FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,125 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:59 PM

Nice banana.
QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#42 troyomac

troyomac

• Members
  • 11,235 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:08 PM

View PostZach6668, on Thursday, November 12th, 2009, 2:59 PM, said:

Nice banana.
That's what she said.

#43 mase_gotsem

mase_gotsem

forum bad guy

• Members
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

View Posttroyomac, on Thursday, November 12th, 2009, 3:19 PM, said:

Stupid Zach talked me into starting a card collection, so I started with the new 2009/10 upper deck series 1 (which came out today).I went and bought a box, and got a great card with the Dale Howerchuk Game Patch. So I obv went and got another box, which wasn't a great one. I just took a couple (bad) pics of my jersey cards to share.Posted ImagePosted Image
sweet card ironic my brother in law just bought a dale howerchuk jets throwback one of my favorite players.time to go and get my cards out of the basment storage and see what i have i know i got teemu selanee rookie autographed and my all time fav bob essensa also a few guy lafleur's got close to 10k cards all 1999 and erlier,
jeff(support): unfortunetly, confedrate,it looks like thats right. You were waiting to post your blind, and didnt get in. Im very sorry"

#44 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,484 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

After a very very long weekend. The day is finally over. The Sportscard Expo started for me on Thursday evening at 6:30 pm when I left my home. My van was stocked with a ton of hockey cases. I hit the highway and it was seriously packed. I was going to turn back and forget about it but decided not too. I finally got to the International Centre at 7:30 pm. Dropped the stuff off and left.Day 1 was crazy since I had to setup the booth. My son and I were running around like crazy. I thank god that I dropped the stuff off on Thursday evening. We got to the Expo at 10:30 am and got setup right when they open at 1 pm. By then I was beat tired. Day 1 was the best day for sales since I had a regular come in and purchase a ton of wax from me. My son did the Upper Deck redemption and got nothing. A regular customer did get a John Tavares Priority signings 1 out of 25. He asked me about it and I told him that it was the 1st official autograph by Tavares. A dealer then offer him $100 for it. I told him I will get him more for it. I sold it the next day for $175 for him.Day 2 was slow for me but others said it was busy for them. I did okay. The highlight was when we paid $100 for Gordie Howe's auto on a puck. We got added to the puck Mr. Hockey and HOF (forgot the year). Howe kept jabbing my son with his elbows and then before the picture with him, he took his sharpie and scribble on my son's hand. It was funny. Then he said to me, I bet your son skates fast. I said oh no he skates like my wife. The regular customer that got the Tavares then got a Martin Bordeur 1 out of 2. I sold it the next day for $250 for him. I did steal a Tavares rookie from a guy for $50 and sold it in 10 mins for $65 (sold it cheap). The reason for the cheap price (since Tavares fetches around $90) was because he had already brought $200 in cards from me already and that was all he had.Day 3 was busy at the start. Lots of people and the buzz in the air about Mario. When Mario came lots of people were standing around snapping pictures. We had purchased our ticket the day before so we got in a little early. I got an Authentic Penguins Lemieux jersey (not those fake ones) and paid my $300 plus $50 for inscription. He signed it on the black 6 with HOF (I forgot the year). My son actually got to shake his hand and off we went. There must have been over 500 autos for him today. It seriously was crazy. I actually purchase alot of stuff from other vendors this year unlike the last one. I must have spent at least $1,200 on additional stock. I did reach my minimum goal in sales so it was a success I guess. I did come back with addtional stock from all the purchases. I am prepaid for the next one in May (April 30 - May 2).

#45 Zach6668

Zach6668

FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,125 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:36 PM

Mario Lemieux, HOF 1997.
LETS GO PITTSBURGH

#46 Zach6668

Zach6668

FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,125 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

Also, I'm practically building a card store in my office, based on how many packs I've been breaking. Starting to see if I can unload some on eBay, since I also keep buying Penguins cards from there. I need to make some money back, with the hits I don't really care about, lol.
LETS GO PITTSBURGH

#47 bdc30

bdc30

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 9,407 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:20 AM

Some buffoon today wrote an article in the Toronto Star about Mario's appearance on the weekend.

#48 Zach6668

Zach6668

FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,125 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

Here are a few of the cooler pulls I've made since I got back into blowing money on hockey cards:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageAnd, for Serge, even if he left the forum...Posted Image
LETS GO PITTSBURGH

#49 mase_gotsem

mase_gotsem

forum bad guy

• Members
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:47 AM

the sakic/roy and sittler/mcDonald ones are pretty awsome, so these new cards actually have the patch from there jersey imbedded in the card ?? iv never seen these before but thats a pretty awsome idea if so. must def add to the value im assuming ?
jeff(support): unfortunetly, confedrate,it looks like thats right. You were waiting to post your blind, and didnt get in. Im very sorry"

#50 Zach6668

Zach6668

FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,125 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:46 AM

Yeah, the patches are apparently worth a bunch more than just a regular jersey swatch. The friggen card is almost a full centimeter thick too, lol. It's really cool to look at, though.
LETS GO PITTSBURGH

#51 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,939 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:42 AM

View PostZach6668, on Wednesday, November 18th, 2009, 8:46 AM, said:

Yeah, the patches are apparently worth a bunch more than just a regular jersey swatch. The friggen card is almost a full centimeter thick too, lol. It's really cool to look at, though.
Can you tell if a pack is going to contain such a card before you open it? By weight, feel, thickness etc..?

