your move?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: your move? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 allinbluff35

allinbluff35

Inevitably Running Bad

• Members
  • 9,505 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:42 AM

looshle said:

allinbluff35 said:

looshle said:

All in preflop? Are you guys serious?? Is anyone around here afraid to play poker anymore? It goes raised to $8, called twice, and people are suggesting to bet $280??  Raise it big preflop, like 50-70.
there's $31 in the pot before hero even gets his chance to act, that's 15bb's, I'll push in evertime here.
You want calls here by AQ, AJ, TT. You're losing money by making such a huge overbet.
alright, raise to $40 have everyone of them call you and tell me what types of flops you'd like to see and tell me what you do on the flop if there's a 3/4 pot sized bet with a pot sized raise with the bet coming from a passive player and the raise coming from a tricky lag
Only after you have lost everything, are you free to do anything.

#22 MichaelShakes

MichaelShakes

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:43 AM

:shock:

#23 allinbluff35

allinbluff35

Inevitably Running Bad

• Members
  • 9,505 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:44 AM

looshle said:

mk said:

looshle said:

allinbluff35 said:

looshle said:

All in preflop? Are you guys serious?? Is anyone around here afraid to play poker anymore? It goes raised to $8, called twice, and people are suggesting to bet $280??  Raise it big preflop, like 50-70.
there's $31 in the pot before hero even gets his chance to act, that's 15bb's, I'll push in evertime here.
You want calls here by AQ, AJ, TT. You're losing money by making such a huge overbet.
No. You want as much money in the pot as possible and as few opponents as possible. Push.
You're losing a lot of money if you make plays like this every time. like they say it's about $ not pots. But I mean, if you like losing money continue with the massive overbets.
I'll make plays like this at small stakes games all the time, in higher stakes games I'll pot it before the flop

#24 looshle

looshle

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:47 AM

allinbluff35 said:

looshle said:

allinbluff35 said:

looshle said:

alright, raise to $40 have everyone of them call you and tell me what types of flops you'd like to see and tell me what you do on the flop if there's a 3/4 pot sized bet with a pot sized raise with the bet coming from a passive player and the raise coming from a tricky lag
Well I would make it about 50 and if they all call theres $200 in the pot where I am ahead just about everytime going to the flop. They aren't correct in calling that much money, so we make money off of their mistakes. You can't play scared or else you'll end up losing A LOT of money. "He could flop a flush draw" "He could flop top pair and get lucky on me" Build a big pot with the best hand, this isn't a tournament.

#25 mk

mk

nord-américain racaille

• Members
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:52 AM

You're losing a lot of money if you make plays like this every time. like they say it's about $ not pots. But I mean, if you like losing money continue with the massive overbets.How much money do you think you lose when you get outplayed post-flop by the guy holding JJ when the flop comes Axx? You get called often enough here to make it undebatably the right play. If you think you need to "play poker" you're deluding yourself into thinking you're a better player than you are. Smash has made this argument 9000 times in this forum.

#26 allinbluff35

allinbluff35

Inevitably Running Bad

• Members
  • 9,505 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:54 AM

looshle said:

allinbluff35 said:

looshle said:

allinbluff35 said:

looshle said:

Well I would make it about 50 and if they all call theres $200 in the pot where I am ahead just about everytime going to the flop. They aren't correct in calling that much money, so we make money off of their mistakes. You can't play scared or else you'll end up losing A LOT of money. "He could flop a flush draw" "He could flop top pair and get lucky on me" Build a big pot with the best hand, this isn't a tournament.
weird, you side stepped the most important party of my arguement with your last response

#27 looshle

looshle

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 07:06 AM

allinbluff35 said:

looshle said:

allinbluff35 said:

looshle said:

allinbluff35 said:

looshle said:

weird, you side stepped the most important party of my arguement with your last response
I didn't side step anything, what was your most important argument? when you get outflopped? if all that action happens in front of you, you can easily fold knowing you're behind. You want people putting money in with worse hands without odds and being scared of getting outflopped will cost you money in the long run.

