Suprise Of The Day

Yesterday, i joined a low limit 3/6 game and bought in for 200.00

I was seated at seat 8 on this table. I settled in, looked over the people there. And noticed a guy people called mr hollywood seated at seat 4. He played aggressive but talked like he never had nothing. Saying 2 pair wins, and causing people to show their hands first, then he would sho a straight or a flush and rake the pot.

Fast forward 2 hours, im now down 80.00 and mr hollywood, just got me for another 20.00. About 30 minutes earlier i noticed a lil ol lady sitting to his left was the only one to consistantly beat him. But apparantly was intimidated by him. She finally got racked up and left the table,

The dealer asked if anyone wanted that seat. I quickly said, ill take it. No one else wanted it.

I sat next to the mr hollywood. And posted. I let a few hands go, and noticed within 6 hands that suited connected hands seemed to play very well. I then went in to fake maniac mode. And each time i got big pocket pairs or any suited connecters, or kx suited on the button or cutoff, i would raise like a mainac would when someone would raise, i would reraise. My goal was to control this table and confuse mr hollywood. I made people feel i was in every hand, when i was actually only in 1 in 7 hands.

This tactic payed off very well. Within 15 minutes i recovered my chips lost to him, and no one knew how to play against me. I did however, but would have been foolish to tell everyone at the table how to beat me.

The best way to play against a maniac, is 1) play only strong hands and 2) dont raise, but call. 3) make sure the maniac is to your right if at all possible.

Problem was, i was so agressive, it tilted many players, and they tried playing anything against me, they did not notice my hands that i was winning with were all suited connecters or top pairs like kk aa qq because i played 3 6 suited 8 t suited 45 suited. Etc. On the button i would play k x suited or A x suited.

In the end, i left the table with a profit, and the table bewildered.

Im sure it threw off the table, because many there knew i was a rock type player and were extremely confused at my sudden new style of play. My goal was to not allow people to put me on a hand. It worked very well.

Today, ill go back to playing tight agressive.

Not sure your point to this post yet .. You established an image for 2 hours, changed seats and began to play like you were getting hit by the deck WHILE having to show hands!? I assume this was an extremely tight limit game AND to win with the hands you were showing down that you actually were getting hit with the deck for a bit. You describe no hands at all played with/against Mr. Hollywood and apparently did the opposite of your advice to 'only call' with this type of person on your right AND were playing non-premium hands as well.

You did say you went into 'fake maniac' mode so we have to give you some credit there for changing your style when you saw the opportunity. Glad you got your chips back during this time frame. You may want to keep up the same 'routine', if needed, during your sessions once you have established the 'tight aggressive' image that you seem to be more comfortable with ... good luck going forward.

Not sure your point to this post yet .. You established an image for 2 hours, changed seats and began to play like you were getting hit by the deck WHILE having to show hands!? I assume this was an extremely tight limit game AND to win with the hands you were showing down that you actually were getting hit with the deck for a bit. You describe no hands at all played with/against Mr. Hollywood and apparently did the opposite of your advice to 'only call' with this type of person on your right AND were playing non-premium hands as well.

You did say you went into 'fake maniac' mode so we have to give you some credit there for changing your style when you saw the opportunity. Glad you got your chips back during this time frame. You may want to keep up the same 'routine', if needed, during your sessions once you have established the 'tight aggressive' image that you seem to be more comfortable with ... good luck going forward.

Well, most hands i played, Mr Hollywood never revealed while sitting right next to him, as I woud Eagerly flip mine over and he would muck his. As for the Image, I have been at this brick n morter card room for about 15 years. and many of the regulars know me as the ROCK style. hardly in any hands. but when i am, i usually have a monster, very easy to read in that mannor.

An example of Mr Hollywood hands would be when I got a pocket pair of JJ everyone limped in to me, I raised. everyone to mr hollywood called, he Reraised me, i capped, he called. flop came

7s 10h 3d

mr holly wood checked and said he missed. action was to me, I bet. 1 person called the rest folded to mr hollywood. who called.

Turn was Ah

He checked, I bet

he then Raised me. I called.

last card was 5c

he checked and said Ace was good.

I flipped over my jacks, and he said, oohh PHEW, i thought you had the Ace, and turned over 5h 7h and scooped the pot.

this is one example. where he knew he had me beat, but tried to make me feel like i had the best hand.

he flopped a straight on another hand where i had pocked kings. and he played it the same way. and on the river said 2 pair good. again he got me to turn over my kings. and he responded, nice but those are no good to this. and turned over the straight.

funny part was, i was not on tilt. But not playing my best either.

it was not a tight game, average hands involved 4 to 7 players every hand. average rake was 60 to 120 in chips.

as for him being a maniac, i cured that when i changed seats. but he too was not in every hand. but he was semi loose passive and agressive depending who he went up against.

my problem with him was my seat position, me being at seat 8 and him at seat 4 i felt i was too far from him to play the way i did, and i was not getting enough hands to be successful with the maniac image. me moving closer to him and him being to my Direct right, gave me a better positional advantage to his placement.

Answer20 is bang on, my fear is that you're giving yourself too much credit for outthinking a table, that to be honest at the 3/6 limit level just doesn't think that well. Your short session salvaged result isn't enough to come away with a newly developed strategy. I too am glad you recovered your chips but it really does sound like you were hit with the deck...

The guy who was angling to slowroll his winner sounds like an idiot, and you should never show your cards first if it's not your turn, regardless of the player if it is not your turn to. ALWAYS take advantage of making people show in turn if they have to show first. Seeing hands in limit holdem is massive information because players dont' tend to mix it up as much as in NLHE... i.e. if someone shows a garbage hand it's usually a good indicator that they will play garbage hands... remember how many bets/raises they called and when and run it back through the hand to attach it to the player.