Jump to content


Best Nl Holdem Tournament Player


  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Dannon

Dannon

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL Holdem

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:09 PM

This may be somewhere else out there on the forums, but what are people's top 5 NL Holdem Tournament Player both now and ever.Now:1 - Phil Ivey2 - Daniel Negranu3 - Chris Ferguson4 - John Juanda5 - Eric Lingren (by the way i feal like Eric Lingren is one of the most underated players in the world)Ever:1 - Stu Ungar2 - Phil Ivey3 - Jonny Chan4 - Daniel Negranu5 - Phil HellmuthIt's very hard limiting the list to only 5, but thats why 5 is all I want. P.S.Sorry Negranu for puting you behind Chan, it's a tough decision and first I wrote you down as 3rd, then convinced myself to change it.

#2 greatwhite

greatwhite

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 4,089 posts
  • Location:Connecticut
  • Interests:poker, skiing, movies, following the yankees, knicks, and jets , and traveling
  • Favorite Poker Game:Pot Limit Omaha

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:09 PM

Now:1. Phil Ivey2. Daniel Negreanu3. John Juanda4. Allen Cunningham5. Mike MatusowEver:1. Stu Ungar2. Jonny Chan3. Phil Ivey4. Doyle Brunson5. Phil Hellmuth

#3 nickforgot

nickforgot

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 2,100 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:17 AM

Now:IveyNegreanuJuandaHellmuthLindgrenEver:Can't say order, but 5 of the best consist of:BrunsonUngerHellmuthChanIvey
Jules: I want you to go in that bag, and find my wallet.
Pumpkin: Which one is it?
Jules: It's the one that says Bad ************

#4 Aces, Full, Mike

Aces, Full, Mike

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • Location:In my club, I will splash the pot whenever I please.

Posted 26 July 2006 - 04:51 AM

LOL at those who picked Lindgren over Hellmuth.

#5 Run it Thrice

Run it Thrice

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:34 PM

Obviously any list is going to be subjective, but I still find the lists you guys are putting up interesting.Honestly, everyone around here thinks that Hellmuth is so over-rated that he's actually very under-rated on this forum.I haven't played with any of these players. There's a good chance I might never play with any of these players.But just based on results I see and opinions I read I think there are some over sights in the lists above.For one thing, how is Dan Harrington not on either list. Not only has he authored the most respected series of NL tourney books in the world but he has the results in the WSOP to back it up. Consecutive third and fourth place finishes in 03 and 04 is just sick. Not to mention he won it all in 95.On the all time list I'm not sure how you can leave off Johnny Moss.

#6 fckthis

fckthis

    mmmmmmm Alba

  • Members
  • 2,038 posts
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Long walks on gravel,<br />watching my 67year old neighbour undress,<br /><br />poker

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:40 AM

Now1)Phil Hellmuth2)Phil Ivey3)John Juanda4) DN5)Patrick AntoniusEver1)Ungar2)Hellmuth3)Brunson4)DN5)John Juanda
Mike Matusow: want to play some o 8
Mike Matusow: 5001k
Ram Vaswani: you to good at 500 1k but i play you 1k 2k

#7 HollowTippedBet

HollowTippedBet

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:im getting sick of holdem, so lets say Badugi

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:07 PM

Best NL Holdem Tounament Players (Please excuse the spelling, Im coming off a long session)Now1.Phill Hellmuth2.Phil Ivey3.Greg Rahymer4.Daniel Negeneau5. Mike MadasuwEver1. Johnny Chan2. Doyle Brunson3. Phil Hellmuth4. Phil Ivey5. Daniel NeganeauAllthough Hellmuth is a fish head in the cash games I think you guys underrated him in tournaments, he has been as far as I know, the most consistent performer in tournaments ever. Seems like every time I watch an older poker tournament he is at the final table. Ivey needs no explination, Greg Rahymer I believe does not play WPT events because of the legal dispute, and its just rediculous his performance at the main event (especially since the pressure is on), and he could have won it in 2005 too if it wasnt for Aaron-suckout--Kanter. Daniel needs no explination. Mike Madasuw is underrated, 3 out of the last 5 years he has reached the end of the main event, and likey would have won in 2005 if it wasnt for the cooler. He has many WPT final tables. Stu Unger is not on my list because I donít think he was considered an amazing tournament player. Either Doyle or Barry said that in both of his WSOP wins if he got top pair cracked he woulda went broke. Allthough he may be the best cash game player of all time I donít think he was as good in tournaments. In 1997 when he won he sucked out against 2 pair with top pair I believe 2 win it. I left out johnny moss cause Iíve never seen what he won, im kind of ignorant on the matter. But from what I have heard he defiantly deserves a spot on the top 5.
"Humanity's gone, smoked up in a gravity bong, by a democrat republican Cheech and Chong"
- Immortal Techinque

#8 wylecoyote

wylecoyote

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL Holdem

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:44 AM

I think you need to give serious consideration to Greg Raymer, After winning the world series he made the top 30 the following year in the main event. Moving through 10,000 people in both tourneys.Thats talent.Also take nota a certain Ausie champion Hachem is hanging around this year with a sizeable stack going into day 3.You can not ignore consistent success in a tournament with such a large field. In what is described as a crap shoot they have found a way to play solidly and beat the field. More than once.And finally yes.. DN is in my top three, and I am cheering for him and Hachem to make the final two. With of course Daniel bringing the title to Canada in the end.

