Running Bad, I Mean, Real Bad

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Take a break for a while.2) Play a different game.3) Play microstakes and just vent and go nuts. It'll give you a bit of relief. Either that or play micro stakes seriously and gain all your confidence back.4) Keep on truckin for another 20k hands and fight your way through it.Be warned about 3 though. You could get even more tilted by yet more bad beats.There isn't much you can do. Just make sure you aren't changing your game and making mistakes because of tilt. Variance sucks.

There isn't much you can do. Just make sure you aren't changing your game and making mistakes because of tilt. Variance sucks.
Thanks man, I really needed that. This is the worst side of Variance ever. I have heard of 300BB swings but now I actually experienced them. It hurts the bankroll badly, and I have bills to pay, so I don't think I can really take too much of a break, nor move down in limits. But I still have a somewhat healthy roll after my raping. I just hope I can start running hot, or even making just 1.5BB/100 hands. Even 1BB/100 hands would be nice. I just can't seem to win a fawking pot.

i went through this. So i stoped playing limit holdem and started playing plo8. Recently i've started playing limit holdem again and you know what, i wasnt running bad before as much as i wasnt plaing very well. ide really recomoned a break of some sort though. you can try what i did and go learn a new game. or maybe go find something completely different to do with your time. write a novel, learn to crochet, anything. because i promise you this, after 20,000 hands of losing even if you have been running bad you are not playing good right now.

There's always the possibility that you're not as good as you think you are.
Thanks buddy.In my defense, I haven't lost all of the $$$ from limit, a few hundred was from NL, and a few tourneys. I also didnt lose 300BB consecutively. I was up almost $500 at one point, and then I am now down $700 this month. So I lost 300BB total, but that is if you include the NL games too, and I am getting another $400 from rakeback so far this week, so that should change my records a little. I was looking for advice, but thanks.Here are some of the situations in limit that I want you guys to answer. All of these questions are with little or no read on opponents.-MP raises, you hold AQo in the CO, do you 3 bet? Call? Or fold?-KQs in MP, UTG raises, do you call, fold, raise?-AKs, raise pre flop, 1 caller...Flop.... 2-5-J. He checks, you c-bet, he raises, do you call/fold?Generally you aren't supposed to be calling 2 bets cold, Sklansky says so, so do you guys stick to this rule of thumb for the most part?
Thanks dickface.In my defense, I haven't lost all of the $$$ from limit, a few hundred was from NL, and a few tourneys. I also didnt lose 300BB consecutively. I was up almost $500 at one point, and then I am now down $700 this month. So I lost 300BB total, but that is if you include the NL games too, and I am getting another $400 from rakeback so far this week, so that should change my records a little. I was looking for advice, but thanks.
he didnt mean that as an insult. he was trying to be constructive.
he didnt mean that as an insult. he was trying to be constructive.
I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT, Do you know Abba? I have been beatin these games for over 3 months now, I don't think that all of a sudden I suck and can't win because of my skill level, its about running bad.

What advice could you possibly be hoping for?ITS JUST VARIANCE KEEP PLAYING AND ULL BEAT THOSE FISH!Im not saying that you're going to be a net loser at the tables. But if you set your expectations unreasonably high, you're going to be disappointed. Set the bar low and you'll be much happier. Credit yourself with 1BB/100 at the tables, and be happy with anything above and beyond that. Dont concern yourself with the results until the end of the month. 25k hands in (assuming you play on roughly the same pace as i do), if you're doing significantly worse than 1BB/100, you SHOULD be questioning your ability to beat the game.

What advice could you possibly be hoping for?ITS JUST VARIANCE KEEP PLAYING AND ULL BEAT THOSE FISH!Im not saying that you're going to be a net loser at the tables. But if you set your expectations unreasonably high, you're going to be disappointed. Set the bar low and you'll be much happier. Credit yourself with 1BB/100 at the tables, and be happy with anything above and beyond that. Dont concern yourself with the results until the end of the month. 25k hands in (assuming you play on roughly the same pace as i do), if you're doing significantly worse than 1BB/100, you SHOULD be questioning your ability to beat the game.
Well most of the beats have been from Party Poker, nearly all of them. But a portion has been from WPEX, but thats because I just started and didn't build up much rakeback. Hopefully after this week I should be seeing some good #'s And trust me Abba, 1BB/100 hands is great. If I could maintain that, and get rakeback, I'd be the happiest man alive. But about my questions a few posts above, what do you usually do in those spots?

It's only 20,000 hands... very small sample size, variance is just doing it thing. I went on a $7800 downswing two months ago in a span of 3 days when I moved up to 2-4NL. Just part of poker. Post a graph, it would make this thread alot better.

