1 Year Goal Questions

I'm turning 17 on tuesday and I'm going to set up some 1 year goals for myself when I actaully legally can play online. I want to have a decent br when I turn 18. I'm starting with $100 and my question is to you guys is How much do you think I could run it up too? To give you some background information I'd say I'm a decent player for my age right now. Until June I will be obviously limited in playing because of school. I will be playing around 2 hours on school days and as much as I can on weekends, holidays and other things. I'm going to start out playing sngs probably 5.50 or 6.50 turbos. I wont be playing cash games until I have the br to play 100 nl and ill still be playing sngs then too... I think. Hopefully maintaining a 15% roi minimum playing $33 sngs and lower. I have a couple of questions for you guys. I want to maintain good br management, so I wont be taking any daring shots that could kill my br. Most likely be using something like Chris's no more than 5% of your br in play at all times or even more conservative than that. I'm not saying I'm going to succeed in this, but I wanna try this and see if going to take poker to the next stop and play through college and generate money that way. If I don't succeed in this, im going to really reexamine if i should put alot of time into poker.How much $ would you consider to be a good goal for me in 1 year?Should I play regular sngs or turbo sngs?Would anyone be interested in me blogging about it? (this doesnt really matter just wondering, i will if enough interest)Thanks, All answers are appreciated.btw im a junior in high school this this year

I'm turning 17 on tuesday and I'm going to set up some 1 year goals for myself when I actaully legally can play online. I want to have a decent br when I turn 18. I'm starting with $100 and my question is to you guys is How much do you think I could run it up too? To give you some background information I'd say I'm a decent player for my age right now. Until June I will be obviously limited in playing because of school. I will be playing around 2 hours on school days and as much as I can on weekends, holidays and other things. I'm going to start out playing sngs probably 5.50 or 6.50 turbos. I wont be playing cash games until I have the br to play 100 nl and ill still be playing sngs then too... I think. Hopefully maintaining a 15% roi minimum playing $33 sngs and lower. I have a couple of questions for you guys. I want to maintain good br management, so I wont be taking any daring shots that could kill my br. Most likely be using something like Chris's no more than 5% of your br in play at all times or even more conservative than that. I'm not saying I'm going to succeed in this, but I wanna try this and see if going to take poker to the next stop and play through college and generate money that way. If I don't succeed in this, im going to really reexamine if i should put alot of time into poker.How much $ would you consider to be a good goal for me in 1 year?Should I play regular sngs or turbo sngs?Would anyone be interested in me blogging about it? (this doesnt really matter just wondering, i will if enough interest)Thanks, All answers are appreciated.btw im a junior in high school this this year
VGL, sounds like you have a grasp on things.I personally don't have to good BR Management, so I will refrain from answering the first question. I personally like Turbos better, but if you have the patience, probably regular SNGs are better. As far as the blog goes, I would be interested in reading it or atleast updates here.Where are you going to be playing?Again, GL and if you keep at it, I'm sure you will be able to make a good profit.
VGL, sounds like you have a grasp on things.I personally don't have to good BR Management, so I will refrain from answering the first question. I personally like Turbos better, but if you have the patience, probably regular SNGs are better. As far as the blog goes, I would be interested in reading it or atleast updates here.Where are you going to be playing?Again, GL and if you keep at it, I'm sure you will be able to make a good profit.
I'll be playing as HS1996 on Full Tilt...I'm probably going to play turbos because maybe even if my ROI is lower i could get a better hourly income.I know for a fact that i can beat these games its just that i cant tilt away my whole br like ive done sometimes.Yeah, maybe I'll make a blog and update on weekends what happened in the week.I still need an answer to one of my questions... How much $ should i attempt to make in the year?
If you start with a bankroll of $100 and play poker for a year and end up not going broke, that would be a major accomplishment. I wouldn't concern yourself with how much you may make in a year. I would concentrate on improving your game, while trying your best to not go broke. Once you have 6-8 months under your belt you'll know better than we will, how much money you can expect to make playing poker at the stakes you are playing at. It's different for everyone.I've been playing for 2-3 years now, and I couldn't tell you how much money I'm going to have in my br come Sept '08. I hope it's at least double what I have now, but more importantly, I hope I'm a better player by this time next year and that I haven't come close to going broke.If you don't have a lot of experience playing online, consider starting out playing the smallest stakes you can find. Players, too often, base their stakes solely on their bankroll - which is a HUGE mistake. The stakes you play should be stakes you're comfortable and experienced playing and where you have a significant edge. So if you started out playing 2.20 sngs, played 300-500 of them and kept track of your stats (ROI, ITM, etc) you could say to yourself - 'I'm killing sngs at the $2.20 level, so I feel confident moving up.' Also, if you start playing say $5.50 sngs, and lose your first 10 to bad luck/poor play, etc, you're not going to be very happy. If the same thing happens at the lower stakes, it's not such a bit deal.Don't play turbo - you won't learn much about playing poker playing turbo sngs - the play is just to fast.Finally, don't think about money if you can help it. Think about playing poker and improving your play, getting experienced and trying out different styles to find the one that works for you. Avoid tilt and good luck.
If you start with a bankroll of $100 and play poker for a year and end up not going broke, that would be a major accomplishment. I wouldn't concern yourself with how much you may make in a year. I would concentrate on improving your game, while trying your best to not go broke. Once you have 6-8 months under your belt you'll know better than we will, how much money you can expect to make playing poker at the stakes you are playing at. It's different for everyone.I've been playing for 2-3 years now, and I couldn't tell you how much money I'm going to have in my br come Sept '08. I hope it's at least double what I have now, but more importantly, I hope I'm a better player by this time next year and that I haven't come close to going broke.If you don't have a lot of experience playing online, consider starting out playing the smallest stakes you can find. Players, too often, base their stakes solely on their bankroll - which is a HUGE mistake. The stakes you play should be stakes you're comfortable and experienced playing and where you have a significant edge. So if you started out playing 2.20 sngs, played 300-500 of them and kept track of your stats (ROI, ITM, etc) you could say to yourself - 'I'm killing sngs at the $2.20 level, so I feel confident moving up.' Also, if you start playing say $5.50 sngs, and lose your first 10 to bad luck/poor play, etc, you're not going to be very happy. If the same thing happens at the lower stakes, it's not such a bit deal.Don't play turbo - you won't learn much about playing poker playing turbo sngs - the play is just to fast.Finally, don't think about money if you can help it. Think about playing poker and improving your play, getting experienced and trying out different styles to find the one that works for you. Avoid tilt and good luck.
Thanks for your input, I have played online mostly turbo sngs though, I hope I can adjust and concentrate on regulars. Im going to start out playing 5.50s. I realize that is underrolled but and if i drop below $75 ill go to $2s, I play $20 home games so it would be very difficult for me to play $2s. One big problem is for me, is that if I lose money I want to get it back fast and that is something im gonna need to control

