American Idol....iraqi Style!

I caught a bizzare, semi related 'IDOL' story this morning on CNN.A young Iraqi woman just won the middle Eastern version of American Idol. The interesting thing is this silly show, this crazy exploitation of the talented and non-talented, for everything that is perceived right and wrong with a show like this......for a least a small moment ... helped unify that country!Sounds crazy, but much of the entire Iraqi nation were out celebrating this woman and her win, and all seemed to have forgotten the war for a bit and felt what it is like to experience unified nationalistic pride. The story showed the little folks, huddled in their crappy houses glued to their Wal Mart generator powered T V sets, all feeling the swelling of pride for one of their own and a sense of patriotism. Funny thing is these folks are not different for the most part than the rest of us. They just want a decent life for themselves and their families, to go out and get a job, throw a birthday party, have a dinner out every now and then. It hit me as both sad and inspiring at the same time. I'm glad they got a chance to have this feeling, and how ironic that an American Idol type show brought it to them. Pretty cool. :club: