Snowballing...Where Will Poker Take Us

You are all familiar with the snowball effect right. Well, the same principal applies to poker in relation to the limit you play in. I can remember when $20 was a small fortune for me that I had do use for an entire week. In high school, $20 was my luch money for the week, so needless to say I was broke. I mean I never had money! When I got my first real job living out of the house, it was a paycheck to paycheck type of thing. I guess I had about 1,500 in the bank which I was pretty proud of when I got my debit card. Then one day my brother gets this wild hair and decides to build a poker table. One of those if you build it they will come type of deals. Poker!? Like five-card draw right? Wrong.One day he asks me to play to help fill the game of which he took a rake. Now mind you we were playing 3-6 limit holdem....Hold'em?.....WTF is that. Now not even knowing if a straight beat a flush or how to recognize said hands I sit and play and last like 45 mins. and lose 100. Damn, 100......thats alot of mula! I swore never to play such a stupid game again because I was so frugal. The next Friday there I am again and I win 160, and now im like "What a great game!"This was in late Spring of '03. For about 9 months I beat the hell out of my brothers 3-6 game once he taught me this and that and I read some books. Now the poker scene here in San Antonio is pretty healthy and I met alot of people. I started hearing of 5-10-20 games and this funny word Omaha was poping up. Wow, 5-10 that was a huge game in my mind. After awhile I just couldn't beat the 3-6 games I found, I mean I would go through 100 without winning a hand! So i moved up to pot limit, 2-4 blinds you can bring it in for 15. Now I play 10-20 and 15-30 LH and 2-5 PLH and 5-10 and 10-20 Omaha. I actually run a 5-10, with a kill Omaha game out of my living room Mon.-Fri. 12-6. Only 6 months ago I thought you had to be rich to play 10-20 let alone 15-30.Two years ago if someone said I would be going to school and working I would have agreed with them. I didn't think my job would be poker and I would have a backer to put me in games when I was 19. My point here is not to brag because some of you don't think 3,000 is a lot of money....I do. My point is to just tell yall where this wonderful game of poker started with me and where it has taken me to date. Where has poker taken you?

Well I can't sa I'm at the point you are at but poker has definately made me more successful. I started playing maybe a year ago after I saw an episode of the WPT. I first just played for play money, as much as I could, all the time, just because I loved the game. After a few months, I actually thought about coming in for real money, but when you are barely out of high school, money is not always available. I never had my bank account over $300, but now I'm saving up faster than I ever could have working 40 hours a week for minimum wage. Right now, I'm playing $30 Holdem SnG's, as well as any live tournament/NL cash game I can find. My ex-girlfriend lives in Missouri and if it weren't for poker I never would have been able to afford plane tickets and time off of work. Poker definately has made life a lot easier for me and made me reach goals I never would have if I had gone about life the "conventional" way. Im finishing up my bachelors degree now but I don't know if I'm ever really gonna use it. The point of life is to be happy, and being successful is usually a big part of that. Almost got that new car I've been saving up for, too. Shuffle up and deal, B1tches!!!

Poker took my life over....Listen to this one.I started playing hold em weekly with my friends and had very good success. Shorly after that, i met a friend that played in private poker rooms...5-10, 2-5NL and, tourneys and so on.. I figured....Hell, lets give it a shot, its only money. I started off losing...but it didnt take long to get good. My bank roll was down to $100 when i won my first tourney for $2200. Started playing for at least 8 hours a day....I took the $2000 strait to the 5-10 Pot limit game i had been dying to play in....two weeks later i had it up to $10,000. I had been playing poker for 9 months....When i found out one of the poker rooms i played in was going to be sold. SOOOO, i took my $15,000 bank roll, used it as a down payment and financed the rest. I turned 20 years old a month ago....I make $1000 a DAy, tax free....running 2 or 3 raked games a night. Cops are paid off, nothing to worry about.Somebody beat that story...see you in vegas when in a year....

Hey MountemerssI don't think anyone could top that story and you are living my dream of owning a cardroom, but the illegal part is a little scary. I hope you don't end up sharing a room with Matasow.Jon

If you are playing fulltime 10-20 and 15-30 on a 3k bankroll, to answer your question  "Where will poker take us"-  probably the welfare office.
most poker pros suggest that you have anywhere from 200-400X the BB in your game to handle the swings.

JustinHEMI04, Your games must be absolutely HUGE to get donations like that. We run 4-8 and 2-5 No limit every night, and 5-10 No limit once a week. Standard vegas rake on all of our games. I only get 30% of each game, as dealers and the game runners get the rest. And yah, it is a dream other than that i work like 15 hours or more every day. But, In a year the place should run itself....so i can move to vegas and have fun. On a side note....Does anybody live in a state (with potential), where there are very few card rooms or home games.Thanks,ADAM

18 years old.... sitting on 1200 at the NL table at the borgata. catching the cards of a lifetime. and it all started from that 2 free bucks on paradise.... wow

JustinHEMI04, Your games must be absolutely HUGE to get donations like that.  We run 4-8 and 2-5 No limit every night, and 5-10 No limit  once a week.  Standard vegas rake on all of our games.  I only get 30% of each game, as dealers and the game runners get the rest.  And yah, it is a dream other than that i work like 15 hours or more every day.  But, In a year the place should run itself....so i can move to vegas and have fun.  On a side note....Does anybody live in a state (with potential), where there are very few card rooms or home games.Thanks,ADAM
You have a PMJustin