Turbo Sit n gos have a higher luck factor, and thus more of a variance. If your goal is to be an acomplished player I would highly reccommend playing regular speed games. I personally find luck to be a huge factor in any turbo type tournament. You end up making preflop decisions for all of your chips way to soon.Great if you get aces, bad the other 219 hands.

Gansey, I want to see a blog or at least a thread on here that you keep updated. You need to play where YOU are comfortable and profitable, but I agree with the others about the luck factor involved in turbo's. Any time I play a turbo, I feel like I'm forced to make questionable decisions because the blinds go up so quickly. GOOD LUCK! And with WVU smashing Marshall today, maybe that's your sign to get started! LOL

Gansey, I want to see a blog or at least a thread on here that you keep updated. You need to play where YOU are comfortable and profitable, but I agree with the others about the luck factor involved in turbo's. Any time I play a turbo, I feel like I'm forced to make questionable decisions because the blinds go up so quickly. GOOD LUCK! And with WVU smashing Marshall today, maybe that's your sign to get started! LOL
yeah ill whip up a blog or something like that, yeah im pretty happy that wvu won even thought they had a terrible 1st half. I'm waiting on my friend getting rakeback for august until i can start this, then he can transfer it to me. so when ever that comes i can start this

You can make a broad yearly goal, but I don't think it will help you much. You should really set up modest monthly goals and try to always reach them and occasionally surpass them. It'll keep you motivated and focused, atleast that's what it does for me. Good luck though and don't be too hard on yourself.

