The Official Phil Kessel Thread

With the arrival of Phil Kessel to our beloved town and our Maple Leafs, follow this thread for all things Phil Kessel.Kessel will one day be carrying the Stanley Cup as a Maple Leaf.Follow his journey here.some interesting facts of Phil, some you may have known, some not:- He is cousins with Calgary Flames forward David Moss- His sister Amanda was the top scorer for the gold medal winning Team USA at the 2009 IIHF Under 18 World Championship.Phil is the superstar that we have been looking for, and he is the player that will finally break Rick Vaive's team record of 54 goals, which has been around for over 25 years.Welcome Phil, and thank you Burkie for doing this for Leaf fans everywhere.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kessel has some sort of social anxiety disorder. If the Leafs want to get him counselling for that, fine, but if his knees buckle at the site of 300 reporters in a scrum come playoff time, and he back

I have a feeling that if your team had been in the playoffs 22 yrs your media would still be stupid.

With the arrival of Phil Kessel to our beloved town and our Maple Leafs, follow this thread for all things Phil Kessel.Kessel will one day be carrying the Stanley Cup as a Maple Leaf.Follow his journey here.some interesting facts of Phil, some you may have known, some not:- He is cousins with Calgary Flames forward David Moss- His sister Amanda was the top scorer for the gold medal winning Team USA at the 2009 IIHF Under 18 World Championship.Phil is the superstar that we have been looking for, and he is the player that will finally break Rick Vaive's team record of 54 goals, which has been around for over 25 years.Welcome Phil, and thank you Burkie for doing this for Leaf fans everywhere.
How unlike you, serge, to anoint a player as the second coming of god since he got into a leaf uniform..... funny, but I never heard you talk up Kessel before in your rants about the top 5 forwards in the league.... what changed to make him so good? Was it the shoulder injury?
How unlike you, serge, to anoint a player as the second coming of god since he got into a leaf uniform..... funny, but I never heard you talk up Kessel before in your rants about the top 5 forwards in the league.... what changed to make him so good? Was it the shoulder injury?
your media buddies are having problems arent they?? Try to find fault with these moves??Even Berger retracted his stupidity..He is good because he is here...End of story..
He's a one-ball man and he's off to the rodeo...
Yup Gainey should take note....These moves are too high level for him...
Yup Gainey should take note....These moves are too high level for him...
If Gainey had acquired Kessel we'd be reading about how small, injury-prone and overpaid he is.
If Gainey had acquired Kessel we'd be reading about how small, injury-prone and overpaid he is.
true, but in this world of constant change, you gotta love Serge's consistency.I think we all knew this thread was coming! Look forward to seeing the Kessel jersey on Wednesday.
Name one player Gainey acquired that is equivalent to Kessel..He is paying more money to players half as good as twice as old

Ah, the short term memories of leaf fans..... wasnt that the whine for years? 'BOO HOO, Mats Sundin has no one to play with. If he only had one good winger he would lead us to the cup' So, who is passing the puck to Kessel? or is he going to pass it to himself? That's a lot of weight on those injured shoulders...

true, but in this world of constant change, you gotta love Serge's consistency.I think we all knew this thread was coming! Look forward to seeing the Kessel jersey on Wednesday.
Just waiting for confirmation on number..Burke was on the radio today about his dilemma.Apparently he approached Grabo in the off season to lower his number as he doesnt like high numbers, however he told Kessel's agent that he can wear the number 81...He said now he has to go talk to Grabo to make sure he doesnt feel like he is being singled out..I love Phil Kessel..I love Brian Burke..I love the Leafs...This is a very good weekend for us.
Ah, the short term memories of leaf fans..... wasnt that the whine for years? 'BOO HOO, Mats Sundin has no one to play with. If he only had one good winger he would lead us to the cup' So, who is passing the puck to Kessel? or is he going to pass it to himself? That's a lot of weight on those injured shoulders...
I really think this is a possibility, although I have no idea if he would be a Wilson/Burke type......but how about UFA to be Marc Savard?
What did the Leafs give up? I assume it's tons of first round picks etc?
Two first rounders and a second is a small price to pay..
Name one player Gainey acquired that is equivalent to Kessel..He is paying more money to players half as good as twice as old
Mike Cammalleri is a better player than Kessel right now and Cammalleri is in the prime of his career.
I really think this is a possibility, although I have no idea if he would be a Wilson/Burke type......but how about UFA to be Marc Savard?
You will see Kadri with Kessel..Probably not this year, but the year after.The Savard analogy has been overplayed..Check out Kessel's goals, its not like they are all tap ins...
Two first rounders and a second is a small price to pay..
dont use the word small.....you'll get smoked by these guys.Its a big price to pay, but one they deemed necessary.I like the move, even if it comes with risk.

I don't like this trade either. It's so similar to the trades of old, mortgage the future in the hopes of winning now with a mediocre team. Kessell will make the team better now, but this team isn't good enough to compete for several years. I'd much prefer taking my shot at being bad, building a dynasty through the draft rather then continuously looking to get young players from other teams. So they get Kessell now, but they have nothing of interest coming up from the farm. Without a #1 pick for two more years Kessell is going to be stranded on a Leaf team void of high end talent.

I don't like this trade either. It's so similar to the trades of old, mortgage the future in the hopes of winning now with a mediocre team. Kessell will make the team better now, but this team isn't good enough to compete for several years. I'd much prefer taking my shot at being bad, building a dynasty through the draft rather then continuously looking to get young players from other teams. So they get Kessell now, but they have nothing of interest coming up from the farm. Without a #1 pick for two more years Kessell is going to be stranded on a Leaf team void of high end talent.
I dont think getting a 21year old of this calibre shows an attitude of wanting to win now.Like I said, high price to pay, but I dont think getting him for 3 picks means suddenly you cant keep building.
I don't like this trade either. It's so similar to the trades of old, mortgage the future in the hopes of winning now with a mediocre team. Kessell will make the team better now, but this team isn't good enough to compete for several years. I'd much prefer taking my shot at being bad, building a dynasty through the draft rather then continuously looking to get young players from other teams.So they get Kessell now, but they have nothing of interest coming up from the farm. Without a #1 pick for two more years Kessell is going to be stranded on a Leaf team void of high end talent.
Daniel,YOu are way off base, as you havent been following the team closely obviously.What do you think you would get with a first round pick around 10-15(even thats a stretch)...Check in years past the type of player you would get. I prefer Kessel over Stamkos and Tavares right now...I guess guys like BozakKadriStalbergTlustyKuleminHansonStefanovichGustavvsonnSchennJust to name a few...