and this is air like never. We're not worried about him having power hands which has been established. So to the rest of his range, the lone draw, where this betting pattern actually makes a ton of sense our hand really doesn't matter unless he makes the draw AND the board pairs. Raise.
The point is that the case K is so rare, and this is air like never. We're not worried about him having power hands which has been established. So to the rest of his range, the lone draw, where this betting pattern actually makes a ton of sense our hand really doesn't matter unless he makes the draw AND the board pairs. Raise.
Couldn't disagree more. This is a King more often than a draw. Also if he is halfway competent he is not reopening the betting with a strong draw to the nuts.If you allow for any suited King calling in the BB there are many more combinations of a Kx than QJ. You've also got pocket pairs testing the water this way, AT, QT, JT, 9T as well. There are plenty hands that the average .25/.50 player will be here with. The only one that can reasonably overtake us is QJ. Raising is scaring off value more often than not.
Couldn't disagree more. This is a King more often than a draw. Also if he is halfway competent he is not reopening the betting with a strong draw to the nuts.
I think you're right here, so QFT.There is, however, an interesting phenomenon that it if we conclude that it's not a draw from the raise and don't reraise, then reopening the betting stops being a mistake.

Pause to give the image you are tanking, then smooth call.I am not putting him on a draw here. There is no mention of him playing a very tricky or aggressive style. I will say his range is wider because of the small raise preflop but at this point all you need to worry about is getting him all in by the river. He has defined his hand as a strong one. If you raise here, he is going to credit you for a monster. If you fake pause and let your counter dwindle ever so slightly you are going to improve your chances that he will fire the turn if he is trying to make a move at this pot. This also will give false confidence to hands like two-pair and a lower set.Either way, expect him to bet the turn, and that is where you raise.

So, in principle, Temp Nuts is right about now worrying about case cards. Notice that's "cards" and not a case card. A single card in someone's hand can appear in so many combinations, which is really what you're looking for here. I mean, there are 4 combos of AK, 4 of KQ, 4 of KJ, etc. Becuase we are only looking for him to have one card, it can appear in many combinations of hands, which make it much more likely.If I think that the villain will stack off with 1 pair here, then I am going to 3 bet him all day long. The fact is that his range is rather wide since he only had to call a small raise from the BB. He could have any king. He could even c/r with a T, probing to see where he's at. He could have 2 pair or a set. He could have a straight draw and I think (only becuase the size of his raise) that he could have air, which is unlikely.Temp Nuts makes another point about "if you're not 3-betting KK here, what are you 3-betting," which is a good point, but you gotta understand that at these stakes, players probably aren't paying attention. They're not likely taking notes saying "player 3-bet with AK on KT5r flop after c/r but flatted wth KK on same flop." That factor makes it less important to mix up your play with hand ranges and how aggressive you are. In other games where players are paying attention, this is important becuase you don't want your flat call to give away your hand.Really, I think that we gotta flat call here. The villain's range is absolutely annihilated by our hand and the only time he has outs is if he's drawing to a straight. If we give him a OESD draw 33% of the time, and that draw will hit on the turn roughly 18% of the time, and since we're only giving him that hand as 33% of his range, really, we'd only worry about an A or a 9, 6% of the time here. The other consideration is that when we 3 bet, he's probably folding his hands that aren't >1 pair and since he will likely not show up with better than KQ if he has 1 pair, we're really narrowing the range of hands that he can pay us off with. In short, we allow him to play too well against us if we 3 bet him on this dry flop since we're not likely to get action unless he can beat AK.I really like a call on the flop becuase we have position. If we were OOP, I'd go for a 3 bet. I think you just let him bet the turn and get a raise in there.

So, in principle, Temp Nuts is right about now worrying about case cards. Notice that's "cards" and not a case card. A single card in someone's hand can appear in so many combinations, which is really what you're looking for here. I mean, there are 4 combos of AK, 4 of KQ, 4 of KJ, etc. Becuase we are only looking for him to have one card, it can appear in many combinations of hands, which make it much more likely.If I think that the villain will stack off with 1 pair here, then I am going to 3 bet him all day long. The fact is that his range is rather wide since he only had to call a small raise from the BB. He could have any king. He could even c/r with a T, probing to see where he's at. He could have 2 pair or a set. He could have a straight draw and I think (only becuase the size of his raise) that he could have air, which is unlikely.Temp Nuts makes another point about "if you're not 3-betting KK here, what are you 3-betting," which is a good point, but you gotta understand that at these stakes, players probably aren't paying attention. They're not likely taking notes saying "player 3-bet with AK on KT5r flop after c/r but flatted wth KK on same flop." That factor makes it less important to mix up your play with hand ranges and how aggressive you are. In other games where players are paying attention, this is important becuase you don't want your flat call to give away your hand.Really, I think that we gotta flat call here. The villain's range is absolutely annihilated by our hand and the only time he has outs is if he's drawing to a straight. If we give him a OESD draw 33% of the time, and that draw will hit on the turn roughly 18% of the time, and since we're only giving him that hand as 33% of his range, really, we'd only worry about an A or a 9, 6% of the time here. The other consideration is that when we 3 bet, he's probably folding his hands that aren't >1 pair and since he will likely not show up with better than KQ if he has 1 pair, we're really narrowing the range of hands that he can pay us off with. In short, we allow him to play too well against us if we 3 bet him on this dry flop since we're not likely to get action unless he can beat AK.I really like a call on the flop becuase we have position. If we were OOP, I'd go for a 3 bet. I think you just let him bet the turn and get a raise in there.
Bolded is the only problem I have with this thinking. Generally 50NL is one of the toughest online games due to the type of players it attracts (too rich for newbs, too poor for degenerates). Much harder than 100NL or 200NL. But that's just my opinion.