#28 princeof56k

princeof56k

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:20 AM

I said all-in preflop as well.What you are missing is that the pot is big enough here to be alright if everyone folds. If someone calls (which trust me, will probably happen), you have a huge edge to take a huge pot unless some guy has AA. Plus you absolutly cannot be outplayed by pushing all-in. Trying a regular raise in the back isnt going to do anything to make the other players fold. If they all see the flop, there's probably going to be a lot of action with the size of the pot (assuming you raised pre-flop). Someone's going to try and make play to take it down. At that point, some moron could smoke you with bottom 2 pair. Rather than be in that type of situation, pushing in pre-flop is the easier and better play.BTW, why does everyone assume if you push allp-in preflop its not playing real poker?

#29 looshle

looshle

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:29 AM

Trying a regular raise in the back isnt going to do anything to make the other players foldNo one's suggested a regular raise. I suggested making it 50-75 more with only about 30 in the pot now. It's still a extremely protective bet and it also allows people to play a big pot against you KK witha wrose hand.

#30 princeof56k

princeof56k

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:49 AM

Well if I was in the front with this many players a raise of 50 more would be considered pretty regular to me. What I meant was a raise other than putting someone all-in.Anyways, with a raise that size, the only person you probably push off is SB. So now you seeing the flop with 3 opponents and a pot around 250. Since the other players will only have around 150-125 left, one of them probably pushes on the flop. They may have only a pair or a draw, but they will have clear visibilty if they have you beat. And if they have you beat and they check it to you, when you make a bet (even half the pot is 125) trying to outplay them, they push all-in and you're going to have to call since you're basically pot committed. What I'm getting at is that with a pot this size (due to your raise) and the stack sizes of the other players, how are you going to outplay people here?

#31 bdc30

bdc30

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 9,407 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for all of your posts guys. I see what you're all saying as far as re-upping preflopbut for some reason, that I can't quite explain, I smelleda big hand, and thought I would need some help before pushing my hand.Here's how the rest played out....PRE-FLOP2 folds, Villain 1 bets $8, Villain 2 calls $8, MP calls $8, hero (K :) K :club: ) calls $8, 2 folds, SB calls $7, BB folds. FLOP 7 :) ,8 :D ,Q :D (pot $42)SB checks, V1 bets $26, V2 calls $26, MPfolds, hero folds, SB folds. TURN ,6 :D (pot $94)V1 bets $55, V2 raises to $133, V1 calls $78. RIVER J :) (pot $308)V1 bets $11 and is all-in, V2 calls $11. SHOWDOWNV1 shows Q :) ,Q :) V2 shows A :) ,A :) V1 wins $379. Turns out I wasn't only behind to AA, I was also behind to QQ.IMO, the most incredible laydown I've ever made.(what are the odds in a 10-handed game of AA, KK, and QQ all out?)

#32 allinbluff35

allinbluff35

Inevitably Running Bad

• Members
  • 9,505 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:00 AM

I see what you're all saying as far as re-upping preflop but for some reason, that I can't quite explain, I smelled a big hand, and thought I would need some help before pushing my hand. this post is so results orientated it's unreal

#33 ChrisOfSpades

ChrisOfSpades

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:00 AM

princeof56k said:

Well if I was in the front with this many players a raise of 50 more would be considered pretty regular to me.  What I meant was a raise other than putting someone all-in.
you'd call $50 out of position w/ a marginal hand? wow.

#34 bdc30

bdc30

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 9,407 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:12 AM

allinbluff35 said:

this post is so results orientated it's unreal
What post isn't?My thoughts on the flop, after not raising it preflop were this.7 guys to the flop for a 4xbb raise, then V1 bets $26.If V2 hadn't have called, then I would for sure have pushedback, however when I saw the second guy's chips go in as wellI just knew I'd either let in an ace (or two) for cheap on the flop,or was in bad shape anyways, so I let it go...I'm not saying the way I played KK was good, as the consensusseems to be re-upping the flop, I just wanted to see what the forum thought was the move on the flop.

#35 allinbluff35

allinbluff35

Inevitably Running Bad

• Members
  • 9,505 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:14 AM

bdc30 said:

allinbluff35 said:

this post is so results orientated it's unreal
What post isn't?My thoughts on the flop, after not raising it preflop were this.7 guys to the flop for a 4xbb raise, then V1 bets $26.If V2 hadn't have called, then I would for sure have pushedback, however when I saw the second guy's chips go in as wellI just knew I'd either let in an ace (or two) for cheap on the flop,or was in bad shape anyways, so I let it go...I'm not saying the way I played KK was good, as the consensusseems to be re-upping the flop, I just wanted to see what the forum thought was the move on the flop.

