Tj9422 Bankroll Management

First post 11/08/07-------->last update 11/08/07

Bankroll

Bankroll management is one of the most important thing to along life in poker.With out good rules or guidelines you will go bust.

Limit Hold'em bankroll rules

First off I will start with limit. Your bankroll should 300 BB. so let say you are playing .50/$1 limits. The amount in your bankroll should be $300.Now to move in limits you should have 300-400 BB of the limit that you are moving into. As you play downswing will come into your game. To protect your bankroll move down in limits. a good guide line for this is if your bankroll goes down 200 BB for the limit that you are playing.

Tournament guide lines

75 buy-ins is a good bankroll. Say tournaments are $1.10 to get into. Your bankroll should be around $83. You can move up in tournament buy-ins when the bankroll is hits 100 buy-ins of the next levels. so If you are playing in $1.10 tournaments and your Bankroll gets to $175-$220 move up to $2.20 buy-ins .Now if you go below 50 buy-ins drop down and play in cheaper tournaments.

No-Limits

Will post later

Now having a bankroll with good rules/guide lines means nothing if you keep losing it.You know you are in the right limits if you are pulling in around 1 or 2BB/Hr in live games and about 3or4 BB/hr in On-line games. As for tournament play you should be getting double your investment. will add more after..... Good luck for now

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am working on Guide lines/rules for Bankrolls. This is what is working for me. At this time i am in the lower limits. the rules i posted above is what i use. As far as the higher limits i will need to work on them some. for now i would say for your limits (if 250/500) the BR should be $150,000. This is a real safe BR for that level. Along with the other rules you should never go broke.

lolThey've done this before...Using mathematical models, risk of ruin, probability, levels of confidence...I don't understand the point of this.
True Zach But some players don't know how to work a bankroll. I found that my game was a little better when i started to work with a BR.I am not saying this is new but Info that i have found to help me. thought i would share it.
Limit Hold'em bankroll rulesFirst off I will start with limit. Your bankroll should 300 BB. so let say you are playing .50/$1 limits. The amount in your bankroll should be $300. $600
1 x "BB" (big bet) = 2 big blinds.For NL & Pot Limit games, I think 50 buyins is a comfortable level. Playing PLO, at least, there are sessions in which 7-8 buyin downswings are not all that uncommon. Playing with 30 buyins and going through that kind of a stretch, it hurts watching 25-30% of your roll disappear just from one bad session.

here are some general br requirements for casual, winning players:LHE: 300BBSHLHE: 500BBNLHE: 30-50 buyinsLO8: 200BBSHLO8: 300BBPLO8: 20-30 buyinsNLO8: 20-30 buyinsStud Hi: 300BBStud8: 200BBRazz: 400BB2-7 TD: 500BB2-7 TD NL: 50 buyinsSNGS:100 buyins, give or take. this depends a lot on style, though, and your ROI. some players could handle 30 buyins at the lower limits, some need 300 as they move up.tournament play:for standard, 200-ish field NL tournaments: 75-100 buyinsfor limit tournaments in most games: 30 buyins should be ok for the same size fieldsnote: for tournaments, as the fields get larger, you need to increase the roll you have to safely play them. if every tourney you play is a sunday major, for instance, 2-300 buyins is a lot more safe than 100.these can all be higher or lower depending on your winrate, the style you play, and the general style of the game you're playing. for instance, i play extremely aggressively at 2-7 and generally need a 1000BB roll.at various stakes of NL and PL games, you'll need to REALLY up the requirements, possibly even doubling them in some cases, if the games are extremely gambly and you need to shove a lot to get action. if, however, you're beating one of these games largely by making other people fold and they're doing that pretty much across the board, you can even cut these requirements in half in some cases. it's a common misconception that BR management is a one size fits all type deal, and the number monkeys that chug out the math tend to assume that all players play the same and see the same sorts of standard deviations in terms of their session data. simply, that's not entirely incorrect, but as you get better you realize that it's just not a good assumption. i'm gauging the numbers above based on textbook style, ABC poker at the low-ish limits through 2/4 or so that wins somewhere around 1-1.5BB/100 (5bb/100 for nl/pl games). if you play more aggressively, or you don't win at that rate, make them bigger. if you run tables over and never need to show down a hand to win, or you're crushing a game for 5BB/100, make them smaller.hope that helps.

