2009 Official Los Angeles Dodgers Thread

tommy20lasorda-mug.jpgMeh, I had a writeup 95% done twice now, and my comp has froze. No way I'm falling for that again, so instead you guys get links to these articles:Dodgerthoughts roster articleDodgers.com articleMy prediction for this year's team - 90-72 and NL West division champs, and probably lose first round of playoffs (barring picking up an ace at some point in the year, or Kershaw making a Lincecum-esque jump forward this year).
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was born in LA and grew up watching the Dodgers and listening to Vin Scully as a little kid. Then I moved away when I was 11, became sort of a Reds fan for a few years, but I never stopped liking the Dodgers and ultimately they became my number one team again (and always will be). A couple of months ago, I got the opportunity to move the Central Coast of California with the Air Force. I'll be here less than a year, but the chance to go to Chavez Ravine this year and the chance to watch Dodger baseball is something that I've been greatly looking forward to. Two nights ago, I watch almost all nine innings of the Dodgers/Angels preseason game. Yes, I watched almost an entire preseason game. I don't think I've watched nine innings of a baseball game in years, but that's how excited I was about watching Dodger baseball with Vin Scully on the mike. I only wish he could announce forever. As far as this year's team is concerned, I think they'll probably win about 88-90 games and win the West. I wish I could see them going all the way to the World Series and winning it, but like Patrick said, I just don't think the pitching is there. Barring a midseason trade, Jason Schmidt coming back and being pitcher we thought he would be, or Billingsley, Kersahw and McDonald pitching out of their minds, I think we probably lose in the NLCS. I'm really happy that we're competitive again though.

im really really excited for the dodgers offense this season. We are definitely going against what we normally do. (strong pitching, weak hitting) I think the key to the dodger's season will hinge on kershaw and wolf pitching well. I can't wait to see what James mcdonald has to bring to the table. I think that it will come down to the dodgers and arizona again but our hitting will prove to be too much. i predict 92 wins this season. LETS GO DODGERSSSSSSSSSS

Good start to the year. Kuroda looked pretty good until he tired in the 6th, and we beat Peavy which is a minor miracle (13-1 lifetime vs LAD going into today). I'm intrigued by the news that Matt Kemp got contacts; maybe he won't swing through so many fastballs this year and take the next forward in his career.

Good start to the year. Kuroda looked pretty good until he tired in the 6th, and we beat Peavy which is a minor miracle (13-1 lifetime vs LAD going into today). I'm intrigued by the news that Matt Kemp got contacts; maybe he won't swing through so many fastballs this year and take the next forward in his career.
I'm quite happy about the Kemp news, partly b/c I own him in a fantasy league that counts strikeouts, so I need him to cut those down if he's gonna be useful. That said, I'm really excited to see if he can take that next step forward and be the superstar people have been predicting for years. Obviously beating Peavy today was huge. Kuroda looked solid and while we had to use our bullpen a little bit more than would have been ideal, they were up to the task. Ethier continues to impress hitting behind Manny and Furcal and Hudson look like they're gonna be awesome table setters. All things considered, I'm very excited. I just hope the pitching holds up.

Wolf looked ok, but like Kuroda he tired in the 6th and they did a poor job of anticipating it. The umpire's zone was inconsistent for both sides, so that was kind of annoying. Hopefully Bills get his season off to a good start; last year he was slow out of the gate, partly because of that fluke rain out game vs the Giants early on that messed up his schedule.

