3164 replies to this topic

#3161 SilentSnow

SilentSnow

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:48 AM

View PostFenxis, on 17 January 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

I would say both Brexit and Trump are highly intertwined. Both movements capitalized on the feeling of being left behind -- for England pretty much everyone not working in London and Manchester and the US everyone not in California and NY (ie the "flyover states"). And both succeeded because of the naivete of the parties supporting the status quo not really taking their opponents seriously; they saw through their opponents lies and assumed that everyone wouldn't give them much credence.

It was the same type of voters and the same anti-elite sentiment. What makes them far different is the EV of the decision.

Brexit has a reasonable chance to make Britain better off. The benefits of globalism and non-skilled immigration are heavily oversold.

Trump is a completely different story. He is an incompetent egotist who is only good at conning people. There is no reasonable chance that Trump voters will be better off for voting for him. Even worse, they won't even get their revenge on the elites since Trump will break all his campaign promises* and heavily favor the wealthy.

*Promise might not be the best word since Trump is by far the most incoherent and contradictory major politician ever. The only constant is his egotism and lies.

"I am a series of electronic pulses in a vast array of networked silicon lifeforms."

#3162 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 23,731 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:36 AM

Wow, it's a good thing you weren't in charge of the anti-Trump movement.

Your insight into the inner thinkings of a person you've never met are amazing.

Add to that you ability to see the future...knowing the results of actions never taken...it's staggering.

Although your belief that being rich means you support other rich people getting richer is slightly flawed when you look at the number of billionaires and Silicon Valley leaders who spoke against Trump...but what am I saying, You know the inner thoughts and motives of people you've never met....of course you know how all rich people think.

One thing I don't understand though; if Trump is lying about everything...then doesn't that mean he's going to actually allow more muslims to immigrate, not build a wall, and keep Obamacare?

Never understand how to know which 'promises' are lies and which ones are ones to hate someone for.

Guess I need to be a liberal to know the future like y'all do.
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

“Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.” ― George Orwell

#3163 mrfritz

mrfritz

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

Presidential pardons are the WORST
This is my first rodeo

#3164 Fenxis

Fenxis

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,681 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

View PostSilentSnow, on 18 January 2017 - 06:48 AM, said:

It was the same type of voters and the same anti-elite sentiment. What makes them far different is the EV of the decision.

Brexit has a reasonable chance to make Britain better off. The benefits of globalism and non-skilled immigration are heavily oversold.

The main economic growth in England is as the financial capital of Europe. While in a micro sense they will be better off given the imbalance of payments into the EU but there's also the reality many of the large banks and insurance companies are already looking to moving large portions of their operations to the mainland as they would be legally required to sell to EU citizens.

Coupled with Scotland probably going to do another independence vote it very well be that "Make United Kingdom Great Again" will fall flat.

Or maybe the whole EU unravels and it's a moot point.
"@sergetoronto Bang-up analysis there" -- James Mirtle

#3165 Fenxis

Fenxis

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,681 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:30 AM

View PostBalloon guy, on 18 January 2017 - 08:36 AM, said:

One thing I don't understand though; if Trump is lying about everything...then doesn't that mean he's going to actually allow more muslims to immigrate, not build a wall, and keep Obamacare?

For a bunch of people that hate politicians for their dishonesty you sure have hitched your cart to a guy who, as a glorified pitchman, who has a history of overhyping and then bully, bully, bully. Who's genesis of fame, other than Dad's money, was the "The Art of the Deal". Which has been denounced by the shadow author as being a work of fiction. For his business dealings I call him a con-man, you probably say a "smart businessman". Funny how small increases in ACA means more money that the government is "stealing from you" but trail of small businesses bankruptcies that Trump leaves in his wake is their own fault.

Trump pathologically lies in that characterizes everything: it's either the greatest or the worst. He has said under oath that he "estimates his wealth on how he is feeling". He said he was going to be no one's puppet because he is going to self-finance his campaign and yet he hardly put anything in (huge amounts of money came from the super-PAC that indirectly owns Briebart).

The worst is not when he is lying but when he's willfully ignorant about issues and just wing-ing it ie (http://www.msnbc.com...them-understood). From the straight up bullying (and not talking about the issues in the GOP primaries) to locker-room talk to the complete amateur hour campaign it's just all high-school esque. They've only proposed ~10% of the positions that require Senate confirmation; as of Jan 20th there will be virtually no Executive Branch. Which normally probably is fine other than his finger is hovering over the "repeal everything" with no backup plan button.

Trump's political views have been all over the map; a couple of years ago he thought Hillary did fine on Benghazi / at State, that immigration reform was needed, etc etc. Then at the start of the GOP primaries he went alt-right on immigration, at the convention he capitulated the social agenda to the evangelicals but picked up anti-trade centrists. And then once he was elected most of the encourage free market stuff was gone. Speaking of Obamacare I looked up his webpage for healthcare reform on archive.org and it changed 400 times; stuff he's adamant about a couple of months ago (like being the first candidate to support not cutting Medicaide to now being ok with removing funding protections).

So yes; if you are a single issue voter and put on blinders you'll likely be happy. But the gymnastics his platform has undertaken (without thinking through the implications) is going to leave a lot of piss off people.
"@sergetoronto Bang-up analysis there" -- James Mirtle

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users