I smelled a big hand, and thought I would need some help before  pushing my hand.
WTF is this, you're behind one hand here, reraise preflop, quit trying to get cute with big hands. this hand sucks.

#36 bdc30

bdc30

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 9,407 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:23 AM

Quit being d1cks, I only asked what you thought the play on the flop was...Do any of you play 2-2NL?Do you know how often 7 guys go to a raised flop?it just doesn't happen...

#37 allinbluff35

allinbluff35

Inevitably Running Bad

• Members
  • 9,505 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:25 AM

bdc30 said:

Quit being d1cks, I only asked what you thought the  play on the flop was...Do any of you play 2-2NL?Do you know how often 7 guys go to a raised flop?it just doesn't happen...
I play 5/10 NL, I also know you should have reraised preflop.

#38 bdc30

bdc30

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 9,407 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:28 AM

So equate it to 5/10 NL.7 guys to a flop that is raised 4xbbDo you not figure there are big hands out there?Like I say, I was just asking about the move on the flop.Guys like you always say to ask specific questions, aboutparticular hands. I did that. Now you're breakin my balls...lol

#39 allinbluff35

allinbluff35

Inevitably Running Bad

• Members
  • 9,505 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:35 AM

bdc30 said:

So equate it to 5/10 NL.7 guys to a flop that is raised 4xbbDo you not figure there are big hands out there?Like I say, I was just asking about the move on the flop.Guys like you always say to ask specific questions, aboutparticular hands. I did that. Now you're breakin my balls...lol
I reraise preflop here 99.999% of the time because it can:A. look like a steal raise to buy the pot preflop depending on how much you make it.B. to define my villain(s) hands so if need be I can get away from the hand.C. this hand still sucksD. if it's 3 bet in front of you depending on villain and if the stacks are <200bb, you can get away from this preflop, beings that all of the villains stacks in this hand are >100bb you should have gone broke.E. because you played this hand like KK=22 you lost the minimum.

#40 Wallacer

Wallacer

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:07 AM

Ok I didn't take all the time to read every single reply, but this isn't too hard of a question. Keep in mind slight variances in play must be made for your personal table image, and the overall feel of the table.Ok, There's 27$ in the pot when it gets to Hero. a bet to 8$, two calls, plus the blinds. Pushing all in is almost always the wrong play unless you are pretty sure someone at the table is crazy enough to call you with AK or a lower pair. That's where table image and whatnot comes into play.Where was I, 27$ in the pot. You want to make it a bad call for anyone holding an A, and if they hit, oh well, but you want a customer preflop, just not all of them. I'd make it a bad call for anyone by calling the 8 making it 35$ in the pot, and raising 45 - 60 more. You have effectively made any call a poor play unless they're holding AA. This should maximize your profits instead of letting you just walk away with the 27$. Which is really not that much in a 1-2 NL game. I know it's 10bb's, but if you want to argue that with me, you go try to sit down at a 1-2 NL game with 27$ and see how long it lasts. The correct preflop play is a 45 - 60$ reraise. (give or take depending on the feel of the table)On to your actual question about your postflop situation. There are some issues here. Your position warrants a reraise IMO, but the problem with that is that you will have to be prepared for him to come over the top again and push all in. I don't remember the stack sizes, but I assume he has enough to either cover you or do some serious damage. I would initially say that AQ is the most likely hand. I can't scroll up far enough to re-read the positions, but a 26$ bet with AQ in that position would seem like a weak lead thinking he's best but still wanting to protect himself a bit. 26$ is asking for a caller because he would think AQ is good here. That has the pot at what like 68$ or something? I'd call his raise and go for 100$ more (just over the now 94$ pot). You're commiting to a showdown, scaring the hell out of AQ or a flush draw, and you might get burnt by 2 pair or something. I still think you're a favorite at this point, though it is poker so there's never a guarantee. If he's QQ or something you just gotta bite the bullet and take it (or draw your K :wink: )hope it worked out for yaWallacer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users