Quiz Question #23

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: What Would You Do? (209 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the Best Option?

1. Fold (12 votes [5.74%])

Percentage of vote: 5.74%

2. Call (119 votes [56.94%])

Percentage of vote: 56.94%

3. Raise to 3000 (75 votes [35.89%])

Percentage of vote: 35.89%

4. Go All In (3 votes [1.44%])

Percentage of vote: 1.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Shimmering Wang

Shimmering Wang

Daddy Wears the Daddy-Pants

• Members
  • 6,362 posts
  • Interests:I am very into ducks.

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:05 AM

This is a pretty absurd discussion.Given OP's analysis, calling is the play. If he fires the turn, and we are forced to fold, we're still fine chipwise, given the blinds/antes.If he checks, we bet the turn.I don't get it. What's the question? We don't want to play a big pot here, and if he's ahead, we'll shut down on the turn. If he catches up with a paint, we'll ALSO shut down on the turn. If he suddenly gets out of line, completely betraying our read, good for him.Wang

#42 Bromich

Bromich

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:59 AM

It seems to be a blatantly obvious call. It seems obvious unless it's some sort of trick question, but I don't see how. Of course I've been wrong before and will be wrong again :club:

#43 plushpoker06

plushpoker06

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Karaoke, Poker - Dealers choice
  • Favorite Poker Game:No favorites, but been playing Texas Holdem

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:04 PM

This is what people bump into all the time..I have poket 9's and the opponent(s) next to me, in my assumption, may have something better.. Pre-flop id either call or raise depending on the pairs.. But I call post flop given the fact i have pocket 9's.. After the flop, I may fold IF my opponent(s) raise higher anyways.. Because of one or two things.. An ace will hit on the turn or the river anyways and chances are slim that you can run trips or better anyways..Thank you for your time :)

#44 simo_8ball

simo_8ball

Multipass

• Members
  • 9,277 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO/NLHE

Posted 16 December 2006 - 03:52 PM

View Postplushpoker06, on Friday, December 15th, 2006, 3:04 AM, said:

This is what people bump into all the time..I have poket 9's and the opponent(s) next to me, in my assumption, may have something better.. Pre-flop id either call or raise depending on the pairs.. But I call post flop given the fact i have pocket 9's.. After the flop, I may fold IF my opponent(s) raise higher anyways.. Because of one or two things.. An ace will hit on the turn or the river anyways and chances are slim that you can run trips or better anyways..Thank you for your time :club:
I think, raise in the flop with pocket 9's will be the possibility of higher pair. But the 9's are on the river possibility, I might check for fear of the trap. Do agree of with playing poker analysis?

#45 blakheart

blakheart

Bankroll manangement???

• Members
  • 1,968 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Any I can beat

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:14 AM

call and reeavluate on the turn. You are most likely ahead, and a raise to $3000 may get called by an iferior hand (AK etc.). I think you get just as good of info by taking one off and seeing what villian does on the turn as you do by raising, and it is cheaper information.

#46 AceofSpader

AceofSpader

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Money, Money, Women, and did I say money?
  • Favorite Poker Game:Texas Hold'em Limit or No Limit

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:49 AM

My intuition is telling me to raise to see my position in hand strength.If opponent has any hand at all, I normally have them bet before I do so I can suck them in.Depending on the hand that I have.JJ would definately make me raise.Done it many a times.AoS
I am too modest a player to show the full extent of my abilities! =)

and I am only letting you win to make you feel like you are doing well! =)

#47 Acid_Knight

Acid_Knight

I'm what's left. I'm what's right.

• Members
  • 9,292 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:You vs Me. Cagematch.

