**official Mma Thread**

7368 replies to this topic

#7341 Scrim

Scrim

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:27 PM

In one week, Kimbo Slice died, Brock Lesnar returned to the UFC and Michael Bisping won the Middleweight strap.
“Merging feminist postcolonial science studies and feminist political ecology, the feminist glaciology framework generates robust analysis of gender, power, and epistemologies in dynamic social-ecological systems, thereby leading to more just and equitable science and human-ice interactions,”

#7342 Governator

Governator

FCP Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 5,548 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:08 AM

Is there a bigger idiot than Jon Jones in MMA?

#7343 Ron_Mexico

Ron_Mexico

You mess with the bull, you'll get the horns

• Members
  • 32,807 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:11 AM

Not likely.

Best fighter, biggest bonehead.
I make $31,000 dollars a year and I have a home.

#7344 Scrim

Scrim

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:08 PM

No there is no dumber fighter, possibly no dumber human being.

We already saw that the UFC has no integrity when they kept him after the whole hit and run thing, which itself came after a cocaine bust (testing positive). If that had been a random Top 15 featherweight, they'd have been gone from the UFC immediately but they kept him. #1 fighter in the world and what not. At this point, he needs to go. Make an example out of him; in spite of your skills, we just aren't going to tolerate massive character issues so let this be an example to every fighter in the promotion when we cut Jon Jones and never bring him back.

Even if they wanted him back, he may get a 2 year nap from USADA.... in the absolute prime of his career. At that point, his only option is to go fight overseas, which might be viable in the Orient but would be a huge step down (for, literally, the best single fighter on the planet. We're not talking an "NBA Caliber Guy" playing in Italy. We're talking LeBron James playing semi-pro ball in Rumania)

The wildcard here is that he may be telling the truth; it's entirely possible that he took an exotic supplement that landed him on the radar. The thing is, the 'supplements' they have these days aren't like the supplements of old days where you ate a capsule of dried rose petals and a little ginseng. It's hard core chemically engineered shit from Russia and China (and here) that exists outside of regulatory gravity simply because it's just way too complicated for legislators to keep up with unless someone famous dies (or hits 70 homeruns).

USADA is pretty good at keeping up with it, though. If you're the #1 Pound for Pound Mixed Martial Artist on earth (in the fastest growing sport on earth), you can't really plead ignorance and expect people to take you seriously... or, if you really are that ignorant and take SuproAndraDihoxichloride Stack-54 (Three Phase Cycle, #1 With Bodybuilders In Kazakhstan!) anyway, then you're too ****ing stupid to deserve what you have and you belong fighting for hamburgers in Peoria's franchise of King of the Ring.
“Merging feminist postcolonial science studies and feminist political ecology, the feminist glaciology framework generates robust analysis of gender, power, and epistemologies in dynamic social-ecological systems, thereby leading to more just and equitable science and human-ice interactions,”

#7345 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:12 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when has the fight game given a shit about character issues? If he can still fight after two years (and probably even if he can't), he'll be back for the first card he's eligible for. I understand people are angry, because they feel like they've been cheated out of watching the best in the world fight in his prime, but that won't stop a single person from watching him the second he comes back.
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#7346 Scrim

Scrim

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:15 AM

In the UFC's case, it would be a pure business decision.
The problem with character issues on Jonses level is that they interfere with basic operations. At that point, it begins to make sense to cut someone like that to 'prove a point' especially considering that- unlike boxing where there are 17 belts and numerous viable promotions- there really isn't another option for him. It's not like "going to another team" works in MMA... and if there's one thing we can learn from Don King, it's that the only way to run fight sports is with total ruthlessness because these aren't people you reason with. They only understand harsh consequences and terrifying examples.

Do I care that he took some supplement? Not in the slightest.
Is he the best P4P fighter in the world? Absolutely.
If I were in charge of the UFC, would I issue him a ban? As a business decision, yes. This is assuming the larger objective is sincerely to eradicate problem children from the sport. The only way to do that is to take the most valuable, most un-cuttable man in the entire sport and cut him to prove that point.

