Flush For Me On Turn. Now Do I Bet And If Yes What %?

Hi everyone. I am new to FCP, but I have been playing poker for about 10 years now. (can you say Moneymaker effect) I typically play 1/2 NLHE cash games. I live in Michigan and supplement my income by playing poker. I have learned a lot from reading the FCP forums and by listening to the great Dneg.

In the old days when you hit your flush on the turn you would always check otherwise opponents fold. In this aggressive era of poker what is a good % of the pot to bet in an average hand. Please provide answers for both in and out of position.

post-153718-0-55563600-1370649996_thumb.jpg

post-153718-0-59168000-1370650013_thumb.jpg

Hey, welcome to FCP...

Your question is very broad, and really depends on a pretty massive number of factors...

But basically I would say whether it's the old days or the current days you shouldn't be saying "you would always check"... or "you should always" anything... different situations lead to different actions.

I recommend that you don't look for standard plays, and repeat them consistently... instead look to absorb as much information as you can in each session about the group of players you're with, the table image you have, the aggression of other players etc etc etc... focus on paying attention to any of these kinds of things within the hand and move away from "I have a flush, so I'm gonna do this"

Good post gad, as mentioned there is a lot missing here. How much is in the pot, how high is your flush, heads up ? Think about semi bluffing sometimes, bet the flop with the draw and if you hit he doesn't always put you on the flush and if he folds you take it down, he's folding to a bet on the turn once you hit the flush anyway, assuming he checked the flop and didn't back into top pair or something. If he does hit top pair and calls a river bet he's more likely to pay you in a semi bluff situation.

I'm sorry calls a bet on the flop then backs into top pair, or even two pair you're more likely to get paid.

Gad and Variance have it right. Whether in position or out of position, I like to bet draws (but I am more of a "reader" and an aggressive player so it depends on your style).

I will tell you that when I first started out I used to be very passive when play straight and flush draws and I would not get paid off as much as when I am aggressive with them now. I like to bet the draws like Variance said because when you hit, it looks more like you're betting a pair in your hand or on the board - it's hard to put someone on a flush draw.

But yeah, everything depends on situation, pot size, players in hand, pre-flop action, etc.

I agree pretty much with what has already been said here , but I am a big proponent of trying to balance my betting patterns to make it difficult for players to play against me. Much depends on the strength of the flush, but whatever bet size I make, I need to balance this by making a similar bet from time to time with a completely different type of hand (bluff, semi-bluff, marginal holdings, etc.). So, for example, if I am the type of player who will bluff the scare card by making a nearly pot sized bet on the turn, then I would make a nearly pot sized bet with a strong flush as well. The reverse is also true, if I am going to make a strong bet with my flush, I have to be willing to make a strong bet from time to time with much weaker holdings. In this way, your opponents will have a hard time figuring out what you have and will thusly be more prone to making mistakes against you, which is the whole point. There are two ways to confuse your opponents... do different things in the same situation, or do the same thing in different situations. The former works well, but I think it is more heavily dependent on your ability to read the situation and your opponent and it also requires that the same sort of situation comes up repeatedly in a single session, which may not happen. The latter is more dependent on the image you are portraying and therefore relies on how much your opponents are paying attention. Neither of these tactics is necessarily ideal, or even necessary, against bad players or those who aren't paying attention to anything beyond their hands. In that case, ABC poke typically works best... play fast when you're strong, and slow down when you're not.