Been playing about four hours. Nothing really happened account of not real good cards or spots to play. Villain is pretty bad. He went busto for 300 earlier and has bought back in for another 300 and slowly draining that. Two hands I saw him involved in. Hand 1. He limped with about 4 others in late position. SB (the tightest guy at the table) moves all in for 70. Villain insta calls with 66's. Hand 2. straddle limped 6 way. flop 9 3 2 with two spades. It goes bet, call, Villain calls with 75 spades, BB (tight guy) shoves for 95, 1 caller and Villain flats. The checked hand down after that. Villain ~$190 (in straddle position) straddles for 6 UTG ~$300 callsHero ~$295 makes it 20 to go with AQccStation ~$140 (basically been calling out of any position for any raise pf all game)5 foldsVillain makes it $80 to go (leaving himself with 110)UTG folds (after thinking about it forever)Hero......? I took a look at him and he screamed "I'm just trying to pick this up" but I didn't think he was folding if I shoved considering how light he had been calling everything else. I was never calling with his stack size since it's so easy for him to just put it in on almost any non A/Q flop. What do ya guys think?

AQ fullring sucks....and his MO seems to be that of a calling station, not a raiser. I disgust fold.I'm going to bet, though, that you shoved and he called with AJ, and you held.
yah i agree. but im kinda torn between this line and raising slightly bigger (imo 20 is a smallish squeeze live you need to jack it up to almost 30 imo) and if we had done that and gotten reraised i would say pot commited and stick it in pre. I mean however you play it, we have some decent equity here so i can't massively fault getting it in pre based on how bad live games i have played in tend to be. fold is prudent. but i think i have a very hard time letting this go, i mean live you can have some god awful terribad players who think a10 off is the nuts pre. given your reads v has some gambol in him and i get it in pre. marginal any way we go imo thou.
Been playing about four hours. Nothing really happened account of not real good cards or spots to play. Villain is pretty bad. He went busto for 300 earlier and has bought back in for another 300 and slowly draining that. Two hands I saw him involved in. Hand 1. He limped with about 4 others in late position. SB (the tightest guy at the table) moves all in for 70. Villain insta calls with 66's. Hand 2. straddle limped 6 way. flop 9 3 2 with two spades. It goes bet, call, Villain calls with 75 spades, BB (tight guy) shoves for 95, 1 caller and Villain flats. The checked hand down after that. Villain ~$190 (in straddle position) straddles for 6 UTG ~$300 callsHero ~$295 makes it 20 to go with AQccStation ~$140 (basically been calling out of any position for any raise pf all game)5 foldsVillain makes it $80 to go (leaving himself with 110)UTG folds (after thinking about it forever)Hero......? I took a look at him and he screamed "I'm just trying to pick this up" but I didn't think he was folding if I shoved considering how light he had been calling everything else. I was never calling with his stack size since it's so easy for him to just put it in on almost any non A/Q flop. What do ya guys think?
If he instacalls an all in with 66, I'm shoving AQ on him when he defends the straddle vs. one player (who's probably tight).

I hate AQ in this position. The guy that folded to the reraise prolly had a small pair, and you're probably flipping in this situation. Don't think you're getting the greatest odds, but hey there's people that instacall this. I would fold, and because of his remark about taking it down (lol), he prolly holds JJ

yah i agree. but im kinda torn between this line and raising slightly bigger (imo 20 is a smallish squeeze live you need to jack it up to almost 30 imo) and if we had done that and gotten reraised i would say pot commited and stick it in pre. I mean however you play it, we have some decent equity here so i can't massively fault getting it in pre based on how bad live games i have played in tend to be. fold is prudent. but i think i have a very hard time letting this go, i mean live you can have some god awful terribad players who think a10 off is the nuts pre. given your reads v has some gambol in him and i get it in pre. marginal any way we go imo thou.
I would have made it 30...and then probably made a disgusted call. Could be anything here really. Hands like JJ-TT make sense. As played I like folding. If I'm in a game with morons I prefer to avoid taking flips and just get max value from my made hands.
I hate AQ in this position. The guy that folded to the reraise prolly had a small pair, and you're probably flipping in this situation. Don't think you're getting the greatest odds, but hey there's people that instacall this. I would fold, and because of his remark about taking it down (lol), he prolly holds JJ
lol. That was meant to say...the way he looked seemed to me like he was just trying to take the pot down......

No doubt a marginal spot. The dude did put a lot of money in with less than reasonable hands but he also showed some speed at times....yet he was only there 2 hours or so and you have to take in effect that we prolly saw 65-70 hands in that time, if that. The game was moving eeeeeextra slow.What do you think this particular villain's range is for this move? Specifically. I want to poker stove it.

