In my home game I was dealt AA preflop, I raised it 2,5BB because I always do that, I had 3 callers, including the blinds. The flop was 3A3, two hearts. All checked. Turn was a 9h, I bet 4,5BB and got called by the SB. The river is a 3 and I bet 7BB and he moves all in for 30BB to call for me after my 7. I show my hand, and fold. Good or correct laydown? I am myself 100% certain it was correct.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious? That's an absolutely ****ing terrible laydown. Appalling. The only chance for you not to take down the pot is if he has the case 3.Your read can never be good enough to fold top full house. He could have a hundred different hand (slight exaggeration), that he could make that play with that you beat here.

If its your home game and you know all the players and you are 100% sure than you saved yourself some money on the end. Of course if they all know you than maybe they were 100% sure if they pushed that you were good enough to fold a big hand in that spot.

If its your home game and you know all the players and you are 100% sure than you saved yourself some money on the end. Of course if they all know you than maybe they were 100% sure if they pushed that you were good enough to fold a big hand in that spot.
you are only beat by the case 3, i think this is an insta call
Are you serious? That's an absolutely ****ing terrible laydown. Appalling. The only two chances for you not to take down the pot is if - he has the case 3, you lose- he has the case ace, you splitYour read can never be good enough to fold top full house. He could have a hundred different hand (slight exaggeration), that he could make that play with that you beat here.
I would fold it for 1BB now that I know I was beat. And yes, only the case three beats me, if he had a lone ace, I would crush his 333AA with my AAA33, you don't even know the hand rankings man. And my read was absolutely good enough to fold second nuts here. And I had three callers, 6 cards where the case 3 could be, and with the action, and his tells, and his reaction after the hand, and his previous hands played, 100% he had it. Besides, 30BB was a pretty big shove.

This is a player that I made two huge mental notes from, from over previous session, learned by the only hand I played with him. He checks out of position when he flops a big hand, and he likes to make big all ins and try to bait you into a call, with Tony G like jabbering.

I would fold it for 1BB now that I know I was beat. And yes, only the case three beats me, if he had a lone ace, I would crush his 333AA with my AAA33, you don't even know the hand rankings man. And my read was absolutely good enough to fold second nuts here. And I had three callers, 6 cards where the case 3 could be, and with the action, and his tells, and his reaction after the hand, and his previous hands played, 100% he had it. Besides, 30BB was a pretty big shove.
Bah, I recognized my mistake immidiately after hitting the reply-button. ;-)Anyway, that's completely ridiculous, if he just had a single ace he would be equally confident in winning the pot, or he might put you on a 9 an have a pair of tens or better. Whatever. There's not a single poker player in the world who's good enough to fold aces here. Even if you were lucky enough to be right this time, it would be an extremely stupid laydown in the long run.
So, everyone disagrees with you, but you don't care as you're 100% sure you're correct. So what's the point of this thread again?
I am 100% confident in my postion, the topic title was a rhetorical question. I like the debate, and I might be swayed, but I am not as of yet.
Are you serious? That's an absolutely ****ing terrible laydown. Appalling. The only chance for you not to take down the pot is if he has the case 3.Your read can never be good enough to fold top full house. He could have a hundred different hand (slight exaggeration), that he could make that play with that you beat here.
Only other reason he moves in is with the case ace. Equally unlikely no ?
Bah, I recognized my mistake immidiately after hitting the reply-button. ;-)Anyway, that's completely ridiculous, if he just had a single ace he would be equally confident in winning the pot, or he might put you on a 9 an have a pair of tens or better. Whatever. There's not a single poker player in the world who's good enough to fold aces here. Even if you were lucky enough to be right this time, it would be an extremely stupid laydown in the long run.
I was right. He got very sincerely quit after my fold, and kept asking me like 20 minutes later, how I could possibly fold aces there etc.
Only other reason he moves in is with the case ace. Equally unlikely no ?
I don't think he'd only push with the other ace. But even if that were true, then it would be 50/50 and with the money already in the pot, a call would be profitable.

Obviously he showed you the 3 afterwards. Results-based thinking ftw? You beat Ax and 99, both very reasonable. Even if you know that he's the type of player who wouldn't raise all in with just 3s full of aces, 99 is more likely than 3x.edit: How does nobody else put villain on 99 here? Helloooooooo, obviously villain has 9s full.

I don't think he'd only push with the other ace. But even if that were true, then it would be 50/50 and with the money already in the pot, a call would be profitable.
I didn't say I'd fold, just saying the case ace is equally as unlikely as the case 3.

By the way, I realized I got the numbers wrong in the OP. To call his all in was slightly more than what was in the pot. And no way he is bluffing there with any hand, the way I played the pot. He might have an A, but it is more likely he had the case 3 in my mind. He would rather call with a lone A I think.

I think playing a home game is the key to the scenario....any other time it is an insta-call...but with people you know and have played with before and have a read on and you are sure than you sometimes have to trust your read and save it for a better spot.

I was right. He got very sincerely quit after my fold, and kept asking me like 20 minutes later, how I could possibly fold aces there etc.
Great. Being gods gift to poker, why aren't you in Vegas playing at the WSOP? With your telepathic abilities, it should be a walk in the park for you to win a couple bracelets and TP/MM.
He might have an A, but it is more likely he had the case 3 in my mind. He would rather call with a lone A I think.
A call from you opponent instead of a raise if he had the ace would be almost as stupid as your laydown.

Of course, I only did it because I knew his beting patterns, had tells on him when he was bluffing and when he was strong, knew his game and everything. I analyzed the hand, took my time, like 4 minutes to think it through, because it was such a vital hand. I was the chip-leader going into the hand, and would be crippled if I called and lost. And I felt like the superior player at the table. I never actually considered calling, I just had to go through all the motions. I am a feel player and an instinct player, and I just knew he had quads. I saw him react when the three hit on the river too.

He couldn't believe he made you lay down AAA33 with 333aa. I'd be quiet, too. And a little stupified. We play at my house Thursday nights. You're invited.