• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#21 vonteego3

vonteego3

Putting dogs ahead of people since 2005

• Members
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

Good thing we kept this guy rather than Burnett. Winning is a pretty silly concept, anyways.

#22 Oziumrules

Oziumrules

Golf Professional/Poker Amateur

• Members
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:26 PM

How do we not score that run in the bottom of the 9th? Did he miss the sign? He should have walked home. It seemed like he had no idea he was bunting? What a comeback it would have been.

#23 fryer98

fryer98

You missed....the EARTH!

• Members
  • 21,711 posts
  • Interests:playing/coaching ice hockey, BARS, this, that, WHAT?
  • Favorite Poker Game:Beeeeeeeeeerains!

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:28 AM

View PostOziumrules, on Tuesday, April 8th, 2008, 12:26 AM, said:

How do we not score that run in the bottom of the 9th? Did he miss the sign? He should have walked home. It seemed like he had no idea he was bunting? What a comeback it would have been.
After Doug Mientkiewicz was intentionally walked, Bautista put down a surprise bunt up the first-base line toward Derrek Lee, with an eye toward catching the Chicago infield off guard and giving Bixler a chance to score.Bixler broke initially, hesitated and went back to the bag. Lee scooped up the ball and tagged Bautista for the easy second out. Luis Rivas grounded out to end the inning, and Bixler was booed loudly by the overflow crowd of 37,491.The simplest explanation came from manager John Russell, who acknowledged "this was the kid's second game in the majors" but did not excuse the play: "If he takes off right away, it's over. Bixler just froze."No one disagreed, including Lee, who said, "I'm not going to get him out there."But there was a little more to it, as Russell and others detailed ...The play was one the Pirates had rehearsed all spring, including while Bixler still was in the major-league camp. Typically, it calls for the batter, with a man at third and less than two outs, to use his discretion when deciding to bunt. The runner is to break on contact, then go all out once he sees the ball is on the ground and away from the pitcher.Sometimes, such as when the Pirates did it successfully in the season opener in Atlanta -- with Bautista batting and Nady running -- each receives a signal from third base coach Tony Beasley.Neither had a signal this time."Jose went on his own," Beasley said. "And it's up to Bix to read the play."Beasley also took some blame himself, as he did not react to the bunt, either.Once Bautista was tagged out, he looked over his shoulder to see Bixler still at third and was visibly displeased.That did not appear to change much afterward."It's a play that, if he breaks, we get a run out of it," Bautista said. "I don't know what happened on the other end. I couldn't tell you."Bixler's explanation was as simple as Russell's."It just kind of caught me off guard," Bixler said. "That's about it. I didn't really expect it. I just kind of stopped and let the play go as it did."

#24 Oziumrules

Oziumrules

• Members
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:56 AM

Swept by the Cubs.... :club: Our pitching is awful.

#25 vonteego3

vonteego3

• Members
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:43 PM

View PostOziumrules, on Friday, April 11th, 2008, 2:56 PM, said:

Swept by the Cubs.... :club: Our pitching is awful.
The pitching hasn't been bad... they're 3-6 because Bay and LaRoche only have RBIs in ONE game all season. They'd be better off with Duke playing left and hitting 3rd.

#26 Oziumrules

Oziumrules

• Members
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:48 PM

View Postvonteego3, on Friday, April 11th, 2008, 6:43 PM, said:

The pitching hasn't been bad... they're 3-6 because Bay and LaRoche only have RBIs in ONE game all season. They'd be better off with Duke playing left and hitting 3rd.
I agree BUT Ian Snell is the only Pirate pitcher with a win...unless of course, the lead stands tonight vs the Reds. Then he will have both.

#27 vonteego3

vonteego3

• Members
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:03 PM

View PostOziumrules, on Saturday, April 12th, 2008, 8:48 PM, said:

I agree BUT Ian Snell is the only Pirate pitcher with a win...unless of course, the lead stands tonight vs the Reds. Then he will have both.
starting pitcher, you mean.Which was true until yesterday, at least... but you gotta look past just the W numbers. Maholm threw 1 bad pitch in his first start, and then 5 1/3 shutout innings in his 2nd... he's 1 pitch away from having an ERA under 1. Duke has been absolutely fantastic so far, Gorzellany looked good in the first game, got hammered in the 2nd, but then looked tremendous again yesterday... and Snell is Snell. Matt Morris stinks, yeah... but if we finish the year with our #5 with an ERA around 5, that's not too bad, is it?As far as the bullpen is concerned, the only big problem is Meek, and he'll mostly stay out of the way... which effectively forces the Pirates to play the season with a 24 man roster. (It's moves like this that frustrate me with this organization.) Dumatrait has been a pleasant suprise, Capps has been great excluding the opener, Marte seems to be turning it around, Grabow hasn't given up a run yet, Yates has been tremendous, and Osoria has been overused but solid.If they can get some production out of the middle of the order, they could threaten .500 this year. I've lost all faith in Bay, though, and I know McLouth isn't gonna hit .400 all year long (although .330 isn't out of the question). We'll see.

#28 Oziumrules

Oziumrules

• Members
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

Bay has actually showed up the last few games....nice to see.

#29 Oziumrules

Oziumrules

• Members
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:48 PM

Mc Clouth is on FIRE !!! 4 in a row baby !!!

