Your Thought's

I posted this in the bad beat section as a therapy aide for myself but I wanted to get everyones opinion. 10 person $1/2 limit ring game. I'm the BB and get dealt 23 off-suited. 4 ppl limp and I check. Flop comes 2 3 8. I bet $1 and get 3 callers. Turn is a K. I bet $2 and the next to act raises to $4, remaining 2 fold and I call. My questionshould I have re-raised him to $6 or just call like I did. At the time I thought he might have K 8 for the top 2 pair. Looking back seeing as how he didn't re-raise me after the flop I should have realized he wasn't holding an 8. The river is a Q and I check figuring that I'm probably beat and I would just call down his bet, which I did. He turns over KQ for top 2 pair. My thinking with not re-raising after the turn was that he was very likely to re-raise me back and I wasn't completely sure I had the best hand. I did save myself at least $4 by not betting the turn and river so I guess that is one positive I can't take away from this hand.Your insights and opinions are appreciated.Duff

you played it fine, unlucky. its very marginal whether to reraise the turn/bet the river, its not really a problem that you did the weaker thing here, you'll miss value bets but you'll save bets when you're beat. its all fairly standard

Why would you put him on 2 pair? if he had top pair on a flop of rags, why wouldn't he re-raise you? When he bet 4$ on the turn you know he hit his kings so why wouldn't you trap him and re-raise him. It wasn't a terrible play but i would have played more aggressively on the flop.

Why would you put him on 2 pair? if he had top pair on a flop of rags, why wouldn't he re-raise you? When he bet 4$ on the turn you know he hit his kings so why wouldn't you trap him and re-raise him. It wasn't a terrible play but i would have played more aggressively on the flop.
Yeah that was one of the points I tried making in my post. I realize now that I should have figured he didn't have an 8 seeing as how he didn't re-raise me after the flop. It was a mistake on my part not taking the alotted time offered at Party, I tried to put him on a hand quickly and I guessed wrong. Luckily I did because even if I re-raised him I doubt he would have mucked it. I know I played the hand poorly, but luckily I learned from it, and that's a good thing. Plus I saved myself a couple of bets.

Bottom two pair is a very marginal hand. I think you played it correct, for the most part. I might have checked the flop, to try and get a check-raise in there. You want to drive as many people out of this pot as possible...your weak two pair can easily be beaten. But if you don't think anyone would bet for you, then you have to do it yourself.I think re-raising the turn would be a bad idea. He may have been holding 88 and slowplaying, he could have K3s and was afraid to raise the flop, or K2s. Also, if another K, 8, or the guys kicker (which is what happened in this case) came on the river--you're beat. It's a marginal hand, bro, don't get too aggressive with it.I assume you play other games than hold'em. Consider "Seven Card Stud". How aggressive would you be with (7 :) 3 :D ) 7 :D 3 :) J :D against an opponent who has (xx) A :) 9 :) Q :) ? You would probably play it "slow" or more passive. You could easily get your small two pair beat by aces up, queens up, or nines up. Even worse if he had a pair showing, like: (xx)A :) 9 :D 9 :club: ...In this case, you'd probably end up throwing your hand into the much, especially if he raised on third street. As a matter of fact, if you switchd the sevens in your hand to Jacks, it would still be a very marginal situation.Just my thoughts...It's good to be selective aggressive, bottom two is not very selective IMHO.

I posted this in the bad beat section as a therapy aide for myself but I wanted to get everyones opinion. 10 person $1/2 limit ring game. I'm the BB and get dealt 23 off-suited. 4 ppl limp and I check. Flop comes 2 3 8. I bet $1 and get 3 callers. I'd have given a check raise a shot against 5 people personally, but that's just me.Turn is a K. I bet $2 and the next to act raises to $4, remaining 2 fold and I call. My questionshould I have re-raised him to $6 or just call like I did.Raise for value. You're ahead most of the time here. Your fold equity is negligible. Fold if he caps it. At the time I thought he might have K 8 for the top 2 pair. Looking back seeing as how he didn't re-raise me after the flop I should have realized he wasn't holding an 8.Um, no and no. Lots of weak players aren't going to raise an 8 on this flop and the likelyhood he hit two pair here is pretty small. The river is a Q and I check figuring that I'm probably beat and I would just call down his bet, which I did. He turns over KQ for top 2 pair. My thinking with not re-raising after the turn was that he was very likely to re-raise me back and I wasn't completely sure I had the best hand. I did save myself at least $4 by not betting the turn and river so I guess that is one positive I can't take away from this hand. You lost money by not raising the turn. You had the best hand, will have the best hand most of the time.Calling the river is fine.Someone hit a nine outer to beat you, it happens. Don't let it make you play less agressively in the future.'bad beats don't cost you money long term, not getting value from hands when you are ahead does.

I think re-raising the turn would be a bad idea. He may have been holding 88 and slowplaying, he could have K3s and was afraid to raise the flop, or K2s. Also, if another K, 8, or the guys kicker (which is what happened in this case) came on the river--you're beat. It's a marginal hand, bro, don't get too aggressive with it. That's just horrible advice. Really horrible. Most of the time he has KJ, KT, or KQ and is raising because he hit his overcard. In those cases he has 9 outs, you have 37.Personally, I'd like to get a raise in there when I'm a 4 to 1 favorite. If he caps, fold. If he's capping KQ on this turn you're going to catch ihm later with a set or whatever and get paid.

Given the texture of the board, smasharoo, you are probably right. Reraise the turn, and fold if it's capped. However, I do still believe bottom two pair is a dangerous hand to get aggressive with. In this case, it may be OK. But the flop isn't always going to be rags.

Turn is a K. I bet $2 and the next to act raises to $4, remaining 2 fold and I call. My questionshould I have re-raised him to $6 or just call like I did. Raise for value. You're ahead most of the time here. Your fold equity is negligible. Fold if he caps it. -SmasharooIma have to disagree with you on this one. Why would you fold if he caps you? The best hand you can put him on is a pair of kings. limping in with K3 or K2 seems stupid, and if he had K8 he would have bet on the flop. Folding if he caps you is a little too tight for me. If he re-raised I would be willing to put all my chips in. But thats really missing the point. Your biggest mistake was not betting higher on the flop. a 1$ bet isn't a big enough feeler bet.

Ima have to disagree with you on this one. Why would you fold if he caps you? The best hand you can put him on is a pair of kings. limping in with K3 or K2 seems stupid, and if he had K8 he would have bet on the flop. Folding if he caps you is a little too tight for me. If he re-raised I would be willing to put all my chips in. 1. Wrong game.2. The best hand you can reasonably put him on if he caps is 88, to which you're drawing dead. You see, three of a kind beats two pair and 8's full beats 2's or 3's full :D