Molly Bloom Has Written A Book About The High Stakes Hollywood Games

Molly Bloom Has Written A Book About The High Stakes Hollywood Games

Really interesting article discussing the high stakes Hollywood Games with a lot about Tobey Maguire

EXCLUSIVE: A Player Speaks; Molly Bloom Takes On Spider-Man Actor in New Book

The Poker Princess and Tobey Maguire

By Ken Kurson | 05/06/14 1:00pm

Read more at http://observer.com/2014/05/exclusive-a-player-speaks-molly-bloom-takes-on-spider-man-actor-in-new-book/#ixzz31GdHqWsJ

Follow us: @newyorkobserver on Twitter | newyorkobserver on Facebook

• 1 month later...

Definately interesting article, and a book I will want to read.

I am having a hard time with accusing Tobey of doing anything wrong. He basically staked a couple of people in the game. He staked stars to attract big fish, and he staked his friend who was buried in the game.

The deal he made with Curtis was pretty raw, but that is on Curtis.

• 2 weeks later...

Read the book,

My 2 cents is that she does not like Toby M because Toby decided that she was taking too much to run the game. He tried to get her to charge less, and when that did not work he organized the game without her. Since that was her entire income, she is naturally bitter.

In my opinion, the book was too much about her and not enough about the poker. She isn't very likable and I found her a bit whiny.

• 4 months later...

The question is will the average Joe care about multi-millionaires playing in an underground poker game.

The question is will the average Joe care about multi-millionaires playing in an underground poker game.

To answer your question: Of course they would not care.

I mean... if the average person cared about what multi-millionaires and celebrities were doing in their spare time, there might be money to be made. I will even be so bold to predict that there would be a huge market for magazines, tabloid newspapers, TV shows, gossip columns and even hordes of photographers chasing them around 24/7 to get any picture of said celebrities and multi-millionaires blowing their noses.

Oh..... wait.

• 4 weeks later...

Read the book,

My 2 cents is that she does not like Toby M because Toby decided that she was taking too much to run the game. He tried to get her to charge less, and when that did not work he organized the game without her. Since that was her entire income, she is naturally bitter.

In my opinion, the book was too much about her and not enough about the poker. She isn't very likable and I found her a bit whiny.

I've only read about three quarters of the book and this doesn't seem true since she never charged anything for the games she and her staff totally worked on tips

Her enmity towards Toby seemed to be his bringing his own shuffler and charging for it and his zeal to fleece every dime from these high rollers - his ruthlessness towards the games

I've only read about three quarters of the book and this doesn't seem true since she never charged anything for the games she and her staff totally worked on tips...

It's been a while since I read the book, but the vibe I got was that if you didn't tip well there was a good chance you weren't going to be invited back unless you were a celebrity who could draw other players who wanted to play with celebrities.
  • Like 1
  • 2 years later...

I hope it's a blockbuster so Hollywood will quit being so obsessed with superhero and fast car movies. Actually I hear those type of movies are declining in attendance anyway.

And if it does well, it might create more interest in poker in movies.

• Like 1

Yeah, but not as strong as the 8 month old

"VEGAS golden KNIGHTS"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, I don't know about it being a blockbuster but it has been getting some pretty good reviews. It opens Christmas Day in 250 locations (in the top 40 markets) and then opens in 1500 locations on January 5th. Could this be the start of poker becoming hot in movies and scripted TV shows?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It's already done 5 million at the box office. Curious what it will do when it opens up at 1500 theatres on January 5th.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=mollysgame.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the movie. I think having read the book actually lessened my enjoyment of the movie since I already knew the story and thus didn't need all the voiceover. Jessica Chastain was hot once she put make-up on. Don't believe they had her wearing any in the 1st few scenes. For the record "Vegas Knights", which is discussed in another thread:

http://www.fullconta...howtopic=147299

probably has 3x's as much poker in it.

• Like 1