He has a point that parents should be held accountable for their children's diet. What I think he forgets is people are in different financial situations. Not everyone can afford to to eat healthy.Consider the single parent living check to check - sometimes they best they can afford for the day is a couple Double Cheeseburgers from McD's to feed their kid(s). Not everyone makes a decent enough amount of money or have the time to prepare healthy meals for their family on a consistent basis. Of course if they are in a decent enough financial situation and have the budget then it comes down to laziness. Just something to consider Daniel. Lower income households generally do not have the luxury of paying for healthy meals on a consistent basis. I guess stats on income ranges & obesity would provide clarity on the matter.If you were single, check-to-check parent which is worse option: Providing a cheap, fattening meal but feeding your children on a given day, or letting them go without a meal because they won't be getting their broccoli?FWIW, I'm 23, 5,10" & 205 myself. Single w/ no kids :club:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Healthy food isn't expensive though. Ordering take outs for your three kids 5 days a week is going to cost you a lot more that buying fresh food from your local grocery or supermarket. I understand that a lot of parents have a very full schedule and aren't the greatest cooks, but feeding a young child takeaways on a regular basis is just totally unacceptable imo. Obesity starts in the home and your child's diet at an early age is just sooo important, watching parents buy McDonald's large for their 5 year old makes me sick. As a parent it should be your responsibility to make sure your kid is eating well, there's not many excuses for not doing so.

When my kids were young and also when I was young, going to McDonald's was an event. We just didn't go. We didn't have much money and the grocery money I had, I found stretched farther by using fresh foods as opposed to fast foods. If you shop only in the outer aisle of most supermarkets, you will eat healthy. It's when you get into processed foods that the price of your meals go up and also the quality goes down.

I had a Nazerene pastor for a neighbor and he used to feed his whole family of 4 on like $50 a week to show his flock that it could be done.He explained it to me once and I was greatly impressed.And did you know that China has more obese people than America has people?

I do agree that trying to eat uber healthy organic food from Whole Foods on a regular basis is completely out of the price range of low income households. I do also believe, though, that as some have pointed out, grocery shopping is cheaper than KFC, Taco Bell, and McDonald's. The problem is much bigger in America than anywhere else and a lot of that is related to the cultural differences. There are loads of poor people in other parts of the world, but they don't share the same obesity issues as you see in America I don't think. The government and school system could actually do A LOT to help change the fast food culture in America. Get soda machines out of the schools, switch to healthier food options in the cafeterias in schools. In the doc Super Size Me they actually showed how it is done in some schools with fresh, healthier food choices. Not only were the kids healthier, but they also did better in school.

Its an interesting debate. I mean, if starving your kid is a crime, shouldn't stuffing their faces with crap be as well? Economics is a definite factor. The speed and convenience of fast food is one thing, but so is the price. Its cheap AND fast. Healthy food may be less expensive, but the biggest problem to me is accessibility. How many grocery stores are there in low income neighborhoods? Not many. But how many fast food places? Several. Its an interesting debate, but the bottom line is parents need to take responsibility. That's easier said than done for some parents though, especially in low income neighborhoods where one parent usually isn't taking responsibility for the kid itself, let alone its diet.

Its an interesting debate. I mean, if starving your kid is a crime, shouldn't stuffing their faces with crap be as well? Economics is a definite factor. The speed and convenience of fast food is one thing, but so is the price. Its cheap AND fast. Healthy food may be less expensive, but the biggest problem to me is accessibility. How many grocery stores are there in low income neighborhoods? Not many. But how many fast food places? Several. Its an interesting debate, but the bottom line is parents need to take responsibility. That's easier said than done for some parents though, especially in low income neighborhoods where one parent usually isn't taking responsibility for the kid itself, let alone its diet.
Parents have to at least try. They can't just give up and say screw it. At least some kind of healthy food. I have trouble respecting parents with obese kids that do nothing to get healthy themselves while at the same time allowing their children to do whatever they please. I know of a couple parents who are morbidly obese and seeing their kids brings a tear to my eyes. I have no respect for them, in fact, I don't even speak to them and this is one of the key reasons. It disgusts me. You wanna kill yourself, fine, but when you have kids, it's not about YOU anymore it's about those kids!!!

ANYTHING else is better than fast food.edit: my niece shoves McDonalds and crap like that at her kids all the time, but It's mostly because she is too lazy to cook. I think this is the reason more than not for the fast food.

