Bay 101 ..hand That Bugged Me

So, my approach to these big tournies is to never get my money in when I don't have to in day 1, pretty much I only bet hard with the nuts or close to it, otherwise I see a lot of flops and keep the pots as small as possible, that's about it. So just some past info so you understand the flow of the table. Level one I pretty much made it 125 (25/50) with any suited card, and most connecting cards, and most broadway hands...so, I was making it 125 very very often :club:, I was checkfolding a lot after raising pre. Level two I started limping more and making it 200 with a wide range. Level 3 (100/200) I minraised twice, I ended up folding at some point in the hand. When the Antes kicked it I had 18k in chips 100/200 25, folds to MP who was a donk and always limp/called and usually massively over played hands, he hated folding, he limps and I make it 600 with QQ from his immediate left (in the HJ), now the button a pro who hadn't gotten out of line at all but was aggro when he played hands made it 1600 it folds to me and I call.The flop is 984r..I check, he bets 2200 pretty fast. Considering I had 18k to start the hand, and its barely the 200 level, What is your play?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty sure we can limit his (villain's) range to AA-QQ.
could be anything from 22-AA and, AK, AQ don;t forget Vilian is watching Hero call and Fold or raise and Fold quite a bit... He could have anything
I look at my cards
Considering that I've opened the pot and called a reraise and am now facing a bet, I would agree that your next move is to look at your cards and see if you have any part of the board.
Considering that I've opened the pot and called a reraise and am now facing a bet, I would agree that your next move is to look at your cards and see if you have any part of the board.
I actually would lead out for 2200 (instead of op's check), and only look at my cards if I have been called or raised.
I actually would lead out for 2200 (instead of op's check), and only look at my cards if I have been called or raised.
I do that in cash games. It's great for your image when you get raised on the flop, after raising preflop and leading out, and then say "ok, time to look at my cards."
I do that in cash games. It's great for your image when you get raised on the flop, after raising preflop and leading out, and then say "ok, time to look at my cards."
QFT
could be anything from 22-AA and, AK, AQ don;t forget Vilian is watching Hero call and Fold or raise and Fold quite a bit... He could have anything
no.
Hero raised from the Hijack, Villain could easily be re-stealing with a lot, not junk excatly, but hands like A9-AJ, KTs+, 99+

lolololsorry guys...coulda sworn I wrote it,..It was the second time I wrote this write after my blog and then went to sleep, wish someone woulda read my blog by chance so u could know what hand I had....Anyway, I had QQ.

I'm gonna check-raise to 7,000 and dump the hand if he doesn't go away. It'll be pretty hard for him to continue if he has JJ or TT since you raised preflop and are now check-raising him here. If you make that raise, it's good becuase it's a pretty standard sized raise, it looks like you might be getting committed to the pot (adding strength to his hand if he does choose to push here) but it does leave you chips left to fold if he comes over the top.The only other good line to take would be to call the flop and lead the turn for like 5K. It puts in basically the same number of chips, but it makes him make a slightly different decision.I don't think you need to go broke with this hand and the most that you should lose is this bet plus another 5K IMO.

I think you C/R to 6k and fold to a shove. If he smooth calls and has you beat you're losing all your chips on the turn.
Yeah, agree with that. I wud maybe raise 7k tho. I would also lead at flop and dump if I get a biggish reraise
I think this range is much too small given that villain A)probably has same read as JC on limper and B)villain realizes that JC is probably just trying to isolate the limper.

I check folded.not much reasoning behind my actions, I just didnt want to commit 1/3 of my stack at the 100/200 level when there was a good chance I was beat. I asked most of my friends (great players) and most of them said they didn't mind the fold at all. However I think this is a hand that can be played a lot of different ways and not be incorrect. I think check calling the flop and leading the turn is bad because a good player will shove on that lead with a lot more hands than if you c/r the flop. So I think C/R to 6k > Check/call/lead.At the same time I think check calling the flop and check folding the turn can also be a safer way to play the hand, and you might get the same info you get by c/r'ing without commiting too much. If he checks behind on the turn then I check/call any river without an A or K...someone mentioned leading the river if he checks the turn, but I think that's bad..you might as well let AK fire big.So Tmay says it wasn't a bad fold, Toilet and Sbrounder say it isn't terrible, and Matusow says "you can't just check fold, I'd c/r to 6k and if he shoves he deserves the pot"...I think this is a tougher spot than it looks in a 10k event with 20k in chips, your main goal day 1 is to survive hopefully with enough chips to play on day 2. Either way day 2 is where the action is at and I try to stay away from risking my chips in spots where I have no clue where I stand on day 1. In hindsight I think I should have c/r'ed to 6k or 5500, but that might be based on a play I saw later that day:gigabet raised 600 dude that I mucked Q's to called from button, guy called from bb, flop 768 check, giga bet 800, button made it 2200, bb made it 5500, giga thought foreverand mucked..obv mucking a set....button instashoves 6k more, bb calls with 95 button shows 98...if this happened before I might play the hand differently but it hadn't so I had no clue, this was also the first time he reraised pre, although not the first time he played back at me.

I think this range is much too small given that villain A)probably has same read as JC on limper and B)villain realizes that JC is probably just trying to isolate the limper.
he made it 1600 though...clearly pricing me in...I add AK to that range, because I've found that some players like to take a cheap lead with AK without commiting too much, considering he hadn't reraised all day I didnt think he had that bad of a hand.