March Madness 2009

Looking forward to the big conference tournaments this week and seeing whose bubbles are bursting.Big East and ACC tournaments should be really good, I'm watching Wake Forest and Marquette closely because they have final four talent but I'm not sure if they can get there now for different reasons. These tournaments should be good indicators of how they will preform under pressure. I'm also hoping for a Kansas/Oklahoma matchup in the Big-12.I think Michigan can lock up a tournament spot with a win over Iowa in the opening round of the Big-10 tournament.

Michigan [19-12 (9-9), RPI: 42, SOS: 10] The Wolverines probably went a long way in wrapping up an NCAA at-large bid by beating Minnesota on the road on Saturday. They might still need a victory in the Big Ten tournament -- another loss to Iowa is not advisable -- but the Wolverines seem to be in OK shape because of their high-end victories and strength of schedule (No. 10 nationally). Michigan beat six RPI top-50 foes, including impressive nonconference victories over Duke (home) and UCLA (neutral court). It also beat Illinois (home), Purdue (home) and Minnesota (home and road). Along with sweeping the Gophers, the Wolverines split games with Penn State, but were swept by both Wisconsin and Ohio State. Michigan won four of its last six games and went 6-9 against RPI top-50 foes and 10-11 against the top 100. The road win at Minnesota was important because Michigan lost eight of its first 10 games played away from Ann Arbor.
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I predict that I won't be able to remember this year's winner six months from now
You already forgot about Kansas and Mario's 3 pointer last year.I'm pretty sure March Madness is my favorite sporting event of the year even without office pools. Now just imagine if they did it in football.

i think this year is a good year to argue for contraction of the 64 teams. I am not being serious, really. But the bubble teams mostly suck.

i think this year is a good year to argue for contraction of the 64 teams. I am not being serious, really. But the bubble teams mostly suck.
If anything this is a year where it's more wide open than ever. There is no one completely dominate team, they all have flaws and a team like George Mason could easily make the final four again.
its one of those years where you have no idea whose gonna make the final four let alone win this thing. should be exciting.
Agree. This is what the tournament should be like, no dominating team or two, you can make good arguments for more than five teams winning it all.
Agree. This is what the tournament should be like, no dominating team or two, you can make good arguments for more than five teams winning it all.
I think you can go as deep as 10-12 and thats not including a team that ends up with a 6 seed that just gets hot at the right time.Obviously the favorites are teams like UNC, Uconn, Pitt, Louisville, Memphis, Wake, Oklahoma... but they have all proven to be beatable.
My 65 TeamsFun little project I've been working on since I had my cold. Finally healthy for the most part!Did this last year, but everything was all on paper. I got 60 or 61 of 65 if I remember correctly, but I couldn't update anything on Sunday before the selection. Plus I was life tilted when IU got an 8 seed. This is being updated daily.
If anything this is a year where it's more wide open than ever. There is no one completely dominate team, they all have flaws and a team like George Mason could easily make the final four again.
yes its very wide open at the top and really crap in the middle. thats all I am saying.I also think its crazy that UNC has been so disappointing. As a UNC fan can you shed any light? I thought they were going to be dominant this year.....on paper they should be thumping people night in night out.
umm, they won the acc and are ranked number 1 right now.
I didnt think they would lose more than one game. I thought they would sweep the ACC and be the clear overall #1 seed. The fact is that UNC needs to win the ACC tournament to be the #1 overall seed otherwise it will probably go to Pitt or UConn.Its obviously a great season......but I wont lie I thought they would be an all time team and they arent so far. its all relative. I realize if they go on to win the tournament that no one will care that they lost a few games and had some struggles. But I think a lot of people figured they would never struggle this year.
I didnt think they would lose more than one game. I thought they would sweep the ACC and be the clear overall #1 seed. The fact is that UNC needs to win the ACC tournament to be the #1 overall seed otherwise it will probably go to Pitt or UConn.Its obviously a great season......but I wont lie I thought they would be an all time team and they arent so far. its all relative. I realize if they go on to win the tournament that no one will care that they lost a few games and had some struggles. But I think a lot of people figured they would never struggle this year.
UNC is a #1 regardless. The only #1 spot up for grabs is between OU/Memphis/Louisville.You going to the 1st/2nd rnd games down here?
Ginyard going out with an injury really hurt them in the few ACC games they lost. A few games where you ave seen someone with NBA level talent going off on them like the guard from Miami he would be the guy that gets put on them to lock them down late in the game. Not having that defensive stopper has hurt them against the top level talent.
UNC is a #1 regardless. The only #1 spot up for grabs is between OU/Memphis/Louisville.You going to the 1st/2nd rnd games down here?
2nd round games potentially. I will be in Vegas/Phoenix during the 1st round.
No team that has ever lost its first conference tournament game has gone on to win the national title.Better be careful with Pitt, Uconn, Kansas and Oklahoma this year.
I think UNC will win.