Parents have to at least try. They can't just give up and say screw it. At least some kind of healthy food. I have trouble respecting parents with obese kids that do nothing to get healthy themselves while at the same time allowing their children to do whatever they please. I know of a couple parents who are morbidly obese and seeing their kids brings a tear to my eyes. I have no respect for them, in fact, I don't even speak to them and this is one of the key reasons. It disgusts me. You wanna kill yourself, fine, but when you have kids, it's not about YOU anymore it's about those kids!!!
We went thru a similar thing before with our family (i.e. took the tough love approach, on several issues not just food) but that only resulted in us being more alienated and further away from them. That was very painful, for everyone. Not a good result.So we embraced the issue instead, and now when we have our nieces kids up (like for the weekend and what not or when we take them on trips) we make sure they eat good. Their other uncle is great too about cooking and making great stuff, and those kids now LOVE vegatables and lots of other good/healthy foods. Maybe not totally organic stuff, but much much better than fast food.Getting the kids in your hands and then getting them addicted to good food will only make them want it when they are back at home. They will eat anything obviously but now they know they love the other GOOD food and bug their mom to get some for them when they are home.And we get to hang with them and see them grow up. Even our Neice has started to eat better lately, although the fast food is very much still alive and well down there. But at least now a part of their diet is good, and if that's all we can get then we'll take it.
He has a point that parents should be held accountable for their children's diet. What I think he forgets is people are in different financial situations. Not everyone can afford to to eat healthy.Consider the single parent living check to check - sometimes they best they can afford for the day is a couple Double Cheeseburgers from McD's to feed their kid(s). Not everyone makes a decent enough amount of money or have the time to prepare healthy meals for their family on a consistent basis. Of course if they are in a decent enough financial situation and have the budget then it comes down to laziness. Just something to consider Daniel. Lower income households generally do not have the luxury of paying for healthy meals on a consistent basis. I guess stats on income ranges & obesity would provide clarity on the matter.If you were single, check-to-check parent which is worse option: Providing a cheap, fattening meal but feeding your children on a given day, or letting them go without a meal because they won't be getting their broccoli?FWIW, I'm 23, 5,10" & 205 myself. Single w/ no kids :club:
It's okay, it's your parents fault

One thing that also needs to be incorperated is exercise in school programs. When I went to school gym was manitory but now it been made a option. To eat healthy is one thing but you also need to exercise. Not just sit at your computers or playing your wii games etc. Regular daily exercise. For me food was a comfort to stress, but also a medical issue because I had a inbalance in chemicals that also cause me to eat more. I tried all kinds of diets and they failed. Finally with the right doctors they found out the issues and now the weight is coming off. The parents do have to teach the children to eat healthy from the start and tell them why. I do agree with Daniel remove the pop machines from schools or change it to water. Take snack machines out or put in healthy snacks like cheese, yogurt, fruit, nuts. Go for walks with the kids. There are choices out there you just have to make the right ones.

It's okay, it's your parents fault
I maintained a healthy weight through-out high school (180 senior year, with a max bench of 225). A good metabolism & healthy meals at home contributed to this.Also, I think obesity is classified as being 30 lbs over the target body weight for a certain age/height group.The biggest problem is the concept of what is the accepted weight for a person. Some people with lower metabolisms & bigger body types can not expect to meet the average body weight. My dad was like this... he could never lose the small layer of fat around his mid section, so he eventually gave up working out/eating healthy. They should tweak the system a little bit to account for people like this.

It's pretty simple. Parents that don't care enough about their own lives most likely don't care what they put into their bodies or what they put into their kid's bodies. I teach at a school that is considered upper class. There are literally like 10 kids in our school who could be considered obese. Drive five miles down the road to a school that is considered lower-middle class and there is maybe 20-30% of kids that could be considered obese. That being said, my point is I believe it has little to do with economics. It has to do with people who work hard and are educated understand the implications of being overweight. They also understand a box of $.99 pasta goes a lot further than a double cheeseburger at McDonald's. Bottom line I think the main factors of obesity are laziness and a complete disregard for your own well being; physically, emotionally, and mentally. LMD is right, they should have the choice to eat whatever they want. We should also have the choice to group them together for health coverage instead of putting them in gen pop and selling it as AAA health care and making everyone else pay for their medical issues. Haven't we had this discussion before? I'm feeling de ja vu.

The problem with a lot of parents is they (to a certain extent) view being obese as normal. They see themselves and their eating habits as normal, so they don't necessarily realize how obese their kid is becoming. Laziness, (perceived) convenience and (perceived) cost benefits are factors, but perception of obesity what I think drives most parents to feed their kids crappy food.

