1/2 nl - do i call?

Live gameThere is a stradle on the table by a guy who likes to play a very wide range of cards to raises and has been know to raise with things like 2/3o.I am MP 1 with pocket jacks. I raise to $10.00.There are 4 callers including the CO, SB and BB when the guy who stradled comes over the top for almost 200.00.I have 140-150 in front of me, he has me covered. Looking around the table all the other players look ready to muck their cards. Do I call?

I'm be curious to see anyone try to give an answer to this.I'll try...Do you want to gamble?You are either racing, or wa/wb..and you have about 190 to 140 or so pot odds.It's up to you...what else can someone say about this hand???? that's constructive?

it's pretty much gambling.he might have one overcard..it could hit.a lot of idiots try and defend their straddles for whatever reason.i'd call and live with the results.- jordan

Barring an "I see through your soul all the time" read, I wouldn't call an all in at a deep stack (50+ big blinds) cash table preflop with anything less than QQ and not AKs.But that's just me. I like being the favorite a lot more than straight up gambling. With JJ, it's too likely it's a coin toss, plus the possibility of being 4.5 to 1 behind already. I just don't make those calls preflop.Being successful at huckle cash games is all about superior post-flop play. Players with serious preflop leaks in their game can be winning players at low limit no limit, as long as their post flop skills are better than average.If I see anybody pushing preflop in a cash game, and they turn up anything less than KK or QQ, then I'll fold 99.9% of the time and put a bullseye on their forehead for the rest of the night.

I'm be curious to see anyone try to give an answer to this.I'll try...Do you want to gamble?You are either racing, or wa/wb..and you have about 190 to 140 or so pot odds.It's up to you...what else can someone say about this hand???? that's constructive?
I agree w/ Actuary it is basically a gamble. AK AQ QK is a race. Lower PP u dominate. Higher PP u are dominated.If you got the roll I'd call.
Live gameThere is a stradle on the table by a guy who likes to play a very wide range of cards to raises and has been know to raise with things like 2/3o.I am MP 1 with pocket jacks. I raise to $10.00.There are 4 callers including the CO, SB and BB when the guy who stradled comes over the top for almost 200.00.I have 140-150 in front of me, he has me covered. Looking around the table all the other players look ready to muck their cards. Do I call?
shitty players can get good hands to, fold.
shitty players can get good hands to, fold.
My way of thinking exactly.Moreso than that, though... my edge over no limit players rests in the fact that I'm a better post-flop player. Calling all-ins preflop in cash games makes my winnings approach whatever odds I'm usually looking at when I call all-ins preflop. Move-in poker is for tournaments, not good cash games.

...this guy has been raising any two cards...this isn't a "big" lay down or a big cal either way...but i mean. come on.i've played in games like this and if you aren't willing to gamble with them when you are holding a real solid hand mine as well go home.granted i only played QQ AA KK AK AQ while i was there..i never really picked up JJ the entire night.I still left with $600 in profit...i dunno...this hand really depends on how much gamble you have.if he is playing any two cards, he either has a big hand (which to him could very well be AJ) or a coinflip, maybe a big pair. but that's unlikely, and i'd expect he'd try and get it out of you on the flop, not with an all in preflop (unless he knows you know he is an idiot raising with 2/3).I'd still call though, not cause I know I can outplay him later on, just, I'd be willing to gamble, and if I do lose, oh well...I'd be surprised if you we don't have the best hand here 8/10.- Jordan

This sounds a lot like some of the maniacs in the NYC club NLH games. They love making this move with small and medium PP's or suited connectors. If you're on a single buy-in then lay it down but if you came to play and have no problem losing a buy-in here I make the call. It sends a very clear message. If you laydown to a player like this you can wait all night for him to make this move when you hold a top 3 hand by this time you have folded your $10 raises with JJ AQ AK 10-10 etc. and are down to about $70. These players need to be played with and played back at early and often otherwise they will run you over.

thats what i think...this same kinda player tried to push me off a flop when I had QQ and an ace flop, he put me all in and i called after a few seconds deliberation. he had K high no draw...not that that makes things like that an insta-call..but if you have a fish who tries to bully...hell, i'm not afraid to get in there and "gamble" with him.granted, that was post flop, but preflop...i hate folding my big pairs to a known fish.- Jordan

