Micro Lhe -750 Bb

Hello. On November 12th I started to try and learn Limit Holdem by playing on Lock Poker at .02/.04. I thought $30 would be a lot of money to learn on. I thought as I play a lot of other games and always have, it would not be so difficult to learn. My first mistake.

When all the $ was gone, I went to Carbon and started again, because there are more people playing there. Also, Lock and I had some deposit issues. I promptly lost $5 of my $35 deposit and quit playing for a week to look at what was going on and get some advice. Which is why I am here.

I saw in the Lhe Challenge thread a graph by Zach6668 and if I read it right, 200 BB losses over a 1000 hands isn't unusual for a winning player. I am a losing player. But it was information I didn't have, so you see how much I don't know.

I would like to post some hands, and I'd like to ask some questions so basic you will laugh at my ignorance. Please do, but please answer when you are done. My goal is not to become a winning player right now, but to get a basic set of instructions so I stop losing so fast that I can't keep money online long enough to learn. I have played about 10,000 hands since November 12th, which isn't a great deal, I am sure, but seems like it to me. I have "HEM" on a 30 day trial, so I can find out things if someone tells me I should look at that. I did find out about the red line.

My 3 first questions are:

1.) Is there a starting hand chart recommended for LHE that includes the positions and would someone who recommends it leave a link to it, please?

2.) I read it is 5-1 to make a gutshot straight draw in two tries, but it is 11-1 on the turn and the river. At .02/.04, where you get so many callers and raised preflop pots, it's easy to have over 11 bets in the pot after the flop to call to a gutshot straight draw. But the flop will often get only three players to see the turn card. If the needed card doesn't come on the turn and another player folds (also common) then there are only 8 bets in the pot. So often there is not enough to call again.

My question is: what's the point of calling on the flop if I cannot call the turn and should I just fold all of them? I don't understand mathematically when I should stay in when I don't have anything else that can win, like an over card or something.

3.) Do you think "don't call the flop if you don't feel you can raise " (unless with a big draw) is good advice?

Any advice or reference to any specific beginner articles on LHE are appreciated. If people here don't mind advising me, I have some hands I'd like to post.

Will address more later, but I'd look into reading Small-Stakes Hold'em by Sklansky and Co

Also, Theory of Poker

That should give you a decent foundation. Also, the rake is crazy at micro-stakes. Did you have rakeback with carbon?

I do have rakeback at Carbon, I did read some forum advice for beginners at the 2+2 forum. I don't know if I picked a good provider. I don't think anyone has rakeback at Lock poker. Another reason to leave there.

I appreciate the book recommendations, but until I can obtain and read the books, I'd like some basic advice. Or referrals to sites with basic instruction. All I have found is instruction for no limit holdem online.

I also just looked at my HEM Reports area and found if I had only played .02/.04, I would have only lost $10, which seems more reasonable to me for a person who never played poker before. I may not be as hopless as I first thought. Regardless, I want some good starting cards/position advice before I begin again and to understand when it makes sense to call both the flop and the turn in a gutshot drawing situation.

Thank you for answering me, this is the first forum where anyone has.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/35/micro-stakes-limit/micro-limit-library-799833/

Start there. Tons of useful info.

The most important thing I will say to you, is that it pointless to ask when is it okay to call the flop and turn with a gut-shot. Poker will have few to no absolutes.

The details make the decision for you.

Do you have initiative? Do you have position? What is the board texture? Do you have over-cards or a backdoor flush draw to go with your gutter? What is your opponent like (passive or aggressive)? How does he view you?

I think you should read the link below. It is for no-limit, but a great read. I think just reading this makes almost any capable of beating 10nl. A lot of the concepts are the same.

http://www.gamblingsystem.biz/books/2p2NL6max.pdf

But honestly, get a copy of Small-Stakes Hold'em. It looks like you can get a used copy on Amazon for $11 including shipping ($9 on ebay).

Post some hands and we'll give you some feedback.

I will, thank you, I have a queue. What converter should I use? I tried the one at Feral Cow because I saw it used here, but it didn't look the same. What do you prefer?

http://forumserver.t...library-799833/

Start there. Tons of useful info.

The most important thing I will say to you, is that it pointless to ask when is it okay to call the flop and turn with a gut-shot. Poker will have few to no absolutes.

The details make the decision for you.

Do you have initiative? Do you have position? What is the board texture? Do you have over-cards or a backdoor flush draw to go with your gutter? What is your opponent like (passive or aggressive)? How does he view you?

I believe you. And I will read all you have given me. But I don't think, without a lot more experience, I'm going to be able to take all of this into account, which is why I wanted a few set parameters to be going on with. And I really only wonder about the straight mathematics of it at this point, since I am unlikely to be able to use all those other things to make a reasonable decision for a while. Here's the question again so you don't have to go looking for it:

I read it is 5-1 to make a gutshot straight draw in two tries, but it is 11-1 on the turn and the river. At .02/.04, where you get so many callers and raised preflop pots, it's easy to have over 11 bets in the pot after the flop to call to a gutshot straight draw. But the flop will often get only three players to see the turn card. If the needed card doesn't come on the turn and another player folds (also common) then there are only 8 bets in the pot. So often there is not enough to call again

Let's assume I am in middle position with two in front and two behind. Being new, I have almost no information on my opponents and they not much on me. Someone has raised-in in front of me, but I have noticed he always raises-in and haven't noticed any of his hands are all that great. So, we have 10 bets plus the blinds, 11.5 bets going to the flop.

The flop comes with a King79, a gutshot to 789TJ of which I am holding JT same suits. No flush draw. The one who raised bets, the next folds, 12.5 bets in the pot, I call, one fold, one call, three to the turn with 14.5 bets in the pot.

The turn is a 2, still no flush draw. The raiser bets and there are 8 bets in the pot. Without a flush draw, if I make my hand, will win. I believe the last player will call. That will still only be 9 bets. But I believe the raiser will bet even if my straight comes on the river card. If I call the turn and make it, there will be exactly 11 big bets in the pot with my bet. IF the last person calls, 12. (plus the small blind, I suppose.)

I'm going to lose this a lot of times. I'm going to tie sometimes, I know, as it's happened to me already. I'm not seeing how it is profitable to me to ever call a gutshot draw, when that is all it is, on the flop without 16 bets in before the flop.