I do agree that trying to eat uber healthy organic food from Whole Foods on a regular basis is completely out of the price range of low income households. I do also believe, though, that as some have pointed out, grocery shopping is cheaper than KFC, Taco Bell, and McDonald's. The problem is much bigger in America than anywhere else and a lot of that is related to the cultural differences. There are loads of poor people in other parts of the world, but they don't share the same obesity issues as you see in America I don't think. The government and school system could actually do A LOT to help change the fast food culture in America. Get soda machines out of the schools, switch to healthier food options in the cafeterias in schools. In the doc Super Size Me they actually showed how it is done in some schools with fresh, healthier food choices. Not only were the kids healthier, but they also did better in school.
Last year a British celebrity Chef started a crusade to get more healthy food in school cafeterias. He succeed, but instead of eating healthy food we just had a mass exodus of students eating in school.

Jamie Oliver is one of the pioneers of ridding elementary schools of junk food. Heres a snip from wikipedia on his 4 part documentaryJamie's School Dinners (2005) was a four part documentary series. Oliver took responsibility for running the kitchen meals in Kidbrooke School, Greenwich, for a year. Disgusted by the unhealthy fare being served to schoolchildren and the lack of healthy alternatives on offer, Oliver began a campaign to improve the standard of Britain’s school meals. Public awareness was raised, and, subsequent to Oliver's efforts, the UK Government pledged to spend £280m on school dinners (spread over three years). Tony Blair himself acknowledged that this was a result of Oliver's campaign. Following the success of the campaign, Oliver was named "Most Inspiring Political Figure of 2005" in the Channel 4 Political Awards 2006. During the school dinners programme, Oliver's Fifteen London was visited by Bill Clinton. Clinton asked to see Oliver; however, Oliver refused, as Clinton's party had asked for other diners to be removed to make room for their larger-than-agreed-upon group. In episode 2 of Jamie's School Dinners, Clinton's party had 36 show up for a booking of 16 and many of them were on a South Beach Diet and did not want the special menu that had been prepared, even though the menu had been approved in advance

Who ****ing cares. Have you ever seen the sort of "children" this impacts most? It's just Darwin offsetting irresponsible breeding by the people who are least qualified to add to the gene pool. Anecdote: So, I was shopping at Aldi last week, standing in line behind two totally disgusting, grossly fat Caucasian welfare cases (when the clerk asked how they wanted to pay, one actually bleated "FOOD STAMP" (singular) in the same tonally un-modulated way a bonafide retard might say it, as spittle flew from her toothless mouth and into the clerks horrified face... She then said "DAR-EEE" ("sorry" , I suppose it was meant to be) and handed over her EBT card, so you and I could pay to keep her in Cheetoes and generic Cola. With her was another woman who was definitely from a 'similar stock'- five feet in every direction, stained t shirt, scurrying mulatto children in leaking diapers, totally unable to speak a clear word of the Kings English... Anyway, I see these people and am totally disgusted that we no longer have state hospitals to lock their unfit asses away and shock them with high voltage on an hourly basis. Some see folks like this and feel pangs of liberal'esque 'guilt' or 'sympathy' or whatever emotional menses such people try to hold us all liable to and believe that society ought to contort around them to save them from themselves, or to preserve the well-being of their ever-so-sacred "children". **** that. All I know is that if we as a society are too soft to round up mentally defective rodents like this and send them to the ****ing ovens, then we ought to encourage whatever means might assist in their own shortened lives. If we have to do it with fast food and crappy diets, so be it.

My kid is approaching 4, and I can count on one hand the number on meals he has had from a fast food place. The funny thing is, he never even eats them. Except for some fries, he would rather have broccoli and chicken.It's what they get used to. Also, every single time he had fast food was 100% out of convenience because we were on a road trip or spent much longer than anticipated away from home and were out of snacks that we brought.