#52 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,267 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:16 AM

View PostDubey, on Wednesday, November 18th, 2009, 12:42 PM, said:

Can you tell if a pack is going to contain such a card before you open it? By weight, feel, thickness etc..?
Usually the packs either contain fewer cards if they have a patch, or there is a 'filler' in every pack that is the same size and weight of the patch cards. When the pack contains a patch card, it is instead of the filler.
Long signatures are really annoying.

#53 Zach6668

Zach6668

FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,125 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:56 AM

Yeah, there's a filler card in most packs. I have stacks of like hundreds of these filler cards on my desk right now.
LETS GO PITTSBURGH

#54 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,484 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:35 AM

BTW, nice patch card Zach. I also really like that Sittler/McDonald combo.I have been in the business for 2 years and have seen my fair share of bad dealings among card dealers. They tend to put in filler cards to make you think you make have a patch card instead. They never put in a filler and patch card together. Now in this years Cup if you get a filler, than you have your case hit (best card out of the case). Now I do not condone patch searching but yes there is a way you can tell if it contains the filler or a real patch card. You can even tell which packs contain the autos. I don't practice these things since it is wrong and we would not be in business anymore. In fact, a kid pulled a Crosby Autograph card out of one of my boxes and nearly died. It caused quite a scene. He sold the card latter for $600.I was also partnered up with a guy at the May 2009 Expo who (without my knowledge) was selling fake patch cards. He would take a ugly patch card and put in a really nice patch and then sell the card for about 3-5 times more than what he brought it for. Needless to say he is now not in the card business.

#55 Zach6668

Zach6668

FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,125 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:39 AM

I have a few questions for you, Mr. Ing.If you're doing the shows and whatnot, where do you get your initial inventory. You're definitely not just busting packs, right? That is generally -EV, right? You won't get your money back from packs almost ever, right?I'm just kinda wondering.I've started selling all the cards on eBay, just to try to finance my pack-opening addiction.How much does it cost to set up a booth at a card show?Can I make a side-living out of this?Can you do my US taxes yet? :DThank you.edit - any non-Penguins cards you see me post are for sale, if anyone is interested.
LETS GO PITTSBURGH

#56 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,484 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:41 AM

PM coming sir.

#57 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,939 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

Card collecting sure has changed since my day and age. I do fondly remember the thrill of opening a fresh pack of cards though.considering what Babying said, I'd be wary of buying any individual packs of cards, if I knew there was a chance they were already "filtered" for the valuable patch cards.

#58 Zach6668

Zach6668

FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,125 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:11 PM

That's part of the reason why I've been buying factory sealed boxes.The ratios of the inserts almost always end up pretty true in an individual box. If it says you'll get 3 memorabilia cards, 99% of the time, that's what you'll get. The only concern with buying boxes is if the seller knows that the case cards (rare inserts at 1 per case) are out already from a given case, but I don't really think that's a serious issue.
LETS GO PITTSBURGH

#59 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,484 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:48 PM

View PostDubey, on Wednesday, November 18th, 2009, 5:41 PM, said:

Card collecting sure has changed since my day and age. I do fondly remember the thrill of opening a fresh pack of cards though.considering what Babying said, I'd be wary of buying any individual packs of cards, if I knew there was a chance they were already "filtered" for the valuable patch cards.
I would only be wary of buying individual packs on Ebay. Even boxes since most (not all) guys find the case hits and sell the rest on Ebay. I personally don't and will never do that. I do sell boxes on Ebay when those cheap guys at the shows don't want to buy them. So to clear stock I do sell boxes occasionally on Ebay. I even had a guy pull a Ovy/Malkin dual auto and a Malkin auto. Needless to say he was pumped.Another place that would never pack search is your local area cardshop. They would be out of business if that ever happened.On a side note, I did purchase an Ovy signed jersey (fake jersey) with COA at the Expo. I certain person has an autographed Ovy stick that would really nice with the jersey!!!!!!!!!

#60 strategy

strategy

Internet expert

• Members
  • 15,932 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:strategy

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (ShakeZuma @ Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011, 4:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
seriously though, with that grammar it's really like, I mean it doesn't bother me as much that she gets beat, you know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users