Hey guys first time poster..I played this hand on bovada in a .50/1.00 game the other night. Let me know what you think!

Hero: 10 8o

I have been pretty aggressive at this .50/1.00 table since I joined in about 10 hands ago. The table is playing pretty passive so far. So I raise 3x the blind in middle position 6 handed with 10 8o . Player to the left of me who is playing pretty tight (from my huge sample size of ten hands) min re- raises me. I'm thinking that he's just frustrated with all my action and has decided to take a stand. I call and we see a flop. Flop comes 7 9 K r . At this point I think he was 3-betting me with air and does not have a king, he might have a 7 or 9 so I decide to check with intention of calling. He checks. Queen of hearts comes on the turn. I lead out for 3/4 pot as a semi-bluff with my straight draw and he calls. The river is a 10, and I check. He bets 11.25 into a 10.00 pot and I hero call thinking its a bluff a. because he bet so large and b. Because I had been abusing the table before this point. But he flips pocket jacks. I think my biggest mistakes in this hand were: hero calling, because I really thought he had a queen at that point and value betting large, and thinking that I knew my opponent well enough to know if he were 3 betting light or not, and not really putting him on a good range. I just kind of figured I was ahead on the flop and not thinking about what he had. I thought he had a queen when it peeled off and when he bet on the river It was either a bluff or air and if he had a 7 or a 9 I win any ways. But how would you have played this hand?

1) I don't know how you can be sure he was 3 betting light based on 10 hands. That's far too small of a sample to be sure of anything. And, based on your passive read of the table, his min re raise seems more like strength than weakness. That's an imperfect read, but I think you should assume he's strong there, till you're given evidence that a player was out of line.

2) what reasonable hand could he have, that he's bluffing with? Turning A7 into a bluff? Float calling with air to take the pot away? Again, that turn call and river bet seems way more likely to be JJ, qj or even a slow played j10. To make a hero call like to that, you should have a reason for it. It seems like you were wishful thinking about the best case scenario, instead of looking at what was most likely.

Not a lot of poker discussion on here these days.

First off, I don't think its really possible for you to have established any kind of image in 10 hands, even if you played nearly every one. Nor could you really make the assumption that your opponents are frustrated with your play after only 10 hands.

I haven't played for ages, but in my opinion, I hate checking that flop. I think you have to lead out there. If he doesn't fold, you are either folding to a big reraise or going into check/fold mode on a call. Either way, it is going to cost you less than how you played it.

Idk though, wait for someone who is better at poker than I am to weigh in.

I agree it was definetly wishful thinking. 9 times out of ten I would never make this play, but I have a bad habit of going with my gut reaction instead of stepping back and really looking at the situation logically. thanks for the insight I appreciate it

This hand is pretty garbage pre-flop. I don't even particularly like stealing with it from the button (but I think that's defensible). Needs to be folded in the CO and other positions without some absolutely pristine reads.

I assume 100bb stacks. If he was particularly short, just fold to the 3-bet. Full stacks, call is fine. Anyway, in my experience, when random villain makes this play pre, it's very heavily weighted to AQ/JJ. After that, it's AK/QQ. After that, it's AA/KK. Other pairs and random hands follow, but "air" is rare. Being able to narrow properly will help us proceed.

That flop is good for us in the sense that we pick up a decent draw and it scares a few of his likely hands. If you honestly thought he had just a 9 or 7...which would be weird and you can't really know...checking with the intention of calling is worse than check-raising. Check-raising would be okay in this spot since it's your best shot of blowing him off of his AQ/JJ/QQ. When he checks, I do think he likely has one of those hands. The turn card is pretty bad for you in that AQ hit (and likely won't fold to one bet...and maybe not two), QQ is now a monster and not going anywhere. JJ will also probably call a bet...but maybe fold to two. Anyway, probably actually best to just check/fold at that point. Since we bet it and got called, the river check is fine. When he overbets, we beat basically nothing. He has QQ and AJ most of the time...occasionally AA/KK/TT. His bet size with JJ is actually pretty miserable, and he's quite amazingly lucky that you called with worse.