Jump to content


Universal Health Care...


  • Please log in to reply
2297 replies to this topic

#2281 akoff

akoff

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • Location:The 700 Level
  • Interests:Golf, investing, Eagles football, golf, baseball, coaching Little League and golf
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

With the massive amount of people signing up this has been an amazing success. All the people who didn't have coverage but were anxiously awaiting it...the numbers are staggering - wait, what the - the web site hardly works? people aren't knocking down the doors to get in? cost went up? oh my god who could have seen this trainwreck coming...LOL
"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
~ Senator Barack H. Obama

#2282 phlegm

phlegm

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

View Postakoff, on 04 November 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

With the massive amount of people signing up this has been an amazing success. All the people who didn't have coverage but were anxiously awaiting it...the numbers are staggering - wait, what the - the web site hardly works? people aren't knocking down the doors to get in? cost went up? oh my god who could have seen this trainwreck coming...LOL
These type of racist rants are not welcome here.
I am not an alcoholic

I am a drunk

Alcoholics go to meetings

#2283 akoff

akoff

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • Location:The 700 Level
  • Interests:Golf, investing, Eagles football, golf, baseball, coaching Little League and golf
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:05 AM

some updated numbers - granted virtually nobody counts North Dakota but...well the numbers there speak for themselves. Nice work BHO and band of thieves.

http://www.weeklysta...nce_766531.html
"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
~ Senator Barack H. Obama

#2284 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

    Limit Holdem Dinosaur

  • Root Admin
  • 26,936 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scarberia

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

It’s not quite time to freak out over Obamacare’s enrollment number


First, we can compare the rollout to that of the Massachusetts health care law, which had 123 enrollees sign up during the first month of coverage. That ended up accounting for 0.3 percent of first-year enrollment. If we tally up 40,000 enrollees in the federal marketplace --and another 49,000 in the state exchanges, as counted by consulting firm Avalere Health --that works out to about 1.2 percent of the 7 million people the Congressional Budget Office has projected will sign up on the exchange in 2014.

Massachusetts eventually saw a really big spike in enrollment right before the individual mandate kicked in. You can see that in this chart from the New England Journal of Medicine (which Adrianna McIntyre discusses in an aptly titled post, "This chart should be getting more attention.").Posted Image

We can also look at Medicaid enrollment, which has outpaced some observers' expectations. There have been at least 440,000 Medicaid enrollments so far, according to Avalere. That would put Medicaid about 5 percent toward a projected enrollment of 9 million in 2014.
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#2285 akoff

akoff

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • Location:The 700 Level
  • Interests:Golf, investing, Eagles football, golf, baseball, coaching Little League and golf
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

the objective was to get people healthcare, affordable that they were going to pay for.... 9 million on medicaid is not a good thing
"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
~ Senator Barack H. Obama

#2286 NickCave

NickCave

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 966 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Marcel Marceau
  • Favorite Poker Game:No Pussy Blues

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

View Postakoff, on 12 November 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

the objective was to get people healthcare, affordable that they were going to pay for.... 9 million on medicaid is not a good thing

Well, really the objective was to get people healthcare, period, so the Medicaid bump is encouraging, isn't it? People who were previously uninsured, now with access to basic medical support? Surely you can't be against that...?

#2287 SuperJon

SuperJon

    <3

  • Members
  • 6,659 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

All I know is I enrolled last month, and my premium went down about $40/month with the same coverage and deductibles.

#2288 phlegm

phlegm

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostSuperJon, on 12 November 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

All I know is I enrolled last month, and my premium went down about $40/month with the same coverage and deductibles.
I can vouch for this. I also signed up and my premiums went from 1500 a month to about 25. Im also entitltled to world class doctors, and free transportation to and from the hospital. All my opiates and viagara are unlimited and free. God bless you BHO, and your genius vision for our health.
I am not an alcoholic

I am a drunk

Alcoholics go to meetings

#2289 NickCave

NickCave

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 966 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Marcel Marceau
  • Favorite Poker Game:No Pussy Blues

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:21 AM

View Postphlegm, on 12 November 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

I can vouch for this. I also signed up and my premiums went from 1500 a month to about 25. Im also entitltled to world class doctors, and free transportation to and from the hospital. All my opiates and viagara are unlimited and free. God bless you BHO, and your genius vision for our health.