#30 Shimmering Wang

Shimmering Wang

Daddy Wears the Daddy-Pants

• Members
  • 6,362 posts
  • Interests:I am very into ducks.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:44 PM

If anybody sees Nate McLouth, please tell him I want to give him 5 beers for his performance last night. Make that 7 beers.

#31 PMJackson21

PMJackson21

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

View PostShimmering Wang, on Tuesday, April 15th, 2008, 1:44 PM, said:

If anybody sees Nate McLouth, please tell him I want to give him 5 beers for his performance last night. Make that 7 beers.
If anyone sees Takashi Saito, punch him in the throat for me. On a side note, Duke should be ashamed of himself for letting Andruw make solid contact against him.
----

Patrick
PMJackson21

"PrtyPsux estaba jugando muy loose, raiseaba desde early con KJo...cosas asi."

#32 vonteego3

vonteego3

• Members
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:30 PM

View PostPMJackson21, on Tuesday, April 15th, 2008, 4:36 PM, said:

If anyone sees Takashi Saito, punch him in the throat for me. On a side note, Duke should be ashamed of himself for letting Andruw make solid contact against him.
Out of our thread, Dodgers fan.We have enough of a cloud hanging over us as is, we don't need your smog.

#33 Oziumrules

Oziumrules

• Members
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:54 PM

Matt Morris getting SHELLED again....

#34 PMJackson21

PMJackson21

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:52 AM

View PostOziumrules, on Tuesday, April 15th, 2008, 8:54 PM, said:

Matt Morris getting SHELLED again....
In regards to the Morris-Davis deal last year, did the Pirates ever explain that move? I know they have McClouth and didn't consider Rajai Davis a premium prospect, but what was the point of acquiring Morris? It seemed very odd at the time since most people thought if any team would take Morris off the Giants' hands, it would be a contender, not a team in the Pirates position. Was it just to add a 'veteran' to the rotation to help with the younger pitchers? If so, has there been any growth/improvement that you can see in the young guys since Morris has been there?
----

Patrick
PMJackson21

#35 PMJackson21

PMJackson21

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:55 AM

View Postvonteego3, on Tuesday, April 15th, 2008, 7:30 PM, said:

Out of our thread, Dodgers fan.We have enough of a cloud hanging over us as is, we don't need your smog.
And here I thought Dodgers fans and Pirates fans had a strong common bond over our feelings for Barry, not to mention our mutual adoration of Jim Tracy and Jim Colborn. Sigh.
----

Patrick
PMJackson21

#36 Oziumrules

Oziumrules

• Members
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

View PostPMJackson21, on Wednesday, April 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM, said:

In regards to the Morris-Davis deal last year, did the Pirates ever explain that move? I know they have McClouth and didn't consider Rajai Davis a premium prospect, but what was the point of acquiring Morris? It seemed very odd at the time since most people thought if any team would take Morris off the Giants' hands, it would be a contender, not a team in the Pirates position. Was it just to add a 'veteran' to the rotation to help with the younger pitchers? If so, has there been any growth/improvement that you can see in the young guys since Morris has been there?
That was it. What a waste of $12,000,000 which is the highest paid player on the team.

#37 PMJackson21

PMJackson21

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:11 AM

View PostOziumrules, on Wednesday, April 16th, 2008, 10:57 AM, said:

That was it. What a waste of $12,000,000 which is the highest paid player on the team.
OMG, he is the highest paid player on the team? That is about as depressing as Zito.How about the 2nd part of my question? Any improvement? I know Giants announcers raved about how good Morris was with Cain etc.Also on a side note, by some comments I read I take it Colborn/Tracy weren't highly thought of with the fan base? I wasn't a big Jim Tracy fan, but Colborn always seemed to do an excellent job with our staff.
----

Patrick
PMJackson21

#38 Oziumrules

Oziumrules

• Members
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:59 AM

View PostPMJackson21, on Wednesday, April 16th, 2008, 1:11 PM, said:

OMG, he is the highest paid player on the team? That is about as depressing as Zito.How about the 2nd part of my question? Any improvement? I know Giants announcers raved about how good Morris was with Cain etc.Also on a side note, by some comments I read I take it Colborn/Tracy weren't highly thought of with the fan base? I wasn't a big Jim Tracy fan, but Colborn always seemed to do an excellent job with our staff.
From what I have read he has almost "0" effect on the young starters. As for Tracy/Colburn, I knew they would get the ax once the new GM came in. They usually want to hire there own people.

#39 vonteego3

vonteego3

• Members
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

View PostPMJackson21, on Wednesday, April 16th, 2008, 1:11 PM, said:

Colborn and Tracy were entirely responsible for Zach Duke's 2 bad seasons. Now that they're not messing with his head and windup anymore, he's suddenly looking like a 15 win, 3.50 ERA guy again instead of a guy that didn't belong above A ball as he looked for the past 2.As far as the Morris trade... that move is a perfect representation of the sort of personnel moves this team has been making for years to continue the losing streak. Giving up Rajai Davis didn't mean much, with McLouth and Morgan... but giving 12 million to a #5 starter on a team that isn't willing to spend 50 million on the entire roster? Mind blowing, really.

#40 vonteego3

vonteego3

• Members
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:50 PM

I'm willing to bet that Maholm will at best will have a start skipped, at worst be put on the DL. I'm not watching the game, but I'm willing to bet his back is bothering him again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users