Good win; Bills looked decent, but like Wolf and Kuroda he faded in the 5th. Games at Petco are so boring, but it could be just the team.
I think it probably has to do with Petco. I keep hearing folks on ESPN and ESPN.com talk about how great the Dodger lineup is and how it's the best/deepest in baseball. I'd say Petco has really been holding us back this week. We'll get a better idea of where we stand in the coming weeks.
I think it probably has to do with Petco. I keep hearing folks on ESPN and ESPN.com talk about how great the Dodger lineup is and how it's the best/deepest in baseball. I'd say Petco has really been holding us back this week. We'll get a better idea of where we stand in the coming weeks.
lol, who would that be?
lol, who would that be?
He's right; the lineup has been hyped up but so was the Tigers last year. 4-3 road trip to start the year is acceptable I guess, but I am more than a little worried about the bullpen. If Kuo had a rubber arm and could pitch the 8th every day I wouldn't be worried, but he can't so they are stuck with guys like Mota and Wade. Wade was fantastic last year, but hasn't looked too good since ST started.Manny off to somewhat of a slow start, but he's been walked a ton. Hudson has looked good, and I love hearing Vin Scully say O Dog over and over.
He's right; the lineup has been hyped up but so was the Tigers last year. 4-3 road trip to start the year is acceptable I guess, but I am more than a little worried about the bullpen. If Kuo had a rubber arm and could pitch the 8th every day I wouldn't be worried, but he can't so they are stuck with guys like Mota and Wade. Wade was fantastic last year, but hasn't looked too good since ST started.Manny off to somewhat of a slow start, but he's been walked a ton. Hudson has looked good, and I love hearing Vin Scully say O Dog over and over.
What time does the Giants/Dodgers game begin tonight?
What time does the Giants/Dodgers game begin tonight?
Yawn, thanks for being a part of Dodgers history '09 Giants. I thought Wes Parker would have the only cycle forever, that was cool to see.On a positive SF note, you'll win a road game eventually.
Yawn, thanks for being a part of Dodgers history '09 Giants. I thought Wes Parker would have the only cycle forever, that was cool to see.On a positive SF note, you'll win a road game eventually.
I hope so. Hopefully Cain will pitch well today....
I hope so. Hopefully Cain will pitch well today....
Cain's not going to be doing any pitching today. And tomorrow, he'll probably get shelled.
Cain's not going to be doing any pitching today. And tomorrow, he'll probably get shelled.
meh, it's weird that they played a game then had a day off, and then play tomorrow. I find it odd that they took a break after the first game of a series.
meh, it's weird that they played a game then had a day off, and then play tomorrow. I find it odd that they took a break after the first game of a series.
I caught a little bit of Monday's broadcast and Vin Scully said that they schedule an open date after a home opener in case of weather on the day of the scheduled game. That way, if they need to postpone they can just play it the next day. Kinda makes sense.Kershaw versus Cain tonight. Two very good young pitchers. Hopefully it'll be a good game.

what an interesting game tonight. Kershaw pitches his heart out with 14 strikeouts. Then the blowpen comes in and instantly blows it. Im really glad we got the win but this is going to be a long year with this pitching staff.

what an interesting game tonight. Kershaw pitches his heart out with 14 strikeouts. Then the blowpen comes in and instantly blows it. Im really glad we got the win but this is going to be a long year with this pitching staff.
I'm actually very encouraged by the last two nights. Billingsley and Kershaw pitched great. Kershaw has been awesome so far and hasn't really exhibited any of the growing pains I was afraid we might see. There are going to be nights in any season when the bullpen blows it. Kuo has been very good for us out of the bullpen, so I'm not really worried about him. Comeback wins are always good to get too. It shows the character of a team. This is the most excited I've been about a Dodger team in recent memory.
I'm actually very encouraged by the last two nights. Billingsley and Kershaw pitched great. Kershaw has been awesome so far and hasn't really exhibited any of the growing pains I was afraid we might see. There are going to be nights in any season when the bullpen blows it. Kuo has been very good for us out of the bullpen, so I'm not really worried about him. Comeback wins are always good to get too. It shows the character of a team. This is the most excited I've been about a Dodger team in recent memory.
The Giants offense makes a lot of pitchers look good, unfortunately. Billingsley and Kershaw are good, but not that good.
The Giants offense makes a lot of pitchers look good, unfortunately. Billingsley and Kershaw are good, but not that good.
If you think that Billingsley and Kershaw are not that good then you have no idea about baseball. They are both amazing pitchers.