Settling An Argument With A Friend...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FCP)Button ($89.05)Hero ($20.05)BB ($100)UTG ($302)UTG+1 ($98.50)MP1 ($54.30)MP2 ($48.15)MP3 ($86.95)CO ($98)Preflop: Hero is on the SB with A :) , 6 :D. Button Calls $1, Hero calls $0.50, BB checks.Flop: ($2.75) 2 :) , T :club: , 6 :D(9 players)Hero bets $1, BB calls $1, calls $1.Turn: ($5.75) 6 :)(9 players)Hero checks, BB checks, Button checks.River: ($5.75) Q :D(9 players)Hero??Comments on all streets welcome.What should hero do here? If he should bet, how much? If he should check, why? Which move is more +EV and why is it +EV?Note: I am not Hero or in this hand.

The turn check is fancy play syndrome.

got time on my hands.not much of a nl cash player.I think it would have been better to post this and cut action off after your turn check.But, a lot of hands that will bet for you now on the turn would have raised the flop, imo. So, you just lose value from weak T's or gut shots or overcards, or pp's.I find people get so excited by getting a river bet called because they suckered the other guy into calling; however, the total amount won is so often less than what betting out each street would have added up to.

But, a lot of hands that will bet for you now on the turn would have raised the flop, imo. So, you just lose value from weak T's or gut shots or overcards, or pp's.I find people get so excited by getting a river bet called because they suckered the other guy into calling; however, the total amount won is so often less than what betting out each street would have added up to.
Guilty!
got time on my hands.not much of a nl cash player.I think it would have been better to post this and cut action off after your turn check.But, a lot of hands that will bet for you now on the turn would have raised the flop, imo. So, you just lose value from weak T's or gut shots or overcards, or pp's.I find people get so excited by getting a river bet called because they suckered the other guy into calling; however, the total amount won is so often less than what betting out each street would have added up to.
This is one of those little concepts that I find incredibly helpful. Id never really thought about that.

If you lead out on the turn as well, nobody is putting you on a 6. They probably think you still have top pair, so hopefully you will still get called by weaker hands than yours. Then bet the river and collect your small fortune. :club:

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm not surprised that the overwhelming response of FCPers was in support of a position that I share. Now I think I can articulate a little better why not betting (on turn or river) is -EV. For me, it's instinctively obvious that you need to keep betting all the way.For some reason, my friend likes tight-passive-trappy play when he plays cash games. It hasn't been and I don't think it ever can be a profitable strategy.