You're a real weird guy.

#2290 akoff

akoff

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • Location:The 700 Level
  • Interests:Golf, investing, Eagles football, golf, baseball, coaching Little League and golf
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:31 AM

View PostNickCave, on 12 November 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

Well, really the objective was to get people healthcare, period, so the Medicaid bump is encouraging, isn't it? People who were previously uninsured, now with access to basic medical support? Surely you can't be against that...?

the budget was for the bill was based off numbers that are starting in the wrong direction and moving worse, as some stated from the begining this is going to be an economic disaster. it is not a matter of what i am for or against - it is a matter of this program is a trainwreck and it is only going to get worse for everyone.

message to working poor and lower middle class - grab your ankles the government is coming to help you.
"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
~ Senator Barack H. Obama

#2291 NickCave

NickCave

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 966 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Marcel Marceau
  • Favorite Poker Game:No Pussy Blues

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:12 AM

View Postakoff, on 13 November 2013 - 03:31 AM, said:

the budget was for the bill was based off numbers that are starting in the wrong direction and moving worse, as some stated from the begining this is going to be an economic disaster. it is not a matter of what i am for or against - it is a matter of this program is a trainwreck and it is only going to get worse for everyone.

message to working poor and lower middle class - grab your ankles the government is coming to help you.

I don't disagree that, so far, it looks like the ACA is unlikely to be a success, but not because more people that qualify for Medicaid are signing up for Medicaid. If you want to say the ACA is going to be an economic disaster, at least talk about why the ACA is going to be an economic disaster, instead of just randomly spouting nonsense about how Medicaid = bad.

What will the economic impact be if ACA enrollment is, say, 75% of the projection?

#2292 akoff

akoff

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • Location:The 700 Level
  • Interests:Golf, investing, Eagles football, golf, baseball, coaching Little League and golf
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostNickCave, on 13 November 2013 - 04:12 AM, said:

I don't disagree that, so far, it looks like the ACA is unlikely to be a success, but not because more people that qualify for Medicaid are signing up for Medicaid. If you want to say the ACA is going to be an economic disaster, at least talk about why the ACA is going to be an economic disaster, instead of just randomly spouting nonsense about how Medicaid = bad.

What will the economic impact be if ACA enrollment is, say, 75% of the projection?

Bob brought up the Medicaid numbers not me - i just said they they aren't good. the cost to pay for them in theory was to come from the new sign ups which aren't happening...it is going to be an economic disaster but that has been known for a long time for anyone willing to look at it with an open mind.

bottom line is IMO it only gets worse from here.
"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
~ Senator Barack H. Obama

#2293 AmScray

AmScray

    Honk

  • Members
  • 4,005 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Favorite Poker Game:wrhsf235yu

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

View Postakoff, on 14 November 2013 - 05:02 AM, said:

bottom line is IMO it only gets worse from here.

100% gets better. Like the launch of any gigantic system, there will be incredibly obnoxious hiccups and unintended consequences up front.
The whinging and squealing will be deafening. The opponents will say "SEE, I told you so!!".

Then, all the issues will be resolved, time will pass and not one single **** will be given about any of it.

You do realize the people who are most rooting for this thing to fail are the same people who believe that if we just deregulated all medicine that we could return to the days when Old Doc Brown made house calls and we paid him in live chickens?

