For or against? http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/09/14....ban/index.htmlFrench senate approves burqa banParis, France (CNN) --The French senate approved Tuesday a law banning any veils that cover the face -- including the burqa, the full-body covering worn by some Muslim women -- making France the first European country to plan such a measure.The law passed by a vote of 246 to 1, with about 100 abstentions coming essentially from left-leaning politicians.The legislation was overwhelmingly approved by the lower house of parliament in July and will go into effect next spring.French people back the ban by a margin of more than four to one, the Pew Global Attitudes Project found in a survey earlier this year.Some 82 percent of people polled approved of a ban, while 17 percent disapproved. That was the widest support the Washington-based think tank found in any of the five countries it surveyed.Clear majorities also backed burqa bans in Germany, Britain and Spain, while two out of three Americans opposed it, the survey found.A panel of French lawmakers recommended a ban last year, and lawmakers unanimously passed a non-binding resolution in May calling the full-face veil contrary to the laws of the nation.ARICLE CONTINUED AT LINK

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Against. Reasons should be beyond obvious.
I think the only reasonable response from America is to tell France that they are wrong for making this decision and in the future they should consider how their actions will affect their standings in the eyes of other countries.
Against. Reasons should be beyond obvious.
I'm undecided on this issue, but I don't think its "beyond obvious". You have to factor in that the burqa is one of the main tools by which women are effectively enslaved by muslim men; they don't really have a choice whether or not to wear it. I think this is more about whether you have the right to force your wife to wear something, rather than it is about policing fashion.
I'm undecided on this issue, but I don't think its "beyond obvious". You have to factor in that the burqa is one of the main tools by which women are effectively enslaved by muslim men; they don't really have a choice whether or not to wear it. I think this is more about whether you have the right to force your wife to wear something, rather than it is about policing fashion.
It's amazing how so many are against building a mosque a couple blocks from ground zero because it "offends them", but think it is okay for muslims to enslave women and abuse children. I laud France for being the first to take a stand against it and we should follow suit. Treating children like this is inhuman and cruel. I don't care what the older women think they want since they have been sheltered from public opinon in the first place and are likely suffereing from a form of Stockholm syndrome identifying with thier captors.This is exactly the kind of muslim radicalism that we should be talking about.
It's amazing how so many are against building a mosque a couple blocks from ground zero because it "offends them", but think it is okay for muslims to enslave women and abuse children. I laud France for being the first to take a stand against it and we should follow suit. Treating children like this is inhuman and cruel. I don't care what the older women think they want since they have been sheltered from public opinon in the first place and are likely suffereing from a form of Stockholm syndrome identifying with thier captors.This is exactly the kind of muslim radicalism that we should be talking about.
So your cultural view on women should be forced on the muslim world?
Only you would equate stopping human rights abuse as being similar to the fashionista police. Oh who am I kidding, there are plenty more just like ya.
So a culture that treats women different than you is 'abusing' them?What if the women like wearing burkas? Should they be forced not to wear them because you have decided that they are a tool of religious oppression??Telling a few million people they are wrong because of your personal opinion is the reason they flew planes into the twin towers.I thought your side wanted to understand them?
Against the ban.
So are you against the rights of France to pass laws in their own country?What about for security issues?In America we are dealing with problems with muslim women refusing to take their robes off for airplane security checks, and even refusing to remove their veils for facial recognition checks.
So are you against the rights of France to pass laws in their own country?
I don't think that's what we're talking about.Is it illegal to wear a KKK...um, outfit? What do you call those?
I don't think that's what we're talking about.Is it illegal to wear a KKK...um, outfit? What do you call those?
Let's just be clear that there is no way a law like this would pass in the US. France has a different legal system and a different cultural situation compared with the US. I think it's a big source of confusion in this discussion. Are we asking: is it legal for France to pass such a law? (yes) Should we pass a law like this? (no) Should France have passed this law? (hard to answer)
So a culture that treats women different than you is 'abusing' them?What if the women like wearing burkas? Should they be forced not to wear them because you have decided that they are a tool of religious oppression??Telling a few million people they are wrong because of your personal opinion is the reason they flew planes into the twin towers.I thought your side wanted to understand them?
Look, I realize that you probably like to make your children wear Casper the Ghost outfits whenever they step outside your door and beat them for not obeying your commands but whatever. I think it's abuse, you think it's fun.
Let's just be clear that there is no way a law like this would pass in the US. France has a different legal system and a different cultural situation compared with the US. I think it's a big source of confusion in this discussion. Are we asking: is it legal for France to pass such a law? (yes) Should we pass a law like this? (no) Should France have passed this law? (hard to answer)
I dissagree. I think we should pass the same law. I would love to see it argued before the world court over human rights abuses and hopefully bring heaps of scorn on countries like Saudi Arabia that support such brutality.
Look, I realize that you probably like to make your children wear Casper the Ghost outfits whenever they step outside your door and beat them for not obeying your commands but whatever. I think it's abuse, you think it's fun.
Well, at least I am presenting real arguments.I don't need to make up anything to make my point.
I barely know what's going on in my own neighborhood, let alone a whole other country. I thought we were talking about the theory of this particular law.
Wanna bet?Just have one muslim terrorist wear a burka and refuse to remove it for security screening to get on an airplane, and end up blowing up his foot or lighting his underwear on fire...and we will outlaw robes in 2 seconds.
Wanna bet?Just have one muslim terrorist wear a burka and refuse to remove it for security screening to get on an airplane, and end up blowing up his foot or lighting his underwear on fire...and we will outlaw robes in 2 seconds.
just like we outlawed shoes.
just like we outlawed shoes.
Oh they wanted too. But the Nike lobby has the democrats in thier back pocket.why else would Algore have stopped all airport security upgrades a couple years before 9-11?
So are you against the rights of France to pass laws in their own country?
No.
What about for security issues?In America we are dealing with problems with muslim women refusing to take their robes off for airplane security checks, and even refusing to remove their veils for facial recognition checks.
I think the security issue is a tangent. I think whatever regulations apply to searches of everybody else should apply to Muslims. That's obviously not what the French are proposing; they're inventing a special rule specifically because of the religious and cultural implications.
It seems like you're excusing religious intolerance by moral relativism, which hurts my brain.