#9 jowest

jowest

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:49 AM

View Postwylecoyote, on Friday, August 4th, 2006, 9:44 AM, said:

I think you need to give serious consideration to Greg Raymer, After winning the world series he made the top 30 the following year in the main event. Moving through 10,000 people in both tourneys.Thats talent.Also take nota a certain Ausie champion Hachem is hanging around this year with a sizeable stack going into day 3.You can not ignore consistent success in a tournament with such a large field. In what is described as a crap shoot they have found a way to play solidly and beat the field. More than once.And finally yes.. DN is in my top three, and I am cheering for him and Hachem to make the final two. With of course Daniel bringing the title to Canada in the end.
first of all neither one of the WSOP's that raymer cashed in had a field of over 10,000 people. The WSOP has NEVER reached those hights. Also, although he is a solid player, he is nowhere near the top 5 or even 10. He could very well be at that level soon enough. There are too many leaks he is working out. I bet he would say that himself. Hell of a nice guy.DN is also a great player. MUCH better than raymer but not sure if he is top 5 of all time on my list. If not number 5 he would be number 6. Hellmuth is in the top 5 tourny players easily. Here is my top 5 of all time:1 Johnny Chan2. Doyle Brunson3. Phil Hellmuth4. Phil Ivey5. T.J. Cloutier/Daniel Neganeau/Dan HarringtonI just can't make up my mind on number 5.
if you are anywhere near Portland Oregon click here: http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...showtopic=64932

#10 Oneeydjaq

Oneeydjaq

    Incorrigible

  • Members
  • 1,147 posts
  • Location:Denver
  • Interests:Cards, golf, sports, anything that isn't boring.

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:54 AM

Anyone missing Stu Ungar from the best ever list really has no idea the history of poker.

#11 jowest

jowest

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:24 PM

View PostOneeydjaq, on Friday, August 4th, 2006, 12:54 PM, said:

Anyone missing Stu Ungar from the best ever list really has no idea the history of poker.
I am running off the assumption we are speaking of NL holdem. Sorry. Stu was better than Mike matusow but had the same problem. No control.Now if we were talking about all time best rummy players Stu would be numbers 1-5 by himself.Do some more research on stats and then come back and tell me I have "no idea the history of poker" (if that statement is even a complete sentence).
if you are anywhere near Portland Oregon click here: http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...showtopic=64932

#12 Oneeydjaq

Oneeydjaq

    Incorrigible

  • Members
  • 1,147 posts
  • Location:Denver
  • Interests:Cards, golf, sports, anything that isn't boring.

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:34 PM

View Postjowest, on Friday, August 4th, 2006, 5:24 PM, said:

I am running off the assumption we are speaking of NL holdem. Sorry. Stu was better than Mike matusow but had the same problem. No control.Now if we were talking about all time best rummy players Stu would be numbers 1-5 by himself.Do some more research on stats and then come back and tell me I have "no idea the history of poker" (if that statement is even a complete sentence).
TOURNAMENT/EVENT DATE PLACE WINNINGS 28th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1997No Limit Hold'em World Championship 05/15/1997 1 $1,000,000.00 21st World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1990No Limit Hold'em World Championship 05/17/1990 9 $25,050.00 14th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1983Seven-Card Stud 05/01/1983 1 $110,000.00 12th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1981No Limit Hold'em World Championship 05/14/1981 1 $375,000.00 12th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1981Deuce to Seven Draw 05/01/1981 1 $95,000.00 11th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1980No Limit Hold'em World Championship 05/14/1980 1 $365,000.00 Ungar turned to poker in Las Vegas when his gin action dried up. He started out playing the biggest games in town. In 1980, with virtually no experience at No Limit Hold'em, Ungar entered the $10,000 buy-in World Championship event at Binion's Horseshoe for the first time. He won it. (The press dubbed him Stu "the Kid" Ungar.) The next year, (the second time he played in it), he successfully defended his title. Think about that. Ungar had entered the World Championship twice and was a two-time World Champion at the age of 25! Fittingly, he captured his third world championship (1997) the last time he played in the event. To further understand his greatness, think about this. For years, the second largest poker tournament in the world was Amarillo Slim's Super Bowl of Poker. At that time, every great poker player attended Slim's tournaments. Like the WSOP, the main event at the Super Bowl of Poker was a $10,000 buy-in No Limit Hold'em championship. Only one man in history captured titles at both the WSOP and the Super Bowl of Poker, and that man was Stu Ungar. And he won them three times each! You are right though, you should use his and Matusow's name in the same sentence.