1 x "BB" (big bet) = 2 big blinds.For NL & Pot Limit games, I think 50 buyins is a comfortable level. Playing PLO, at least, there are sessions in which 7-8 buyin downswings are not all that uncommon. Playing with 30 buyins and going through that kind of a stretch, it hurts watching 25-30% of your roll disappear just from one bad session.
.5/1 limit refers to the BIG BLIND being $1....thus $300...
If I'm not mistaken, in .50/1.00 limit, one big bet = 1.00. In .50/1.00 no limit, one big bet = two big blinds = 2.00Limit games, 1 big bet = 1 big blind.No limit games, 1 big bet = 2 big blinds.Am I mistaken?
that's only 150 big bets though - isn't that light? I've seen some of your graphs Zachary... :club:
If I'm not mistaken, in .50/1.00 limit, one big bet = 1.00. In .50/1.00 no limit, one big bet = two big blinds = 2.00Limit games, 1 big bet = 1 big blind.No limit games, 1 big bet = 2 big blinds.Am I mistaken?
Are you guys all high?In a .5/1 game, the blinds are .25/.50. The BB is $ONE DOLLAR.
tournament play:for standard, 200-ish field NL tournaments: 75-100 buyinsfor limit tournaments in most games: 30 buyins should be ok for the same size fieldsnote: for tournaments, as the fields get larger, you need to increase the roll you have to safely play them. if every tourney you play is a sunday major, for instance, 2-300 buyins is a lot more safe than 100.
if i'm playing tournaments where the average field is 2500, but the standard of play is much lower than the majors how many buy-ins would you recommend to be a safe number? Say 5.50 was the highest buy-in tourney i would play on a regular basis, would 550 be sufficient or would you suggest i stick with the 2.75's and 3.30's til i work upto $825(150 buyins @ 5.50s) or $1100(200 buyins @ 5.50s)?I keep detailed spreadsheet etc. and don't play cash at all, I am a bit of a br management nit but I also want to be playing the optimum stakes allow me to move up asap to my level of incompetency where the learning curve is steepest.any thoughts?

There wouldn't be anyone saying nothing but "wow omg thats great advice" if Steve7stud posted this...

i would make fun of steve.pretty sure steve would post something a bit better...it's just a funny "new" topic, cause it's such an old, knwon, talked about thing.but at least he is trying.- Jordan

.5/1 limit refers to the BIG BLIND BET being $1....thus $300...
Your typo here wasn't exactly clarifying things Zach. So maybe not everyone is high. Some, not all...
i would make fun of steve.pretty sure steve would post something a bit better...it's just a funny "new" topic, cause it's such an old, knwon, talked about thing.but at least he is trying.- Jordan
I know this is not really new topic, but I am looking to better my game and just started to learn things that others have know for along time.Many poker book authors(Sklansky, Doyal, Miller,to name a few) have talked about these topics for a long time. I get that. if I post a topic and talk about it should help me get it. ALso i will know if i have the right thought on the topic if not some one will let me know.What do you think....

no worries, all in fun.i forget what is' like to be a noobie, sorry.it's erally basic though. there is a risk of ruin, math crap, w/e...then there is what you are comfy with.i used to only play on a 100 buy-in rule for NL games. I support myself doing this, I liked having 100 buy-ins.then i started realizing that's kinda ridiculous, especially when "jumping" limits is only a 75-50 buy-in shot. The only shot I've ever really taken, taht was just plain stupid was 50/100nl, but that was cause i was "quitting" and wanted to go out with a bang.outside of that, I think managing your roll and emotions are the most imp. thing in being successful.i have more or less, 100 buy-ins for my normal game right now, when I play 5/10 im in like in my middle comfort zone, and if i play 10/20 im still in middle comfort, but my roll is a little more tight there.that being said, i only play 10/20 in good spots, against donks. I'll do the same w 5/10, but my game selection isn't as nitty there. Game selection is another big part of your game. I'd rather play in a game with 25 buyins w/ a large edge, as opposed to playing in a game where i have 75 buy-ins, yet very small edge. IF I lose a few buy-ins at the 25 buy-in limit, i'll simply drop down and rebuild...but you are giving yourself a chance to really have exponential gains.i dont recommend this to most though, and it used to be a big problem of mine..but once i learned how to manage a roll, my emotions (for the most part) and play better poker...this is def. the best way i've found in making consistent money, and then giving yourself a chance to earn big in a riskier investment.all this, of course, changes as it varies from person to person. how much they'er willing to risk, their responsibilities...and what not.but for me personally, to not take "educated" shots in bigger games, is just -EV...- Jordan