answer to quizz question #10

This is a pretty common situation and most of the top tier limit hold'em players would approach this hand the same way. Since you are planning on risking a bet on the turn and a bet on the river, why not put those bets in right now? That way if you improve you will win an extra bet while at the same time protecting your hand from being outdrawn if in fact you do have the best hand. For more on Turn play read an old Card Player column I wrote called, "The Turn." How you approach turn play is the difference between average and great. So the correct answer then, was: Raise the turn and check the river if you don't improve.

Yes, I had TP. Yes, I had the read. Yes, I laid it down. Since the topic of Quizz # 10 is on playing Turn cards. My question to Daniel is more so based on how I played the turn rather then If I should have called or not on the river. Even though a few of you disagree that the mistake was not calling on the river. I think I gave him a chance to out play me on the river by only calling on the turn. Personally, that's where I think I made my mistake...XXXEddie, thanks for the responses.

This is a pretty common situation and most of the top tier limit hold'em players would approach this hand the same way. Since you are planning on risking a bet on the turn and a bet on the river, why not put those bets in right now? That way if you improve you will win an extra bet while at the same time protecting your hand from being outdrawn if in fact you do have the best hand. For more on Turn play read an old Card Player column I wrote called, "The Turn." How you approach turn play is the difference between average and great. So the correct answer then, was: Raise the turn and check the river if you don't improve.
Daniel,i agee with your answer, however, how would youapproach it if you knew your opponent was likely to 3 bet top pair. would this slow you down at all>

Dan,What about 3 betting him on the flop, to perhaps induce him to check the turn to you. Depending on what comes off the deck on the turn, you can check behind him or fire another bullet.If u do bet the turn and are called, it may become evident, based on the read you have on your opponent, that you are indeed behind in the hand. However , because of the strength in which you played the flop and the turn, it is now very likely that you may get a free showdown on the river.I always like to mix it up, and i agree with your answer of raising the turn and thus taking control of the pot. Often times i will smooth call that check raise, planning to pop him on the turn in the hopes of buying myself a free river if I dont improve,as you suggested(also to confuse opponent.) However I find myself in a tough spot if the turn gives me the redraw I am hoping for, and I take it up upstairs when he leads into me, but now he 3 bets me on the turn. So now I have the nut flush draw, and alot invested in the pot already, so folding doesnt seem very plausible. However to call his 3 bet, and than fold to his bet on the river if i miss isnt very much fun either. And leaves me thinking," wtf happened there?,..i should have just flat called the turn and saved 2 big bets..!!"So my Q?: If in your example, you turn a heart, and now have a backdoor flush draw, do you still raise the turn? This opens the door for opponent to now 3 bet the turn, and essentially make you pay for your draw. If you get there, wonderful---your opponent will most likely be talking to himself while you stack a nice pot. However, if you miss you are talking to yourself about why the hell you invested so much in that hand.HR

Starting Hands Everyone knows you should not play every starting hand in Texas Hold’em. Therefore, pick one or two hands that you will not play. I suggest hands that could be tied at the river, such as KQ and QJ. You never want to tie an opponent, since he may then think he is as good as you are. All other hands should be played, since you have an advantage playing hands that others don’t. Any hands with a face card and any pairs should be raised first in, and sometimes raised late if you have a lot of chips, except for AA, KK, QQ and AK. Since these hands almost always win, you want to disguise the fact that you have the absolute nuts and let everyone else chase you to the river--and you will go to the river with these cards in all situations, checking and calling all the way. You should usually call a raise or reraise with any hand, since you are a SuperDuper player and will win more with raised pots. You should reraise a raise with any pair or any connected cards, such as 73, with which you can make a straight. The Flop You will usually have a piece of the flop more often than your opponents, since you play more cards. If you have any piece of it, you should bet or raise and try to get your opponents to pay you off. For example, if you have 72o, and the flop comes AK2, you should always bet or raise a bet to get the most chips in for when you make your trips or full house on the river, which you will do, since you are a SuperDuper player. Another example is when you have 64o and the flop comes QQ3. You have a strong draw to the nut straight and you should bet. If you don’t get anything on the flop, just call, because you will probably get something by the turn or river. If an opponent checks and then raises your bet, this is called a check-raise. Inferior players use this ‘strategy’ when they are trying to pretend they have a good hand. You should punish this egotistical ploy by raising. The Turn The turn is where you want to keep your opponents off guard. Always check or call when you get a great turn card, and always bet or raise if the turn didn’t hit, because obviously the river will and you’ll get more chips. If you think your hand will not win the pot by the river, because you’re having bad luck or don’t have an ace, now is the time to push in as many chips as possible and make your opponents fold. They know you always have the best hand, so this should be relatively easy. The River The river is where most SuperDuper players win a ton of chips, although opponents fold a lot along the way too. Because you play so many hands, your opponent never knows what you have, but he knows you usually have the nuts. Bet, call or check, whatever you feel like now. You usually can’t be beaten. But if there are three or more players still in at the river, try to get into a raising war with one of them, to show everyone else that they can’t bully you around. The Showdown When you show your hand, your opponents may type things into the chat box such as, “Buy a lottery ticket,” or “Nice river, rat.” These are a great compliment to your superior play and you should let them know you appreciate it by replying the SuperDuper System way: “PWNED” Final Conserations If you lost all of your chips, you either did not bring enough chips to play SuperDuper or you lost them to another SuperDuper player and should not be upset. If you double or more than double your chips, leave the table, then come back and watch how upset your opponents are at being up against a SuperDuper player!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I apologize beforehand for digressing off-topic, I know this thread is dedicated to the answer to Quiz #10. However, TorontoMike's post just seemed so...strange, euphemistically speaking, that I have to ask. How in the world do you ever expect that to work?[Edit]: Wtf was I on when I posted this? Man...Chinese herbal tea can really do a number on you...

• 3 weeks later...

Judging by your phrases like "euphemistically speaking", I can tell that you probably aren't a real popularity icon, nor much of a comedian. I mean no offence by that, but I feel I should point out to you and anyone else that reads this thread that the "Super Duper System" is clearly a joke. Also, I don't know if anyone else agrees, but I've seen a lot of worse plays made than those described in the "super duper system" in low limit online games.

Judging by your phrases like "euphemistically speaking", I can tell that you probably aren't a real popularity icon, nor much of a comedian. I mean no offence by that, but I feel I should point out to you and anyone else that reads this thread that the "Super Duper System" is clearly a joke. Also, I don't know if anyone else agrees, but I've seen a lot of worse plays made than those described in the "super duper system" in low limit online games.
"You probably aren't a real popularity icon"Great read!"Nor much of a comedian"Great read again!"I mean no offence by that"Any offense is well deserved.Lol, I guess that being my first post, I came out a bit tighter than I needed to have (lol, kinda like moving into higher limits? :club: ). Not really trying to backpedal here, if you feel like I am a moron, haha, I agree with you. In retrospect, looking at that post, I have to ask, "Wtf was I smoking when I posted that?" It's like I called with a 7 high kicker or something, lol.Play online, I'm sure you'll kill me Wallacer.P.S. Shouldn't the Super Duper System get posted in the general strategy forum, for all to admire, behold, and emulate?