• Please log in to reply
262325 replies to this topic

#262321 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,071 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:47 PM

COO thinks it's a good idea, haven't asked the CEO yet. I just looked around the firm today, and realized that some pretty hopeless people have MBAs. I don't care about the extra effort or money, just want it to be a worthwhile thing... and in some pretty notable cases, it is not close to being a differentiator. I don't think a single member of management has an MBA, either. It's odd.
QUOTE (Spademan @ Thursday, April 5th, 2012, 2:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.

#262322 Napa_Don

Napa_Don

I'm Your Huckleberry

• Members
  • 8,351 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:34 PM

I mean, if it's just knowledge you're after there's a plethora of free courses from real schools that you could take online. I guess I just assumed your firm would cover the max amount they can write off. I don't know if I'd go out of pocket for one, especially from a not top tier school, for the reasons you mentioned above. Fvck man, I don't know. You've done pretty well for yourself so far, might as well just keep doing things your way.

#262323 hank213

hank213

inventor of the tactical turtleneck..the tactilneck

• Members
  • 9,474 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:39 PM

From the bit of research I did when I was toying with grad school I seem to recall that WHERE can be as important as WHAT when getting an MBA, depending on your personal objective for seeking one. MBAs are fairly ubiquitous nowadays so getting one from a higher ranking or more prestigious school is going to carry more weight in the world at large. Now, if you're going just to check off a box or open some career channels where you're already at, that probably isn't as big of factor in the decision. However, if you're looking at it as a key to get you in the door at larger/prestigious firms that might otherwise be closed off to you then I hope your undergrad GPA and GMAT scores are solid. Probably wouldn't hurt to see about those C-level execs maybe writing letters of recommendation on your behalf for the graduate admissions board.

However, in general, more knowledge and/or more letters behind your name is never a bad thing.
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

#262324 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,071 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:58 PM

Undergrad GPA was trash. I am screwed from that perspective. I am not overly worried about other firms, just focused on fending off external competition and trying to stay in the running for COO.
QUOTE (Spademan @ Thursday, April 5th, 2012, 2:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.

#262325 hank213

hank213

inventor of the tactical turtleneck..the tactilneck

• Members
  • 9,474 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:34 PM

Reading that, and re-reading your previous post I'm inclined to concur with the napalator. Get the knowledge as cheap as possible. Maybe find cheap online outlets that offer things like professional development certificates or CE credits, stuff that's somewhat documented to put on a CV. Maybe look at industry certifications as well. Now, if your firm has tuition reimbursement type stuff then by all means explore an MBA with strategic planning or leadership type focus. Go for the skills that are hard to objectively quantify. It's really easy to discern in the hiring process if someone can analyze a balance sheet or equity performance etc. But, it's much more difficult to get a firm understanding of a person's true leadership or management abilities. Finally, I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before or not, but might I recommend Manager Tools and Career Tools podcasts? My manager is working with me to prepare me for leadership roles and turned me on to them. Tons of really good content for free. Don't worry about paying for a license as that basically just gets you copies of show notes so it's only necessary if you want to read occasionally instead of exclusively listen. Even if you're not currently a people leader, it's great knowledge to have to start off well. https://www.manager-tools.com/
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

#262326 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,593 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:15 PM

I have been on an eclipse vacation, so I'm sorry I didn't get to this sooner, but I agree with Napa completely about the AE's and Essay's trashbag cole hahns. Out here dressing like a lawyer from a 3 AM basic cable tv spot, not someone befitting his rank and station.

Shout out to Moody, Brvy, I used to listen to these christian radio dramas when I was a young believer that were put out by Moody. It's no Wheaton, but what can you do, the world needs ditch diggers, too.

The eclipse was beautiful, I saw it at Carhenge, as god intended celestial events to be viewed. I understand why it would seem dumb, to someone who didn't see the full totality. But I still am struggling to put into words the feeling I had, when I was staring straight up at the sun like that. I've never experienced anything like it, it was incredible.
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 1 anonymous users