Anyone got any predictions about what will go down tonight? I know it is suppose to mostly be a foreign policy debate but they will definitely be talking about the economic crisis and the bail out bill.Who's gonna "win"?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said that I expect McCain to try and go "Maverick" tonight and turn this thing into a fist-fight. McCain will refuse to stick to the topics of Foreign Policy and National Security. He will try and control the entire debate and turn up the heat. Perhaps even get VERY offensive against Obama. I think that this will give some ammunition to his opponenets who want to cast him as a hot-head.

My prediction is that it's going to be only mildly about foreign policy. It'll be nearly impossible for them to stay focused on that issue with what is going on with the economy right now. Nearly every answer by both candidates will be about ten seconds about foreign affairs and then will follow with, "But as to the economy, I believe that blah blah blah and my opponent blah blah blah..."I guess this slightly hurts McCain since he's generally seen as stronger on foreign policy and Obama as stronger on the economy.But in general, I think it's going to be really interesting. I would expect to be surprised.

I've said that I expect McCain to try and go "Maverick" tonight and turn this thing into a fist-fight. McCain will refuse to stick to the topics of Foreign Policy and National Security. He will try and control the entire debate and turn up the heat. Perhaps even get VERY offensive against Obama. I think that this will give some ammunition to his opponenets who want to cast him as a hot-head.
This is probably true. They have very different styles of debating. I really don't know which one is going to work better in contrast to the other. Like I said, I'm very curious and excited.

Many people assume Obama will go for the head because McCain can't lift his arms up enough to defend that area, I for one think he is going to go for more body blows, mixed in with some jabs, he may even fight southpaw. McCain will be relegated to left and right hooks.

Many people assume Obama will go for the head because McCain can't lift his arms up enough to defend that area, I for one think he is going to go for more body blows, mixed in with some jabs, he may even fight southpaw. McCain will be relegated to left and right hooks.
KICK HIM IN THE NUTS!!!!!

I really think BHO will be coming loaded to shoot at at Foreign Policy he has been practicing to shoot at that target - McCain is going to try and move that target. I think it will be too obvious as a ploy to knock BHO off balance.I am really looking forward to the VP Debate next week too.

I actually think McCain is a better debater. Having said that I think Obama is set up nicely here to combine the war in Iraq with the current economic crisis by connecting the two. By simply repeating the amount of money that's been spent in Iraq and how that money could have been used to help prevent this crisis. He could talk about how the war in Iraq is a distraction from both Afghanistan as well as the economic crisis. How his plan for a timetable is necessary, how troops need to be deployed to Afghanistan and taken from Iraq. How we need to worry about the people at home are losing jobs and are more worried about how they are going to pay the rent than they are about the Iraq "threat." McCain's main focus should be obvious: the surge. That's the one sticking point where he gains ground with voters since it seems to have made an impact by lowering the amount of violence and the number of American deaths per month. He should point out how Obama was against it, and has never been willing to make a clear statement saying that the surge has worked. I just don't see this debate being about foreign policy all that much. It would just be weird in light of what's going on now on Wall St. McCain really needs to be on his game tonight because with the economy being issue #1 American voters don't have any confidence in his party, or him to be able to do what's necessary to fix it. If he's able to come up with a plan that sounds reasonable to the voters that could help him a lot. Either way, I think this debate will have an impact on the polls. Either Obama strengthens his lead with a good showing, or McCain flips the momentum again by out debating Obama. Should be awesome TV.

from the agitatorAt least an hour before John McCain announced he’d even be attending tonight’s debate, his campaign had already bought ads declaring he won it.

“McCain Wins Debate!” declares the ad which features a headshot of a smiling McCain with an American flag background. Another ad spotted by our eagle-eyed observer featured a quote from McCain campaign manager Rick Davis declaring: “McCain won the debate– hands down.”
Here’s a screenshot.http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/polit..._Friday_WSJ.JPG
I actually think McCain is a better debater. Having said that I think Obama is set up nicely here to combine the war in Iraq with the current economic crisis by connecting the two. By simply repeating the amount of money that's been spent in Iraq and how that money could have been used to help prevent this crisis. He could talk about how the war in Iraq is a distraction from both Afghanistan as well as the economic crisis. How his plan for a timetable is necessary, how troops need to be deployed to Afghanistan and taken from Iraq. How we need to worry about the people at home are losing jobs and are more worried about how they are going to pay the rent than they are about the Iraq "threat." McCain's main focus should be obvious: the surge. That's the one sticking point where he gains ground with voters since it seems to have made an impact by lowering the amount of violence and the number of American deaths per month. He should point out how Obama was against it, and has never been willing to make a clear statement saying that the surge has worked. I just don't see this debate being about foreign policy all that much. It would just be weird in light of what's going on now on Wall St. McCain really needs to be on his game tonight because with the economy being issue #1 American voters don't have any confidence in his party, or him to be able to do what's necessary to fix it. If he's able to come up with a plan that sounds reasonable to the voters that could help him a lot. Either way, I think this debate will have an impact on the polls. Either Obama strengthens his lead with a good showing, or McCain flips the momentum again by out debating Obama. Should be awesome TV.
Not having the war would have stopped banks from over leveraging themselve on bad investments? There is absolutely zero connection. I pray to god he tries to go in that direction,that would be a gift straight from heaven. McCains talking point will be his willingness and even INSISTENCE on leading this country. Can you guess why?
Not having the war would have stopped banks from over leveraging themselve on bad investments? There is absolutely zero connection. I pray to god he tries to go in that direction,that would be a gift straight from heaven. McCains talking point will be his willingness and even INSISTENCE on leading this country. Can you guess why?
Lol, you might not believe it LMD but even I can see where Daniel is coming from on both sides. In fact those are probably the main talking points from both campaigns. And yes sometimes you really do prove the point made in Jeepster's post about being blindly for a position no matter what. I've never see you yet admit that the other side might have a point. NEVER. And you can't say that about Daniel or me either for that matter. Lol, but LMD always has to be right. Hmmmm are you sure you're not Phil Helmuth in disguise?

Money saved in Iraq could have saved the U.S. government from borrowing as much as they have. Resources and attention given to a bogus war in Iraq could have been directed towards the economy as well as clean energy sources. Money saved in Iraq could have been used to help cover the cost of this bailout.

Money saved in Iraq could have saved the U.S. government from borrowing as much as they have. Resources and attention given to a bogus war in Iraq could have been directed towards the economy as well as clean energy sources. Money saved in Iraq could have been used to help cover the cost of this bailout.
I think there is some truth to this. Cost of iraq war is approaching $600 billion, not too far from what we need to bail out the economy....