Does the guy stradle every time he is that position? How did he play those hands? Did he protect it?? Use your table experience...Someone give me a reason why you would straddle in a low limit no limit game?

unless the OP says how many times the villain reraises to stack people in this game I'm usually folding this, JJ sucks.
for some reason, guys that straddle in my experience seem to hate lossing their straddle and will do anything to keep it.this sounds like one of those moments. but we could be way off.and yea, JJ sucks but against this guy more times than not I think we are well ahead. At best I'd give him a hand like KQ, or maybe Ax.OP post what he had. i'm hoping he had AK or something one time and you called him thinking he had shit. he flopped two pair and then you rivered a set. VINDICATION
unless the OP says how many times the villain reraises to stack people in this game I'm usually folding this, JJ sucks.
for some reason, guys that straddle in my experience seem to hate lossing their straddle and will do anything to keep it.this sounds like one of those moments. but we could be way off.and yea, JJ sucks but against this guy more times than not I think we are well ahead. At best I'd give him a hand like KQ, or maybe Ax.OP post what he had. i'm hoping he had AK or something one time and you called him thinking he had censored. he flopped two pair and then you rivered a set. VINDICATION
unless he reraised most of the table for there stack numerous times on straddle bets/any other time, I'm folding still.

thats fine. and i really dont hate folding.but i love gambling it up with these guys who love to throw money around with Ax. I think we are ahead enough times to call. but still a fold is alright...really depends on your bankroll situation.- Jordan

thats fine. and i really dont hate folding.but i love gambling it up with these guys who love to throw money around with Ax. I think we are ahead enough times to call. but still a fold is alright...really depends on your bankroll situation.- Jordan
it's not "gambling it up" if you believe you have the best hand or it's a "coinflip" where have an edge from 52-56%.the op said this "There is a stradle on the table by a guy who likes to play a very wide range of cards to raises and has been know to raise with things like 2/3o."he didn't say how many times the villain has reraised the table that much, that is my point, if he's doing it every 4 hands I'm calling allin in a heartbeat. If he just raised and straddled numerous times but didn't reraise other peoples raises I'm more inclined to fold because it looks like he's using his table image to induce action from a weaker hand than he holds.
Does the guy stradle every time he is that position? How did he play those hands? Did he protect it?? Use your table experience...Someone give me a reason why you would straddle in a low limit no limit game?
If there is no action at the table I will throw one out every now and then. It sends a message that says "I'm here to gamble." As Doyle says "You have to give action to get action". If you pick up a monster flop to a goofy hand then woohoo. Also in many of the nyc clubs around half the table or more will put the live 4 on and joining the fun lossens your image up. It makes me understand the old 3-blind games a bit.

I agree that:a) Almost all straddlers in low limit NL are just action huckles who are fundamentally bad at pokerb) JJ is indeed a premium hand, and it's highly likely we're ahead of the preflop raiser(s) right nowMy point is IF we're ahead, we're not significantly ahead. With KK, I know I'm at least 70% to beat any hand but AA. If you make these kinds of calls then your statistics will just approach the odds of each all-in encounter.Play for post-flop. That's where your edge should lie, and that's where you want to make your money. If you don't make significant post-flop mistakes, JJ is MUCH better to play for cash rather than all in preflop.

I was in almost the exact situation. 1-2 NLHE, straddler is a little crazy, plays all sorts of cards, but i know there's method to the madness. Very Gus Hansen ish style. My table was a little looser, and a 10$ raise really did nothing. I was right behind the straddler, UTG, and raised to 25$ from my stack of about 140$ with JJ. two late position callers, one who is loose as hell with a 600$ stack, and another who is an excellent player who just always seems to win any pot he is in with an 800$ stack. Comes to straddler who pushes his 1500$ stack into the middle. it was a max/min 100$ buy in so as you can see we were all doing well for ourselves (except loose guy who bought in 10 times), but this was very late in the night after all the 'live ones' had left. I'll post results in a bit, they're interesting.-Wallacer