Bank Error In My Favor

So, yesterday I deposited some cash into my Bank of America bank account. It was a somewhat large amount for me (let's call it x, where x > $1000). I did it in person at the teller simply by giving the woman cash, swiping my debit card, and having her deposit it. I had to write in a deposit slip the amount. Usually I just use the ATM machine, but since this was larger than usual, I decided to do it in person. I got a receipt, and I thought I checked the receipt and it said the correct amount. I'm pretty sure I've since thrown away the receipt. I'm also pretty sure she counted the money in an automatic counting machine.Anyway, long story short, I checked my bank account today and I saw that, instead of having x added to my account, I had 10x added to my account. Since x was a lot of money to me, 10x is, well, a great deal of money. Since I deposited in cash, the money is immediately available to me.So, I guess my question is: what's our policy about this again? What's my responsibility, and how quickly do I have to fulfill it? Is there some statute of limitations...?I'm a honest person and I want to do what's right, but if I'm legally allowed to say nothing, I'll happily do that...Thoughts?

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short answer: you have no rights to that money.
Medium length answer: the laws vary by state, but usually you need to report it within 60 days. If you know it's an error and don't do anything, they can prosecute you for theft. There's really very little chance that you get any benefit from this.
Medium length answer: the laws vary by state, but usually you need to report it within 60 days. If you know it's an error and don't do anything, they can prosecute you for theft. There's really very little chance that you get any benefit from this.
Well, that's boring. Can't we dream up more interesting scenarios in which this benefits me? For example, should I print out my bank statement, take it to a bar, and show it to loose women?
Well, that's boring. Can't we dream up more interesting scenarios in which this benefits me? For example, should I print out my bank statement, take it to a bar, and show it to loose women?
I'd also consider saving it as a PDF so you can update the date every couple of months. Also I would suggest going to bars/clubs where there are black women.

Too bad tis isn't Monopoly. At least you get to keep the $$$ in the game. Maybe you shuold write a letter to the little guy with the top hat. He might be able to work something our for you.mustache-monopoly-guy.jpg

I'd also consider saving it as a PDF so you can update the date every couple of months.
I think ATM receipts is the way to go. Nobody carries their bank statements around. Go to the ATM, take out a couple hundred dollars, and then keep the receipt. Then put that money back in and keep the receipt. Repeat. Then when you give your phone number to some woman, you write it on the back of the ATM receipt and give it to her. You know, nonchalantly. Like it was the only piece of paper around.Do people still write phone numbers down? Or do you just enter it into your cell phone?Maybe you can have the ATM receipt in your wallet and have it accidentally fall out next to her when you go to buy a drink.Wait, I know, go buy a brand new car in cash, like a Ferrari or something, drive it around for the day, and then return it for a full refund. Tell them it didn't match your clothes or something. Ferrari dealerships deal with that sort of thing all the time.I might be overestimating this bank error.
What You Should Do? It’s quite simple – call your bank and tell them
Yeah... tell them, "So long, suckers," and then move to Tijuana. With that kind of money, I'd live like a king for the rest of my life. A KING, DAMMIT!
Yeah... tell them, "So long, suckers," and then move to Tijuana. With that kind of money, I'd live like a king for the rest of my life. A KING, DAMMIT!
Well, you could get a job out of the country but I"d go someplace like Switzerland that won't extradite you and has the added side benefit of extremely hot blondes and hot tubs on every corner yet easy access to French side trips. The down side would be getting a job probably though. I mean you would probably enjoy it so much you wouldn't mind the fact you could never return to the United States.
Well, you could get a job out of the country but I"d go someplace like Switzerland that won't extradite you and has the added side benefit of extremely hot blondes and hot tubs on every corner yet easy access to French side trips. The down side would be getting a job probably though.
Oh, yeah, how would I ever get a job in Switzerland...

You guys remember that Seinfeld episode where Kramer accidentally got movie channels from the cable company, and the company had to track him down and get into his house to change them back. And Kramer kept putting them on hold and missing their appointments just to punish the cable companies for being so bad about phone calls and appointments?Yeah, that's what I want to do. I want to put them on hold, play music in their ears, but tell them that their call is "important to me."

I had a similar situation. Withdrew $1,000, asked for it in 20's. I was playing live poker and/or am a baller. I walk away, see the teller has given me 50 50's instead of 20's, but my withdrawal slip said $1,000.I probably would've said nothing, since from working in a bank, I know it is minutely possible this error might not be caught (unlike LLY's, which definitely will be).Unfortunately, since said bank was also my employer, I kind of had to say something.I didn't point out I was an employee, just pretended I was super nice. Got a free calendar out of it.In summary, LLY, you might get a free calendar out of this.

It seems like as long as you don't spend it, you're good to just wait it out. Maybe just maybe, the actual recipient is a billionaire with a secretary who embezzles, and no one will notice. I figure you're in the clear by this time next year.Note to SuitedAces21: I'm joking.

but I"d go someplace like Switzerland that won't extradite you
We totally have an extradition treaty with Switzerland. Of course, if you anally rape a 14-year-old girl then they'll probably deny extradition because who wouldn't hit that and she was probably asking for it amirite. You wanna go somewhere like Cuba to avoid any possibility of extradition. Am I the only one curious why LLY was depositing large sums of cash? Either you deal drugs or you won big at a poker game? Or maybe illegal street vending? I suppose it could also be legal street vending, but that just doesn't seem right.
Am I the only one curious why LLY was depositing large sums of cash? Either you deal drugs or you won big at a poker game? Or maybe illegal street vending? I suppose it could also be legal street vending, but that just doesn't seem right.
He saw his pimp obviously.Wait, no, I mean he's the pimp and the women who he employs saw him.You know, to give him his cut from the money they made whoring.Is that how it works? Or do they give their pimp all the money and then he gives them their cut? That's probably the standard business model.Because if that's the case, then I want to go back to my original answer that he saw his pimp.Anyway, in summation: prostitution.

Call the bank and tell them that you deposited 20x your actual deposit, but they only gave you 10x the amount.Then tell them since you're in such a good mood, you'll let the mistake slide this one time, and just keep what were you given.

Oh, yeah, how would I ever get a job in Switzerland...
Heh.
I had a similar situation. Withdrew $1,000, asked for it in 20's. I was playing like poker and/or am a baller. I walk away, see the teller has given me 50 50's instead of 20's, but my withdrawal slip said $1,000.
I feel like this one you would have gotten away with since it was just a teller error with no record of the erroneous transaction.