I think it's dumb.

I concur.

#1762 serge

serge

Leafs nation Grand Poobah

• Members
  • 48,702 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

I am still torn..Its supposed to teach kids certain skills...

USA hockey is doing a lot of good things by providing minor hockey tools to coach kids the same way with a uniform training program to follow..
Owner of the Mustangs, 2014-2015 AHL Eastern Division Champs

Lets make America Great Again. Trump 2016

#1763 gruven

gruven

The Poker Show on Sportsnet Radio Fan590

• Members
  • 10,537 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:45 AM

My little guy is starting paperweight this year and stepping into the 3 on 3 cross ice change. I've been to the meetings, listened to hockey Canada, and my take is this:
Parents hate it because it doesn't fit the eye. In our lifetime, this isn't what hockey looks like. But what are the goals of minor hockey? My coaching goals every year were the same: have fun, and improve the kids skill level. So what does 3 on 3 small space do? It creates more on ice time. More touches of the puck. Playing full ice with paperweights is simply a race up and down the ice usually won by the fastest kid. This creates more shots. Skill levels will improve at a much more rapid rate. Kids will have a ball. We scrimmaged at practice many times over the years cross ice, and the kids always have a ball. So improve skill levels and have fun? Check and check.
My one disagreement is the talk of playing without goalies. That will create a deficit as kids get older because goalies will not have started until later ages.
As a hockey involved person for my whole life, I don't like the way it feels either. But I'm willing to give it a chance because I see what they're trying to do.
The Rick Tocchet Experience
Proud Member Since October 2008

Owner and GM AHL Steelheads
2015-16 AHL President's Trophy Winner
2015-16 AHL Champions

#1764 serge

serge

• Members
  • 48,702 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:06 AM

Chris. You make great points and agree with it all.

When we first came here I was a bit taken aback by the cross ice. Adrian started at 4 years old full ice. Here they are playing cross ice at the mite level. After a while it made a lot of sense to me , and my younger one Mateo is now 6 and I think he is a better skater and does a lot more at this age than Adrian did.

I took the USA hockey coaching courses and now certified. While some concepts were different to me from the Canadian system, it makes a lot of sense.

Like we still at the Peewee level donít have delayed offsides. Doesnít kick in until Bantam. Meanwhile Adrian has played with delayed offsides since he was 5.

There is a reason for all this and while some things look different than what we are used to they are designed by smart Hockey people in Hockey Canada and USA Hockey.

Iím really impressed with what I have seen. If you told Me 30 years ago I would be in the middle of California with this much hockey around me I would have laughed.

I have seen so many kids burnt out of hockey because of idiot parents pushing them. They need to start by having fun and falling in love with the game. If they want to work hard when they get older and take it more serious itís up to them

I donít have visions of my kids playing professional hockey. It wonít happen , but is there a chance they might play US college hockey , possibly.

#1765 serge

serge

• Members
  • 48,702 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:37 PM

We have a pretty cool opportunity if it works out..

The Jr Vegas Golden Knights U14 goalie went down with a serious injury and is out for 3 months..The coach has reached out to us to see if Adrian would like to come for a few games..

Problem is Adrian is U12 Peewee and this is a U14 Bantam level...Not sure if he is ready for it, but they seem to think so..It would be pretty cool experience for him and he gets to put on the Golden Knights Jersey..

The coach is Evan Zucker..Brother of NHLer Jason Zucker of the Wild..

Still some red tape to jump thru with releases and schedules but hopefully it will happen.

#1766 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

Babying, on 12 September 2017 - 08:20 PM, said:

After much discussion my daughter has decline the offer. She really was on the fence and did decide to join, however I think leaving her old team won out.

One of the reasons she decided to not go to Rep Softball was because she wanted to play Rep soccer.

We finally got the email. She made a Rep soccer team. I should not have put my eggs into one basket and only try out for one team. However I thought she was good enough that the team would take her.

Now I have to try and train my younger daughter to be a better Softball pitcher. I found a place to train them in the winter time. Cost was $340 in Oshawa for 16 weeks. Awesome driving to Oshawa on Monday nights starting in November

#1767 serge

serge

• Members
  • 48,702 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:43 AM

Babying, on 11 October 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

One of the reasons she decided to not go to Rep Softball was because she wanted to play Rep soccer.

We finally got the email. She made a Rep soccer team. I should not have put my eggs into one basket and only try out for one team. However I thought she was good enough that the team would take her.

Now I have to try and train my younger daughter to be a better Softball pitcher. I found a place to train them in the winter time. Cost was $340 in Oshawa for 16 weeks. Awesome driving to Oshawa on Monday nights starting in November

Drop her off. Quick ride to Port Perry. Make money. Come back pick her up

#1768 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:06 AM

serge, on 11 October 2017 - 08:43 AM, said:

Drop her off. Quick ride to Port Perry. Make money. Come back pick her up

Lol donít think I can do it in a hour