PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FCP)SB (t2450)BB (t5995)Hero (t615)UTG+1 (t3900)MP1 (t1350)MP2 (t3265)MP3 (t1305)CO (t1870)Button (t890)Preflop: Hero is UTG with J :D , 9 :D . Hero raises to t615, 2 folds, MP2 calls t615, 5 folds.Flop: (t1305) 8 :D , Q :club: , A :)(2 players)Turn: (t1305) K :D(2 players)River: (t1305) Q :)(2 players)Final Pot: t1305Standard?? Results don't really matter here tbh.My main issue is whether shipping it in here is correct bearing in mind two factors1) Blinds are upto 50/100 next hand, thus removing most of my fold equity (esp in a $4.40 donkament)2)The blinds are going through me next, so if I don't pick up a hand during the 2 hands after this im down to ~450 with an M of 3.Shovel or wait?AK<A9 to get me into this situation btw, its not like I had jus let myself get blinded away incase anyone suggests that.

I'm waiting for a spot where it's folded to me in a deeper position. I don't mind the hand you chose though. I'd rather have 450 and a chance at free money than a spot where I'm going to get called frequently and will have the worst hand (hopefully not dominated).

I think the term, Rock and a Hard Place comes to mind here.I personally don't like it, shoveling with J9 is a poor decision in general, and with 8players to act behind you, your gonna either 1)Get very lucky no one picked up a hand or, 2) Lose.Even with the blinds coming through you the next two hands, you may as well make this move in the BB or SB since you'll be one of the last to act PF.And once the blinds pass, your pushing any halfway decent hand regardless.I say fold.

For those saying fold, another Q....If I fold here should I be pushing ATC if folded to me for the next orbit? Or are we genuinely hoping to hit some sort of premium hand before it comes bk round to us?

1) Blinds are upto 50/100 next hand, thus removing most of my fold equity (esp in a $4.40 donkament)
Do you have any fold equity at all with 615 chips? Granted there are some other shorties around the table, but there are also several with very comfortable stacks.I don't think I'd push here for the following reasons:1) the chances are very, very slim that it will be folded around at a full table2) even if it is folded around, the blinds are virtually worthless to you3) if you do get called you're not going to be in a great spot, especially if you get called by more than 1 opponentI'd probably just wait to be in the BB next hand but, like I said, I think you're screwed either way.
Do you have any fold equity at all with 615 chips? Granted there are some other shorties around the table, but there are also several with very comfortable stacks.
A lot more than havin 450 and 50/100, I think this is pretty obvious.

I'm way ok with a shovel here.You won't get it in dominated too often.J9s is a fun hand.It'd be nice just to pick up 1/2 of what we'll have to pay in blinds for the next two hands.

i'd rather be pushing J-9 sooted UTG now rather than waiting one orbit for a random hand and have less fold equity

i'd rather be pushing J-9 sooted UTG now rather than waiting one orbit for a random hand and have less fold equity
We're not waiting for a random hand as much as a better spot. I'll take XX in the CO when it's folded to me with 450 rather than push with this hand and stack with 8 players behind me -- but that's just me. I can certainly see trying to build a stack and the other logic, but I'd prefer a better chance to pick up a hand or the blinds than little chance to pick up the blinds and less than 50% chance to win the hand when I am called.

I wouldn't worry TOO much about the blinds going up next hand. We have to deal with this hand's situation first. I don't like pushing here UTG, although I would probably do it in mid-late w/ no problem. The biggest argument against is really that the blinds barely do anything for you at this point. I'd rather shove w/ an M of 3 in late position w/ ATC than with an M of 8 from EP w/ J9.Also, table texture is an important factor here.

You're going to need to suckout one way or another. If you wait for the blinds to pass, you'll probably have to suckout twice. J9 sooted is a nice suckout hand, it has lots of ways to win. I shove every time here, hope for a call, and start looking how long before the next one starts.

There are several easy ways to make loose calls to make in tournament poker.1. When a player is crippled and open shoves the following hand2. When a short stack is under the gun (BB next hand) and his M < 10.3. You are the big stack in the big blind, facing only an open shove from a short stack.4. You have a medium to large stack in the small blind, facing only an open shove from a raiser.5. You have entered into a PS $4.40 tournament.Assuming relative competence from the field, the short stack isn't the only one keeping an eye on the time until the next blind increase. You don't especially want to get called here, you have a full table waiting behind you, the blinds don't change you situation at all (M : 4.67 vs. M : 4.1), and a call is going to put you (best case scenario) in a 40/60 for your tournament life. You are shoving a small stack UTG through a full size table, with 2 of the biggest stacks sitting in the blinds. There are no antes yet.. Can you stomach the possibility of spending 150 chips for another 9 chances to get a better spot to shove? I'd rather re-shove out of the BB the next hand blind than open shove into an entire table, with two of the biggest stacks sitting in the blinds. I agree that we want to shove with pretty much ATC, but I don't like shoving under the gun with a hand we are *hoping* to be 40/60 with. I may be wrong here, but I can't envision an ending here where we actually pick up the blinds (a small, small victory in relation to the risk) or get called by only one hand, and have that hand being something we are even remotely "racing" with. We all have our stories of coming back from the brink of elimination to cash out in these things. Give yourself the chance you need to win. Do *not* give up. Shoving a weak hand UTG with a small stack early in $4.40 is not giving yourself a fair chance to win, even as short as you are. Try a limp and go! Limp UTG and shove the flop. At least then some players might put you on AA.NM, just fold preflop. You aren't the only player with your eye on the time clock and blinds. There's at least 3 smokers on each table, they are looking for the premiere time to run out for a quick smoke break.

Nice post Cappy, I think my shove here is ok. But obviously worthy of debate, and good discussion (see above). My main reason for shoving was that it's unlikely I'm called and dominated as long as their cards are unpaired. I'd definitely rather be shoving this than A/Kx here. Coupled with the fact that IMO havin a stack of 1300ish(doubling here) is worth much more to me than 900(doubling post blinds). The problem with letting the blinds go is that when I shove I have so little fold equity than I think i'd get called a lot of the time where I don't want a call, here I honestly don't really mind a call. The point about the blinds doing nothing for me is kinda true. I wish I could structure my thought as well as ObeyTheDog by unfortunately I'm a donk. Sorry!Results : Villain called with 56hh and I held and went onto the win the tourney!sw I obv got called by aces and he sucked out on me.