No doubt a marginal spot. The dude did put a lot of money in with less than reasonable hands but he also showed some speed at times....yet he was only there 2 hours or so and you have to take in effect that we prolly saw 65-70 hands in that time, if that. The game was moving eeeeeextra slow.What do you think this particular villain's range is for this move? Specifically. I want to poker stove it.
AA-22 AK, AQ, AJI'd weight the range more towards AK and middle pairs JJ through 88I'd expect a fold never... that said I still think calling is the worst option just because you'll make it near impossible to play profitably post flop
AA-22 AK, AQ, AJI'd weight the range more towards AK and middle pairs JJ through 88I'd expect a fold never... that said I still think calling is the worst option just because you'll make it near impossible to play profitably post flop
Like i said in the OP I am calling here 0% of the time. It was definitely a raise/fold situation. I am just wondering how close it is. I let you guys know results in a minute.
I think Ninja's range is probably right. So pre you're ahead of one, maybe two possible holdings other than a complete bluff. Unless you're the worst player at the table and want to try and double up in a race, it's a fold imo.
Here is the equity against that range...--- 179,791,920 games 0.333 secs 539,915,675 games/secBoard: Dead: equity win tie pots won pots tied Hand 0: 46.820% 42.26% 04.56% 75983907 8194264.50 { AcQc }Hand 1: 53.180% 48.62% 04.56% 87419484 8194264.50 { 22+, AJs+, AJo+ }---Something I've always wondered about with pot odds. At the moment of my action there is 130 in the pot. If I move him in here what are my effective pot odds assuming he is calling 100% of the time? Is it the pot (130) plus the rest of his stack (110) divided by what I am putting in to force him in (170)or pot (130) plus his stack (110) plus what I put in to force him in (170) divided by what I put in (170)?seems to me it would be the first one in which case I need like quite a bit of equity to make this call profitable...(like almost 70%)I think. I might have the math all screwed up though.
Here is the equity against that range...--- 179,791,920 games 0.333 secs 539,915,675 games/secBoard: Dead: equity win tie pots won pots tied Hand 0: 46.820% 42.26% 04.56% 75983907 8194264.50 { AcQc }Hand 1: 53.180% 48.62% 04.56% 87419484 8194264.50 { 22+, AJs+, AJo+ }---Something I've always wondered about with pot odds. At the moment of my action there is 130 in the pot. If I move him in here what are my effective pot odds assuming he is calling 100% of the time? Is it the pot (130) plus the rest of his stack (110) divided by what I am putting in to force him in (170)or pot (130) plus his stack (110) plus what I put in to force him in (170) divided by what I put in (170)?seems to me it would be the first one in which case I need like quite a bit of equity to make this call profitable...(like almost 70%)I think. I might have the math all screwed up though.
Yeah, ur math is screwed up. When you're calculating pot odds here you discount the amount he has raised so far. So it's 1 + 3 + 6 + 6 + 20 + 20 = $56 in the pot. The remainder of his stack after your 20 raise is is 170. So you're getting 170 + 56 to your 170. Another way of doing it is figuring that you have 170 to go into a pot that will end up at 396... so divide 170 by 396 and you get roughly .43 or 43% of the pot you have to pay. So pokerstove says we have 3% profitability against this range... but then there's that rake thing.
seems to me it would be the first one in which case I need like quite a bit of equity to make this call profitable...(like almost 70%)I think. I might have the math all screwed up though.
Think about this. What's the break-even percentage if there's no money in the pot before he bets?

I haven't read any responses, but I hate putting in a lot of money preflop unless I have AA/KK. People at 1/2, 1/3 play so bad post flop there is no reason to to get too involved preflop. I just fold and wait for a better spot.

I haven't read any responses, but I hate putting in a lot of money preflop unless I have AA/KK. People at 1/2, 1/3 play so bad post flop there is no reason to to get too involved preflop. I just fold and wait for a better spot.
I didn't read any of it, but lots of action and AQ are not a good combo

Well the reason you got jumped on that was because "waiting for a better spot" is a relic of tournament play and doesn't apply (ideally) to cash. Like if you have an edge in a cash game you should push it, because you're able to rebuy if you happen to lose, whereas in a tournament there are acceptable times to fold and to wait to get your money in "better," because you want to reduce the chances of being eliminated. Lots of posters used to justify folds in cash games because they wanted to wait for a "better spot," when you should be pushing any and all edges you have (again, ideally). Like if you had QQ here, and he flipped up AKo, you should instacall because you're like 55% to scoop the pot. If you lose, you just shrug/rebuy.

Well the reason you got jumped on that was because "waiting for a better spot" is a relic of tournament play and doesn't apply (ideally) to cash. Like if you have an edge in a cash game you should push it, because you're able to rebuy if you happen to lose, whereas in a tournament there are acceptable times to fold and to wait to get your money in "better," because you want to reduce the chances of being eliminated. Lots of posters used to justify folds in cash games because they wanted to wait for a "better spot," when you should be pushing any and all edges you have (again, ideally). Like if you had QQ here, and he flipped up AKo, you should instacall because you're like 55% to scoop the pot. If you lose, you just shrug/rebuy.
I completely understand, but we don't know what we are up against. At the VERY best, we are flipping. Throw in AK, QQ, KK, and AA, and it doesn't justify a call. So it's a fold. I'll try not to use "wait for a better spot"
At the VERY best, we are flipping. Throw in AK, QQ, KK, and AA, and it doesn't justify a call. So it's a fold.
Didn't mean to get on your case, but there's a reason.This is a solid thought out reason and action. That's what we're looking to do on the forums. Figuring out what exact move would have been optimal in the past is irrelevant... what's relevant are the errors in thinking we can correct.