Don't Draw Against A Made Hand

"Don't draw against a made hand"I've heard this expression used. It was used in the movie Rounders when Mike folds his top two pairs cause he knows Teddy has 2 4 for the straight. I have a disagreement on what a "made hand" in this expression means with a friend of mine.Now we all know what a made hand is - any hand that does not need to improve to win. But within the context of this expression can it really mean just that? In that case it would mean you should never draw since you will almost always be drawing to a "made hand" in this sense.My friend says a "made hand" in this expression means top pair. I say it means a 5 card hand.What do you guys think?--Bob.

i'm going to be kind here.a made hand basically means one with showdown value. what has showdown value can vary to a ridiculous degree depending on who/what you are playing. a made hand in heads up no-limit is completely different from a made hand in full ring pot limit omaha. you could both be both right and wrong depending on the context of the game.stop taking poker advice from a 10 year old movie.

stop taking poker advice from a 10 year old movie.
This is correct. You should only take poker advice from movies that are less than 5 years old.I would start here:3035.jpg
i'm going to be kind here.a made hand basically means one with showdown value. what has showdown value can vary to a ridiculous degree depending on who/what you are playing. a made hand in heads up no-limit is completely different from a made hand in full ring pot limit omaha. you could both be both right and wrong depending on the context of the game.stop taking poker advice from a 10 year old movie.
Thanks for the response. I'm not trying to figure out the poker strategy or anything like that. I'm just trying to resolve a dispute I have with my friend. It's silly but he's a bit of an egomaniac and so when he's wrong he needs to know it.I like your answer. It makes sense.
Check.No check here. I tap you.I'm laying this down, Teddy.Top two pair.It's a monster hand, and I'm gonna lay that down...'cause you got two-four, and I'm not gonna draw against a made hand.Lays down a monster.Should have paid me off on that.Why the **** did you lay that down?Wow. Not hungry?Mr. Son of a Bitch.Let's play some cards.
Mike just says he's not going to draw against a made hand, not that one should not draw against made hands as a rule. You might infer the generalization, but he doesn't really state it. He's not going to draw in this specific situation -- 4 outs, whatever pot odds, and a vague threat of violence if he loses the match.
This is correct. You should only take poker advice from movies that are less than 5 years old.I would start here:3035.jpg
I know you posted that as I joke but I still have to say, that film is utter rubbish. To many people watching it could lead to the reverse Rounders effect.
KJo is teh nuts!
Jack King off is the way it is shown...FWIW.
I can't beat KJo or A9. Those are my two nemesis hands.
I won the third live tournament I had ever entered with KJ off. It holds a special place in my heart.Even though I luck boxed through the whole thing and only had a very elementary idea of what the hell I was doing.

a made hand is a hand that currently beats what you have in this specific example. Hence why you would be (or not be) drawing against it. You think a made hand is any five card hand.....Top pair with 4 other cards is technically a five card hand isn't it? Top two pair is a "made hand," but what Mike McD is saying in the movie is that he knows where he is in the hand and doesn't want to draw against Teddy.

I can't beat KJo or A9. Those are my two nemesis hands.
I won the third live tournament I had ever entered with KJ off. It holds a special place in my heart.Even though I luck boxed through the whole thing and only had a very elementary idea of what the hell I was doing.
completely and exactly my point?