It's only 20,000 hands... very small sample size, variance is just doing it thing. I went on a $7800 downswing two months ago in a span of 3 days when I moved up to 2-4NL. Just part of poker. Post a graph, it would make this thread alot better.
I don't have poker tracker. Is there any other way to post a graph?
First off, BBFIDTS, I know. But I have been running SO bad this past month that it is almost starting to effect me and my game play. I have lost over 300BB and since I JUST got started with rakeback, I haven't gotten that back yet either. Set over set is the norm for me. AK vs AQ, AAQ flop. I mean bad, real bad. 20,000 hands bad too. Not just like I had a bad session, but bad sessions, plural. I've never seen anyone run this bad and I am starting to get a little frustrated. I am also starting to question if I even know what the hell I am doing anymore, after losing so much.I put in another 1,000 on WPEX so hopefully things wil turn around. But I am getting tired of deposting instead of withdrawaling, something I never used to do. What do you guys do when you're runnig bad? I don't mean a few days bad, Im talking WEEKS bad, over 20,000 hands bad. It is the worst feeling in the world. Any help would be great guys, thanks in advance.
Sry to hear it.Try mixing things up, try some low limit 7 Stud H/L or something for a couple of hours and use some different poker skills wher there is more thought.Sometimes works for me.
It's never been an issue for me.
-MP raises, you hold AQo in the CO, do you 3 bet? Call? Or fold?-KQs in MP, UTG raises, do you call, fold, raise?-AKs, raise pre flop, 1 caller...Flop.... 2-5-J. He checks, you c-bet, he raises, do you call/fold?-K8s or K9s in BB when someone from Button raises to steal? Call/Fold?
I don't have poker tracker. Is there any other way to post a graph?
You NEED pokertracker. So its obvious too that you don't have PokerAceHud huh? Your throwing away money by not having those two apps. Just buy them.
Sry to hear it.Try mixing things up, try some low limit 7 Stud H/L or something for a couple of hours and use some different poker skills wher there is more thought.Sometimes works for me.
Thanks man. I generally only see about 18-22% of flops. I usually win around 9%. And yeah, anything else I can give you guys to help?
You NEED pokertracker. So its obvious too that you don't have PokerAceHud huh? Your throwing away money by not having those two apps. Just buy them.
Really? Damn, I guess I must invest then. thanks.
Not sure what that has to do with anything, but...1) Fold if his pfr is < 8 (if it's from mp1 in particular), otherwise 3bet.3bet without information against all MP raises, but fold to EP raises.2) fold3) call or 3bet4) call
I figure these are the tougher spots in limit, so I would ask what you guys would do, and I do pretty much the same things. Just making sure I wasn't making big mistakes. I know what to do with AK tptk flop or AA, I was just curious about the other harder spots in limit. So you rarely call 2 bets cold pf, right?
Not if im the first one to act on the raise.Occasionally i will from the sb if it's a 2/3rd blind structure. But it's not really 2 cold there... it's more like 1 and 1/3rd.
True, and that makes sense. I usually won't complete without a decent hand, oh crap I got AA and QQ on two tables...I will let you know how it goes down...FCUK me...lose to a flush on the river with QQ for $60, pick up the blinds with AA. Then pick up 88 flop a set, river Q, guy has QQ. What is going on here? Jesus. Just had KK run into 88 on an 668 board...FCUKING $HIT!!! 77 flop top set, 237, guy goes runne runer for the flush..huge pot again. What's going on? AA cracked again...by AK...flush on riverThis is getting so sick, I don't know what to do anymore, I simply cannot win a hand. Rakeback is like, breaking me even, that is sick. I am running so bad!Im already down 30BB in 305 hands....What the fcuk is going on. Im going crazy.
Not if im the first one to act on the raise.Occasionally i will from the sb if it's a 2/3rd blind structure. But it's not really 2 cold there... it's more like 1 and 1/3rd.
Hey abba, what about small pairs in early position. Like 22-55, do you limp? fold, or raise?

... fold, like i assume everyone does.99 is the smallest pair that ill always raise (in an unraised pot) from any position with any amount of limpers.77 and 88 are debatable under the gun. ive folded, limped and raised. depends on the table.

I'll 2nd this

*Update on my terrible session...Hands played...595Down...$260 65BB.. Geeze, this is getting too sick for me to even type...Ive had AA cracked 4 times for big pots....I flopped a set only to have a bigger set rivered 6 times. Each for big volume pots, and I would flop top 2 pair when they flopped set and I wouldnt' improve to a house, 5 times. This is completely sickening. I don't know If I can take these beats much longer. This is the worst thing I have seen in my life...