Couple of things...First of all, GL to you. I was at a similar point a few years ago and it's quite a journey. I encourage you to not rely on poker at this point, continue to work hard at school and possibly get a part time job. There are thousands of poker players out there, and very few that rely on it as full time employment. Be sure that you dont neglect your future by playing too much at this point.Secondly, bankroll management is going to be huge in your endeavor. Starting with 20 BI ($100 at $5 level) is fine, but I would try to follow a 30-40 rule in general if you're going to be serious about this. SNG variance sucks...Third, turbo vs. regular. I play turbo's, and find them to be quite profitable and you can definitely learn poker playing them. You're not going to become great at deep stack play, but you will get very good with shortstack play. That's definitely a valuable skill as well. Turbo's are going to have higher variance, but also a higher $/hr because you can play more of them in an hour and also can multitable them more, IMO.Fourth, your ROI goal is very high. I have sharkscope and sharkscope every SNG i play and none of the regulars with thousands of games played ever have an ROI over 10%.Fifth, for a $ goal I would suggest setting a goal for each month, a 6 month goal and a 12 month goal. The math on the 1 month goal is pretty simple really, #games you hope to play, ROI you hope for and the level you'll be playing. For 6 and 12 month goals you'll have to change this according to how you plan to move up in levels and how your ROI will decrease as you move up.If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me and I'll try to help as much as possible.

One big problem is for me, is that if I lose money I want to get it back fast and that is something im gonna need to control
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE work on this first. No matter how sick of a player you are, if you can't control this you will not be successful. For proof of this, check out the monthly goals thread that is General strat. and read about the ups and downs that iggymcfly goes through. It is obvious that he has very sick talent in PLO, and if he allowed himself patience he could be killing the decent stakes, but he has this same problem.. he goes on tilt, moves up, and destroys his roll. Listen to the ppl on this forum, and start with the $2 sngs.

yeah thats the biggest thing that has hurt me online because i can play any buy in at any time online, and live its usually just 1 tournament and 1 buy in, and I do well in those. I went and bought Zen and the Art of Poker 2 days ago to help me with emotions and things like that. I havn't got a chance to read it but I will when I get the time.edit: i wont be able to respond for about 4 hours im going to watch the packers game at a friends house

"One big problem is for me, is that if I lose money I want to get it back fast and that is something im gonna need to control."This is why I suggested $2. My bankroll is more than double yours and I play $2.40 sngs. I could play higher, but than if I hit a 30 sng losing skid (not losing every sng, just losing a large majority of them say 24/30), which happens rarely, but perhaps 5 times a year for me, I know that it would throw me off my game.Really, it depends how much you don't want to lose that initial bankroll. It going broke isn't a big deal, play however high you want. Those of us who are suggesting $2 don't want to see you go broke and are trying to help you learn bankroll management and disapline. Those two skills alone, if you got them down, will make you better than a LOT of online poker players. "Third, turbo vs. regular. I play turbo's, and find them to be quite profitable and you can definitely learn poker playing them. You're not going to become great at deep stack play, but you will get very good with shortstack play. That's definitely a valuable skill as well. Turbo's are going to have higher variance, but also a higher $/hr because you can play more of them in an hour and also can multitable them more, IMO."I think if you played hundreds of turbo sngs, you would develop bad playing habits if you're not careful. Yes, you learn to play short stack poker, but you get to do that in any sng, really, unless you smoke the field completely. I think you pick up more playing regular sngs, where there's a bit more play in the early and middle stages. Even when it gets headsup, sometimes you might have 12-15 BB in a regular sng, so you're not just moving allin preflop right away. Some people will argue that sngs aren't poker at all. I disagree, but still concede they have a point. Their point is even stronger when you look at turbos, which quickly become a shove fest.No question, if the competition is weak and you are an experienced sng player, turbos would be the way to go strictly in terms of making money. You can even drop down in terms of ITM finishes and still rake in a bigger profit in terms of volume. My ROI in sngs is still something like 25-30 ROI. But, that's at $1-$2 admittedly over the course of about two years. You can get a higher ROI than 10 percent, but probably not playing 6+ turbos at the same time, as many sng regulars do. I usually just 2-4 table.