#7347 Scrim

Scrim

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:22 PM

View PostScrim, on 30 March 2016 - 06:08 PM, said:

Diaz/McGregor headlining 200 is proof that the rumour about Zuffa shopping the UFC is true.
They are in full cash extraction mode. That was probably one of the better selling fights of all time but a rematch isn't nearly as compelling as the first, never mind being significant enough as headliner/co-headliner for a monumental event like UFC 200, but they're now just trying to wring out every last short-term nickle they can.

PPV cash grab. they're trying to sell the promotion, they don't give a shit about anyone or anything.

Told ya so.

#7348 Ron_Mexico

Ron_Mexico

• Members
  • 32,807 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:13 PM

#7349 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,379 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:06 AM

What did y'all think of 202, fellers?
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#7350 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,074 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:58 PM

Not a UFC guy but I enjoyed it. Seems like Connor could work on his endurance. When he was fresh (first 1.5 rounds) or when he had an adrenaline rush (round 4), he was far superior to Diaz. Looked like he got exhausted really quickly though.

#7351 Ron_Mexico

Ron_Mexico

• Members
  • 32,807 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:03 PM

Good card, tons of finishes

#7352 Scrim

Scrim

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:10 PM

Money wise I got shit on. I had small bets on Magny and Diaz.

Show wise, it was a great card.

#7353 Spademan

Spademan

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 4,937 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:35 PM

It was a sweet show.
'"Luck" is people taking the laws of probability personally; Luck is the excitement of bad math.'

#7354 Scrim

Scrim

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:44 PM

The 4th largest bet I've ever had on a MMA fight was Punk v Gall both straight and R1 stoppage... and my balls were completely in my throat since I didn't exactly get Gall at a good price and there was always the possibility that the whole thing was a work.

The funny thing was, what made me shove on that fight wasn't even watching that Punk on "Evolution of Punk" and seeing that he wasn't within light years of being ready for the UFC (when the price on Gall went from -300 to -400 overnight). It was the weigh-ins and in particular, this moment...

Posted Image

.. when he blew a kiss at the crowd, watched them watching him... That was a man with a background in showbusiness who had no ****ing idea what he was about to be in for, stepping into a young lion like Gall. Never been surer of anything in my life. That instant, right there. It went exactly how I figured.

I do respect that the guy had the sack to do something like this at 37 but unless the UFC does some kind of legacy division of 40+ guys, he won't have a place anywhere unless they bring in cans specifically for him.

#7355 Spademan

Spademan

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 4,937 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:17 PM

When he did the stop right before he entered the octagon, pondered, looked out at the crowd, nodded, gave a smirk, looked down to "gather himself" and "soak in the moment" before stepping in, when the charisma and the showmanship were on full display, subtle, but still obvious, I thought: maybe this guy won't just be beaten embarrassingly, he might literally be killed.
'"Luck" is people taking the laws of probability personally; Luck is the excitement of bad math.'

#7356 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,379 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:03 PM

Can we get a Bob Sapp vs CM Punk fight, please?
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#7357 Scrim

Scrim

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:48 PM

Sam Sicilia lost but he is one of my favorite fighters.

Not too many guys consistently throw absolute fire in every punch like he does.

#7358 Ron_Mexico

Ron_Mexico

• Members
  • 32,807 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:05 PM

View PostScrim, on 17 September 2016 - 05:48 PM, said:

Sam Sicilia lost but he is one of my favorite fighters.

Not too many guys consistently throw absolute fire in every punch like he does.

That was a fantastic fight. Wonder what the price on the dog was, as he was the cheapest fighter on Draft Kings, and the dude looked phenomenal

#7359 Scrim

Scrim

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:07 AM

Opened at +185, settled at pick em +100.

They definitely gave him a bunch of credit against Sicilia, who is always a threat against anyone at 45.

#7360 Scrim

Scrim

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:08 PM

Eddie Alvarez is a pick-em dog- repeat, a (+) 110-120 dog- against Connor McGregor.

There is no line where Alvarez is not a slight dog as of this time.

The guy who just beat (consecutively) Gil Melendez, Anthony Pettis and Rafael Dos Anjos, is a dog against Connor McGregor at 155 because after all, McGregor just finally beat Nate Diaz at 170 and well, that should mean that he's the champion of the world at 155 because after all, he is at 145 and, well, it's only 10 pounds.

I guess that's the thinking.
The line has seriously tightened in the past couple days.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users