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:33 PM

I would call here given that the OP's analysis included the bit of information that there is likely to be only ONE continuation bet.Also, DN mentioned in a his most recent blog that:"People often ask me for "one tip" that should help change their game. Well, if I had just one shot, I think this would be it: in order to win a WPT event you can't be afraid to let them catch up, even if that means they outdraw you sometimes."I think this is about minimizing losses. Raising to 2500 (or 3K, which is basically the same) will protect your hand, but it will cost you 2.5 to 3 times as many chips if he does actually have a hand. You're not really risking that much by just calling and letting him draw to his 6 outs (if he's behind) for free. If you know that he's unlikely to fire 2 bullets with nothing, then I think smooth calling here is far and away the best play.I think if I have JT it definitely changes the scenario. Now I can know that I am beating all PPs smaller than Jacks, except for the 4s and 7s, and that hands that have a J in them are less likely. Based on the villain's range, it shouldn't make that much of a difference, but every bit counts.

#48 copernicus

copernicus

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,676 posts
  • Interests:Hockey; poker...duh

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:40 AM

You are a coin flip favorite to be ahead. His cb gives you no additional information.You are WA/WB at this point and that calls for keeping the pot small, so you are certainly not going to raise. Since you are a favorite in the hand, you arent going to fold, especially since his turn action is going to tell you whether you should play further..ie you arent likely to make a mistake on the turn. Call and see what his turn action is, value bet if he doesnt show strength, fold if he does.

Wave upon wave of Demented Avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

#49 thapokerdon9

thapokerdon9

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:56 AM

I would have to say that raising 3000 would be the best option here to get a better definition of the villian's hand. Smooth calling presents too many problems because your still not sure where your at in the hand plus it gives villian a chance to hit one of the two overcards he's probably holding. Plus if you only call and your opponent has two overs he's not going to bet again unless he hits. I only like smooth calling to build a pot but this opponent is only going to bet again on the turn if hes building a pot for himself. I say with a hand thats as vulnerable in this spot I would raise the 3000 to find out where I was but also hopefully to take the pot down here because I feel its likely I have the best hand.

#50 CBass1724

CBass1724

Wanna see more?

• Members
  • 3,171 posts
  • Location:A little town called none of your god damn business
  • Interests:Football and poker
  • Favorite Poker Game:Dropping my panties to my knees.

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:47 AM

Easiest quiz question ever!You obviously shove all in and pray for a call because you know the 9 is coming on the river.Duh.

#51 MychCumstien

MychCumstien

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:flying airplanes, playing live music, and of course, gambling :)

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:29 PM

This sounds like an easy call. Especially if he usually doesn't fire another bullet on the turn. $1000 to call $2500, getting 2.5 to 1 on my money. I don't like raising here, as I still don't have much information as to where I'm at. Plus I like the sage old advice "miss the set, don't bet". While raising is definitely an option to define my hand and see where I'm at, I would prefer smooth calling (folding isn't much of an option) here, keeping the pot small and see where I'm at on the turn. :club: If I had JT, I would raise here with top pair, to potentially knock him off higher unpaired cards that could beat me on the turn.
"This is no longer a vacation. It's a F#$%ing quest; it's a F#$%ing quest for fun..." - Clark Griswold

#52 boggzilla

boggzilla

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:43 PM

View PostDanielNegreanu, on Monday, November 27th, 2006, 7:17 PM, said:

Blinds: 100-200 no anteYour Stack: 10,000Villian Stack: 10,000 Villian (I'm learning :-) raises to 600 from EP. You know that he won't raise from that position with small suited connectors. You put him on the following range of hands:-Pocket Pair-A J or better-KQ You are next to the button with 99 and call. All others fold.Flop: J :D 7 :club: 4 :ts Villian bets 1000. You know that Villian will likely make a continuation bet with any of the hands he has. You also know that the player is unlikely to fire any more bullets at the pot unless he has a hand.
If he is unlikely to fire turn unless he has a hand then why raise? Unless you think he will fold a better hand? I treat is as a float. It is a pretty dry flop so call and bet the turn for value?

#53 Appleman

Appleman

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:33 PM

I'd smooth call. If he is unlikely to fire another bullet if he doesnt have it what good is it too reraise and risk more chips when you can get the answer you want by calling and seeing if he fires on the turn.

#54 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:25 AM

Smooth call and see another card. If he fires again, you can raise or fold depending on the board texture.
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users