This thing is going to take time. The judgement of history will be that Obama was very meaningful president to the net positive, this will be his crowning achievement. Book it. Also note I'm making this call in the midst of the exact thing we're talking about burning down around us. The context of ones prescience is important when it comes time to say I Told You So.
Posted Image

#2294 akoff

akoff

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • Location:The 700 Level
  • Interests:Golf, investing, Eagles football, golf, baseball, coaching Little League and golf
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:36 AM

we are not going to agree on that, i feel very comfortable that our government will continue to **** it up, it will cost more, the rank and file people who have coverage today as part of a work benefit package will go down, consumers will be unhappy with it and the "rich" people will continue to buy what they want... outside of those issues i am sure it will be great.
"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
~ Senator Barack H. Obama

#2295 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

    Cheese Salesman

  • Members
  • 20,266 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

View Postakoff, on 15 November 2013 - 06:36 AM, said:

we are not going to agree on that, i feel very comfortable that our government will continue to **** it up, it will cost more, the rank and file people who have coverage today as part of a work benefit package will go down, consumers will be unhappy with it and the "rich" people will continue to buy what they want... outside of those issues i am sure it will be great.

None of those things mean that it was unsuccessful or not of significant overall benefit. I guess if your metrics to judge the incredibly expensive and complex health care of 300 million people is that it is a failure if costs increase, corporations reduce their exposure, people find reason to complain about it and rich people get extra benefits, then you can expect to be in a position to call any reasonable attempt at it a failure.
Long signatures are really annoying.

#2296 AmScray

AmScray

    Honk

  • Members
  • 4,005 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Favorite Poker Game:wrhsf235yu

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

View Postakoff, on 15 November 2013 - 06:36 AM, said:

we are not going to agree on that, i feel very comfortable that our government will continue to **** it up, it will cost more, the rank and file people who have coverage today as part of a work benefit package will go down, consumers will be unhappy with it and the "rich" people will continue to buy what they want... outside of those issues i am sure it will be great.

The good part about this is time will definitely tell.

Eventually, at some point, I'll BTT this and say I told you so. Unfortunately it may take a while and Negreanu can't avoid AIDS forever so who knows if it will be kept open long enough for that to happen. If it is, though, I will definitely BTT this.
Posted Image

#2297 phlegm

phlegm

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostAmScray, on 14 November 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

100% gets better. Like the launch of any gigantic system, there will be incredibly obnoxious hiccups and unintended consequences up front.
The whinging and squealing will be deafening. The opponents will say "SEE, I told you so!!".

Then, all the issues will be resolved, time will pass and not one single **** will be given about any of it.

You do realize the people who are most rooting for this thing to fail are the same people who believe that if we just deregulated all medicine that we could return to the days when Old Doc Brown made house calls and we paid him in live chickens?

This thing is going to take time. The judgement of history will be that Obama was very meaningful president to the net positive, this will be his crowning achievement. Book it. Also note I'm making this call in the midst of the exact thing we're talking about burning down around us. The context of ones prescience is important when it comes time to say I Told You So.
Maybe yes, prolly no. The worst part is yet to come, when the company exemption from the mandate expires, watch out
I am not an alcoholic

I am a drunk

Alcoholics go to meetings

#2298 phlegm

phlegm

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostFCP Bob, on 12 November 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

It’s not quite time to freak out over Obamacare’s enrollment number


First, we can compare the rollout to that of the Massachusetts health care law, which had 123 enrollees sign up during the first month of coverage. That ended up accounting for 0.3 percent of first-year enrollment. If we tally up 40,000 enrollees in the federal marketplace --and another 49,000 in the state exchanges, as counted by consulting firm Avalere Health --that works out to about 1.2 percent of the 7 million people the Congressional Budget Office has projected will sign up on the exchange in 2014.

Massachusetts eventually saw a really big spike in enrollment right before the individual mandate kicked in. You can see that in this chart from the New England Journal of Medicine (which Adrianna McIntyre discusses in an aptly titled post, "This chart should be getting more attention.").Posted Image

We can also look at Medicaid enrollment, which has outpaced some observers' expectations. There have been at least 440,000 Medicaid enrollments so far, according to Avalere. That would put Medicaid about 5 percent toward a projected enrollment of 9 million in 2014.
If I was a well to do Canadian, No way am I excited about Obamacare. Obamacare makes access to our healthcare tougher for you.. Please dont retaliate by nationalizing the syrup industry. Theres only so much aunt jemima I can take.
I am not an alcoholic

I am a drunk

Alcoholics go to meetings




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users