#13 HollowTippedBet

HollowTippedBet

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:im getting sick of holdem, so lets say Badugi

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

View PostOneeydjaq, on Friday, August 4th, 2006, 6:34 PM, said:

TOURNAMENT/EVENT DATE PLACE WINNINGS 28th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1997No Limit Hold'em World Championship 05/15/1997 1 $1,000,000.00 21st World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1990No Limit Hold'em World Championship 05/17/1990 9 $25,050.00 14th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1983Seven-Card Stud 05/01/1983 1 $110,000.00 12th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1981No Limit Hold'em World Championship 05/14/1981 1 $375,000.00 12th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1981Deuce to Seven Draw 05/01/1981 1 $95,000.00 11th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1980No Limit Hold'em World Championship 05/14/1980 1 $365,000.00 Ungar turned to poker in Las Vegas when his gin action dried up. He started out playing the biggest games in town. In 1980, with virtually no experience at No Limit Hold'em, Ungar entered the $10,000 buy-in World Championship event at Binion's Horseshoe for the first time. He won it. (The press dubbed him Stu "the Kid" Ungar.) The next year, (the second time he played in it), he successfully defended his title. Think about that. Ungar had entered the World Championship twice and was a two-time World Champion at the age of 25! Fittingly, he captured his third world championship (1997) the last time he played in the event. To further understand his greatness, think about this. For years, the second largest poker tournament in the world was Amarillo Slim's Super Bowl of Poker. At that time, every great poker player attended Slim's tournaments. Like the WSOP, the main event at the Super Bowl of Poker was a $10,000 buy-in No Limit Hold'em championship. Only one man in history captured titles at both the WSOP and the Super Bowl of Poker, and that man was Stu Ungar. And he won them three times each! You are right though, you should use his and Matusow's name in the same sentence.
I dont have the patience 2 read that but unger was the man. He was beating pros when he was literally 15 years old bieng bankrolled by the mafia.
"Humanity's gone, smoked up in a gravity bong, by a democrat republican Cheech and Chong"
- Immortal Techinque

#14 Flack_attack

Flack_attack

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 854 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Raleigh

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:09 PM

Now: 1. Phil Ivey 2. Layne Flack 3. Mizrachi 4. Hellmuth 5. DNEver: 1. Ungar 2. Ivey 3. Chan 4. Flack 5. Hellmuth
..and your wedding figurines, I'd melt so I could drink them in.. -Death Cab for Cutie



#15 HollowTippedBet

HollowTippedBet

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:im getting sick of holdem, so lets say Badugi

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:11 AM

View PostFlack_attack, on Sunday, August 13th, 2006, 12:09 AM, said:

Now: 1. Phil Ivey 2. Layne Flack 3. Mizrachi 4. Hellmuth 5. DNEver: 1. Ungar 2. Ivey 3. Chan 4. Flack 5. Hellmuth
You must be Layne Flacks mother or something cause I don't think he would rate himself that high.
"Humanity's gone, smoked up in a gravity bong, by a democrat republican Cheech and Chong"
- Immortal Techinque

#16 sdnuol

sdnuol

    I AM BANNED

  • Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Location:Grand Blanc, MI

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:52 AM

Cloutier has won more NLHE tournaments than anyone else in the history of poker so i dont know how you people exclude him from your list.My Elite 7UngarBrunsonCloutierHellmuthChanIveyHarrington
I got banned for being an asshole

#17 Canary3

Canary3

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Castle, IN
  • Favorite Poker Game:short handed pot limit omaha

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:26 AM

not sure if this is the right place for this butNOW1. Hellmuth2. Ivey3. Mizrachi4. Daniel5. Matusowalso cant forget jeff madsen
You can get free stuff just for signing up for an online poker room http://www.pokersource.com/?rc=whatsupma3

#18 Entrepeneur

Entrepeneur

    Poker Forum Regular

  • Members
  • 209 posts
  • Location:Spring Hill, TN (Nashville suburb)
  • Interests:golf, poker, family time

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:47 AM

Seems like a no brainer:1. Tiffany Williamson2. Chris Moneymaker3. Aaron Kanter4. Phil Ivey5. Jerry (not really...just needed a 5th...I don't mean it)seems right..not sure if #4 should be there...E

#19 Flack_attack

Flack_attack

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 854 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Raleigh

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:36 PM

View PostHollowTippedBet, on Sunday, August 13th, 2006, 10:11 AM, said:

You must be Layne Flacks mother or something cause I don't think he would rate himself that high.
Lol no, I am his grandmother. C'mon though, did you see the guy at the Plaza a couple years back (DN won) ? He was calling out everyone's hands every time with sick accuracy. Or, maybe he's just good when he's drunk.
..and your wedding figurines, I'd melt so I could drink them in.. -Death Cab for Cutie



#20 adamatsiu

adamatsiu

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:05 PM

Now1. Hellmuth2. Chan3. Brunson4. Ivey5. HarringtonEver:1.Unger2. Hellmuth3. chan4. Brunson5. Ivey




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users