Who ****ing cares. Have you ever seen the sort of "children" this impacts most? It's just Darwin offsetting irresponsible breeding by the people who are least qualified to add to the gene pool. Anecdote: So, I was shopping at Aldi last week, standing in line behind two totally disgusting, grossly fat Caucasian welfare cases (when the clerk asked how they wanted to pay, one actually bleated "FOOD STAMP" (singular) in the same tonally un-modulated way a bonafide retard might say it, as spittle flew from her toothless mouth and into the clerks horrified face... She then said "DAR-EEE" ("sorry" , I suppose it was meant to be) and handed over her EBT card, so you and I could pay to keep her in Cheetoes and generic Cola. With her was another woman who was definitely from a 'similar stock'- five feet in every direction, stained t shirt, scurrying mulatto children in leaking diapers, totally unable to speak a clear word of the Kings English... Anyway, I see these people and am totally disgusted that we no longer have state hospitals to lock them away in and shock them on an hourly basis. Some see folks like this and feel pangs of liberal'esque 'guilt' or 'sympathy' or whatever emotional menses such people try to hold us all liable to...All I know is that if we as a society are too soft to round up mentally defective rodents like this and send them to the ****ing ovens, then we ought to encourage whatever means might assist in their own shortened lives. If we have to do it with fast food and crappy diets, so be it.
Uhhhh...yeah. I probably wouldn't have been this harsh, but yeah. Above all else the choice is ones own to make or don't make, and the results be what they be.
Who ****ing cares. Have you ever seen the sort of "children" this impacts most? It's just Darwin offsetting irresponsible breeding by the people who are least qualified to add to the gene pool. Anecdote: So, I was shopping at Aldi last week, standing in line behind two totally disgusting, grossly fat Caucasian welfare cases (when the clerk asked how they wanted to pay, one actually bleated "FOOD STAMP" (singular) in the same tonally un-modulated way a bonafide retard might say it, as spittle flew from her toothless mouth and into the clerks horrified face... She then said "DAR-EEE" ("sorry" , I suppose it was meant to be) and handed over her EBT card, so you and I could pay to keep her in Cheetoes and generic Cola. With her was another woman who was definitely from a 'similar stock'- five feet in every direction, stained t shirt, scurrying mulatto children in leaking diapers, totally unable to speak a clear word of the Kings English... Anyway, I see these people and am totally disgusted that we no longer have state hospitals to lock their unfit asses away and shock them with high voltage on an hourly basis. Some see folks like this and feel pangs of liberal'esque 'guilt' or 'sympathy' or whatever emotional menses such people try to hold us all liable to...All I know is that if we as a society are too soft to round up mentally defective rodents like this and send them to the ****ing ovens, then we ought to encourage whatever means might assist in their own shortened lives. If we have to do it with fast food and crappy diets, so be it.
The sort of children this impacts most? They're children, the whole point of this is that they can't chose the right food for themselves.
Who ****ing cares. Have you ever seen the sort of "children" this impacts most? It's just Darwin offsetting irresponsible breeding by the people who are least qualified to add to the gene pool. Anecdote: So, I was shopping at Aldi last week, standing in line behind two totally disgusting, grossly fat Caucasian welfare cases (when the clerk asked how they wanted to pay, one actually bleated "FOOD STAMP" (singular) in the same tonally un-modulated way a bonafide retard might say it, as spittle flew from her toothless mouth and into the clerks horrified face... She then said "DAR-EEE" ("sorry" , I suppose it was meant to be) and handed over her EBT card, so you and I could pay to keep her in Cheetoes and generic Cola. With her was another woman who was definitely from a 'similar stock'- five feet in every direction, stained t shirt, scurrying mulatto children in leaking diapers, totally unable to speak a clear word of the Kings English... Anyway, I see these people and am totally disgusted that we no longer have state hospitals to lock their unfit asses away and shock them with high voltage on an hourly basis. Some see folks like this and feel pangs of liberal'esque 'guilt' or 'sympathy' or whatever emotional menses such people try to hold us all liable to and believe that society ought to contort around them to save them from themselves, or to preserve the well-being of their ever-so-sacred "children". **** that. All I know is that if we as a society are too soft to round up mentally defective rodents like this and send them to the ****ing ovens, then we ought to encourage whatever means might assist in their own shortened lives. If we have to do it with fast food and crappy diets, so be it.
Your anecdote is nonsensical. So because some people might be unfit parents, the children should have to pay the price for that by being obese? A better anecdote would be "So i bought a dog and beat the hell out of it, but its the dogs fault because it was barking"If adults want to stuff their faces, or in your case.. assist in shortening their lives.. fine. but we're talking about innocent kids
The sort of children this impacts most? They're children, the whole point of this is that they can't chose the right food for themselves.
The whole point is that the sort of "children" who are most impacted by this sort of thing are usually the genetic continuance of the sort of human refuse that should've been aborted from the outset.Go right on ahead and "feel for the children".I know what those "children" are going to grow up and become.Rodents don't give birth to birds.