I haven't watched second ep yet. Agree re: bechir. don't particularly care for the female lead character, not the acting but the backstory. seems...gimmicky to giver her aspergers or whatever. Also, I'm concerned that this is a good movie premise that they are going to try to stretch into a series and it's not going to have the meat to support the hours of a series over a 2-3 hour movie.

I think my biggest problem is that I can hear her German accent. I mean, she pretty obviously has one much of the time.

Also, the dialog and writing were a little wooden. It often seemed like the characters' reactions were unnatural, over the top, or nonexistant, with no real rhyme or reason. Just struck me as goofy. Pilots are tough, though, so maybe the second episode is better.

I like her aspbergers, I think her interaction with people is kind of hilarious. Sure, it's a gimmick, but it's a gimmick I like thus far. The thing I have the most problem with is buffalo bill in an authority position.I keep expecting him to ask if one of the victims was a great big fat person.

I think my biggest problem is that I can hear her German accent. I mean, she pretty obviously has one much of the time.

Also, the dialog and writing were a little wooden. It often seemed like the characters' reactions were unnatural, over the top, or nonexistant, with no real rhyme or reason. Just struck me as goofy. Pilots are tough, though, so maybe the second episode is better.

well now that you mention it I noticed it too.

I like her aspbergers, I think her interaction with people is kind of hilarious. Sure, it's a gimmick, but it's a gimmick I like thus far. The thing I have the most problem with is buffalo bill in an authority position.I keep expecting him to ask if one of the victims was a great big fat person.

i'm wondering if they wrote that gimmick in to try and explain her sometimes clipped speech pattern from the accent.

if they could legitimately write in a way for him to say "put it in the fucking basket" i would hold this show in much higher esteem.

what are you doing here? i can't have sex at work.

i cringed.

i paused the dvr right there to debate whether to delete the episode and get out now before i get too invested.

I do like them using Lillard and Gumb for roles in a show about serial crime. I thought the Scream style voice was a nice touch.

is this supposed to be a dramedy? spoorama?

things that annoyed me:

the horse was so telegraphed. they played it like it was supposed to be shocking but it was so obvious a ripoff of godfather and handled with zero subtlety.

flowers from me and asperers. why did you say that? its not true. her reaction was so over the top that i'm having a hard time suspending disbelief enough to get to the point that i can buy that someone so handicapped in interpersonal relations could ever rise through the ranks of a p.d. to become a homicide detective.

the serial killer(?) dude storyline that i think they're trying to use as a red herring

the mexican hitman that is going after the serial killer red herring

the sister of the serial killer red herring story line

the hamfisted social commentary moments

i didn't catch it at the beginning and didn't feel like going back to listen. how did the cops know the wetback girl survived at the poison shrine?

I mean, the aspbergers is ham fisted, but it's the first time i've even seen someone attempt to have a functional autistic as a lead character, so I''m going to give them a little space to get their footing.

They knew she survived because the bus/coyote driver guy told the cops there were 10 people on with him, but only 9 bodies.

I disagree with your "hamfisted social commentary" line as well. I certainly don't live down there, but what they're going after are certainly real issues. I'm sure the explanation for why the serial killer gives a **** about the difference in cultures will be weak, but that's just how it's gotta be. The producers original idea was to use a US/Canada bridge. Imagine how much worse the social commentary would be there.

One thing that drives me nuts about cop shows, is how bent out of shape local cops get about feds "Coming in and taking over their case' and acting so protective about that. Like that would ever, ever happen. Cops are probably overjoyed to get help on cases, and to do less work. One of my favorite scenes of the wire was S2, when all the law enforcement agencies were fighting NOT to have jurisdiction over the whore murders. I find that so much more believable.

One thing that drives me nuts about cop shows, is how bent out of shape local cops get about feds "Coming in and taking over their case' and acting so protective about that. Like that would ever, ever happen. Cops are probably overjoyed to get help on cases, and to do less work. One of my favorite scenes of the wire was S2, when all the law enforcement agencies were fighting NOT to have jurisdiction over the whore murders. I find that so much more believable.

Well it depends. Good cops will fight for the case, pension cops will be like "fine, take it, immagogetacoffedonut"

According to pops who works with state and local cops quite often, locals don't like feds. It may a bit overblown on these shows but there is a bit of dislike there. Part of it is they get offended by the sense of "the calvary coming to the rescue" the feds tend to carry wit them. Also, if the locals want to use federal resources like labs they have to accept and use the federal findings even if they differ from the state lab's findings.

However, I could see the Wire effect being the case along the border. What agency would want to potentially add to their unsolved case count with all the shit that goes on down that way? Figure not too many would be volunteering with something as tricky as these crimes.

my groaner moment of the week:

cop leaves his (rather thick) wallet in the widow's guest bedroom.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm catching up with this show, and I just started the episode with the oral sex. It was hilarious. I really like the way this show portrays women in general. It has a lot of flaws, it's solidly FX-Tier, but it has some things going for it. And I can't help but think of Nick Cave's Ex when Lillard comes on screen

I'm catching up with this show, and I just started the episode with the oral sex. It was hilarious. I really like the way this show portrays women in general. It has a lot of flaws, it's solidly FX-Tier, but it has some things going for it. And I can't help but think of Nick Cave's Ex when Lillard comes on screen

This is like the 9th thing you've said about me that isn't about me. And I don't understand any of it. I am not.... I feel like a character in a bad farce, like that episode of PartyDown with the farces. I'm sure you're accusing me of being someone, AND I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

This is like the 9th thing you've said about me that isn't about me. And I don't understand any of it. I am not.... I feel like a character in a bad farce, like that episode of PartyDown with the farces. I'm sure you're accusing me of being someone, AND I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

pkue.jpg