Random Baseball Observations

I did a quick look and didn't see this thread created already. If it is I'm so fricken sorry.Today In Revisionist Sports HistoryActual events in history that occurred this week - with a back-story you may not have known.Apr 16th 1992 The first concrete is poured for Cleveland's Jacobs Field. The concrete slab was instantly regarded as Cleveland's most beautiful structure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cardinals and Red Sox  

missed it by that much  

If you root for St. Louis and you're not from the immediate St. Louis metro area, you're a horrible person.

Why do the Sox keep bringing in Jenks in non save situations? I have no clue.

I think Baseball Prospectus may have been generous in giving the Halos 79 wins this year.

So does anyone want to talk Hanley Ramirez? I mean, I guess there's not much you can say on Hanley's defense. When I was watching the highlights of the game, before this became a national controversy, I remember thinking, "what the fuck? Aren't there runners circling the bases right now?" I'm the guy who doesn't care if a batter doesn't bust his ass down the line on a routine ground ball, but what he did there was gross.

So does anyone want to talk Hanley Ramirez? I mean, I guess there's not much you can say on Hanley's defense. When I was watching the highlights of the game, before this became a national controversy, I remember thinking, "what the fuck? Aren't there runners circling the bases right now?" I'm the guy who doesn't care if a batter doesn't bust his ass down the line on a routine ground ball, but what he did there was gross.
Yeah, there's not much to say in his defense, as you said. Much more than not hustling, I think Hanley showed what he's all about when he decided to bash his manager and teammates publicly, thinking that because he's a star and Fredi Gonzalez doesn't have a big track record, that at least some fans would back him up. Then he realized that absolutely nobody was behind him, so he backtracked, and gave this pathetic non-apology to save himself:
"I'm sorry that all this got so ugly. My intent was not to cause a distraction," Ramirez told ESPNdeportes.com in a phone interview from St. Louis. "I'm sorry that things got this heated."
The first thing I thought about after hearing about this whole thing was Jimmy Rollins actually, who's been benched a couple times over the years for failing to hustle, and how Rollins handled those situations perfectly. He owned up immediately, backed Charlie Manuel's decision 100%, apologized for lack of hustle to fans, and said he absolutely deserved to be benched for what he did.
I was not surprised by him loafing it and I was not surprised by his defensive, arrogant attitude before the hollow apology. I love watching Hanley but we all know who he is down here. He is signed long term so they will just have to deal with it or trade him and alienate the last 50 fans.
I was not surprised by him loafing it and I was not surprised by his defensive, arrogant attitude before the hollow apology. I love watching Hanley but we all know who he is down here. He is signed long term so they will just have to deal with it or trade him and alienate the last 50 fans.
The Red Sox would be happy to have him back (if we could deal with Manny, we can deal with Hanley). I have to say, the Hanley Ramirez for Beckett trade is one of the rare trades that worked out beautifully for both teams. I mean yeah, Hanley is a donk, but he's also pretty much a superstar.
The Red Sox would be happy to have him back (if we could deal with Manny, we can deal with Hanley). I have to say, the Hanley Ramirez for Beckett trade is one of the rare trades that worked out beautifully for both teams. I mean yeah, Hanley is a donk, but he's also pretty much a superstar.
Yeah, that was one of those everyone is happy trades. Hanley has been way too awesome to just focus on his laziness.......but it is a problem for team chemistry because he is the ONLY guy in Florida with a long term big money deal (other than Josh Johnson). Dan Uggla was the fastest 2b in history to 100 HRs but he still gets nothing but one year deals. I can see why his teammates hate him. But I dont want to trade him he is too good. It's a cross your fingers situation.
.but it is a problem for team chemistry
Who gives a shit team chemistry in baseball, though? I agree 100 percent with DL on that issue, team chemistry in baseball is a bunch of nonsense.
Who gives a shit team chemistry in baseball, though? I agree 100 percent with DL on that issue, team chemistry in baseball is a bunch of nonsense.
Have you played any baseball, high school level or above?
I cant imagine that everyone else on the team hating the star player is a good thing. worked for Reggie Jackson I guess.You are just better off having your leader actually be a leader. The Marlins bigger problem is cheapness.
  • 2 weeks later...