I Have To Put My Dog Down

Man....****........FUQ.......... i don't wanna do it by they tell me i have to.i have tears running down my face as i type this.It's like carlin said,..........when you get a dog you're purchasing a small tradgedy.I've had her 14 years.I stole her from an abusive owner.I really REALLY feel like ****.I don't wanna kill my dog.

Man....****........FUQ.......... i don't wanna do it by they tell me i have to.i have tears running down my face as i type this.It's like carlin said,..........when you get a dog you're purchasing a small tradgedy.I've had her 14 years.I stole her from an abusive owner.I really REALLY feel like ****.I don't wanna kill my dog.
Sadly sometimes you have to put down a member of your family. I have a 12 and 14 year old pair of cocker spaniels and they're very close to having to be put down. You have to do what's best for the animal so they don't have to suffer through the end of their life in serious pain. Sucks man, sorry to hear it.

I know the feeling... I had to put mine down last October. I am sorry to hear that! They will not be in pain anymore. I know its an easy thing to say but I have been there and no matter how much it hurts you, you are doing the right thing for them!Keep your head up!J

damn... i wish i could have felt this kind of remorse when i made my ex-girlfriend "put down" our unborn child (biotch wanted to name it alex)...all joking aside, losing a dog really really sucks... sorry bro :club:

Sincerely sorry for your loss.Feel secure in the knowing that you gave her a life to be proud of. Feel happy for that life you gave a friend rather than sadness at the end of it.
Sincerely sorry for your loss.Feel secure in the knowing that you gave her a life to be proud of. Feel happy for that life you gave a friend rather than sadness at the end of it.
Very well said.Had to put my cat down recently and my horse is very old, not looking forward to that moment. It sucks, no way around it. But, major kudos to you for saving the dog from an abusive owner...that's an awesome thing to do as PotOddsRAC said.

Been there too bro....mine was "our first child" and we had him for 13 years. Got to the point where he couldn't stand up, messed himself 2x per day, etc....they don't want to live like that. Our vet came to our house and my wife and kid sat out in the backyard with him while the vet gave him the drugs. He went peacefully in the arms of his mom and tho it was hard on us, it is definately part of the "circle of life". Do it with some ceremony, then feel good about his being pain free....Best to youJ

I've been there too man. I've had to put down a pet before. I almost lost my current dog this past winter in an emergency situation, so the feeling is still fresh in my mind. It's never easy, but like everyone said, think about the happiness you got from your dog and your dog got from you. Nothing lasts forever, so keep the good memories alive.

This is just so sad. My dog turns 13 next week, and has bad arthritis in his legs....and I know this day is coming for me too, probably sooner rather than later. I really feel for your loss, and for having to make this tough decision.

My dog died a month ago in a routine surgery. Its awful to lose a dog. They really do become a part of the family. Sorry for your loss man.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....Author unknown...

I totally empathize. I havent cried in 10 years til the past March, when I had to have my 8 yr old dog put down due to severe arthritis in his hind legs and back. I was emotional for 3 days. I still get teary eyed when I drive past the Petsmart where he was put down. In time it will get better. You made the dog's life great, and he yours. Also, at least he had someone there to love him when he passed, alot of animals (and people for that matter) pass alone with no one there to love them or say goodbye. You all will be together again.Best of luckGod BlessEdPS that Rainbow Bridge poem made me very misty eyed. That is very nice.

That's pretty crappy OP, it's tough losing a pet, it's like losing a best friend. Well wishes for you and your family.

I lost my dog of 11 years on December 19th, 2006. She had cancer; it had been in remission for 3 years. I still spent 3k trying to give her 3 months more of life (was told it would be a high standard of life, just short). I just broke down at the time and split town. She didn't survive the surgery. I celebrate her life everyday.

I totally empathize. I havent cried in 10 years til the past March, when I had to have my 8 yr old dog put down due to severe arthritis in his hind legs and back. I was emotional for 3 days. I still get teary eyed when I drive past the Petsmart where he was put down. In time it will get better. You made the dog's life great, and he yours. Also, at least he had someone there to love him when he passed, alot of animals (and people for that matter) pass alone with no one there to love them or say goodbye. You all will be together again.Best of luckGod BlessEdPS that Rainbow Bridge poem made me very misty eyed. That is very nice.
Yeah, I always dread reading one of these threads because someone will eventually post that and it will break my heart a little more each time. I always try remember to appreciate my fuzzy friends as much as possible. They make a difference in my life - perhaps even more of a difference than what I do for them.

I feel for you OP. I have an old dog (atleast 11 yrs. old) and I know this day is coming. Growing up with horses and having to put down the first horse I raised after 20 years was really tough, and to this day I still get misty-eyed. I am sure your dog had a better life with you than it could have with anybody else. Enjoy and cherish the memories...

So sorry to hear this. I never had any children, but have two dogs I love very much, and I know the toughest day of my life will be when either one of them has to leave me. I don't look forward to that day, but in a way, it's nice that we can save them the pain and suffering of a long, slow, painful illness. I WISH we could do the same for some humans. When I get run down at the end of my life, I know I'd want someone who loves me to put me down and send me off peacefully.

I have never cried as hard in my life as I did when I put my childhood dog down about 7 years ago. I recently lost my grandmother in a car accident and I think I may have cried harder when my dog died, but I was also younger, either way I feel your pain. Best thing is you can say your goodbyes and get closure, unlike if you woke up and the dog had passed away in the middle of the night.