Turning To Religion At A Time Of Crisis

I am one who always never really followed my religion that strongly sure I celebrated the holidays and the traditions with them but that seem to have slided with the times. Now the only times I really turn to prayers are in times are crisis, which I now find sad and hypocritical. I am starting to feel odd about this maybe because there are things going on in my life again and because of friends that I care about are also suffering. I am turning more to praying to ease my self conscious and to also give hope that there is some god there listening and that he will help those I pray for. What I don't understand is why I don't do it when there is no crisis in my life and things are going well. Am I just rambling, any other thoughts?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

everyone knows prayers don't come true if you say them out loud

No, no problem. It's just a little odd that you'd post a prayer asking God to take you instead of others in at least three places (like one wasn't good enough). A bit dramatic, but hey it's the inte

I got nothing better to do so why not take some time to respond...first of all, I not looking for any ones sympathyYes you were. Maybe you don't realize it but it was a obvious post of LOOK AT ME PEOP

I think when things get bad, we realize that so many things are not important, and that our priorities are messed up most of the time.Turning to God is a common answer for this because we realize that powerlessness sucks, and only He could have the power to overcome things we see as impossible obstacles.Regardless of your beliefs about it's truthfullness or value in praying, you do no harm, and the action I think makes you a better person for the selfless action of caring about another enough to make every effort.But as the Bible says, thinking good thoughts, or saying good things, is not a substitute for doing good actions as well.As far as is it hypocritical?...I can't cast the first stone..But I got the second one ready to fly!

I am one who always never really followed my religion that strongly sure I celebrated the holidays and the traditions with them but that seem to have slided with the times. Now the only times I really turn to prayers are in times are crisis, which I now find sad and hypocritical. I am starting to feel odd about this maybe because there are things going on in my life again and because of friends that I care about are also suffering. I am turning more to praying to ease my self conscious and to also give hope that there is some god there listening and that he will help those I pray for. What I don't understand is why I don't do it when there is no crisis in my life and things are going well. Am I just rambling, any other thoughts?
"Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help...." Robert HeinleinReligion is turned to due to fearFear of death. Fear of punishment. Fear of not being loved. Fear of insignificance. Fear of exclusion. Fear of not understanding. When times are tough you are anxious. You are scared. It is only natural to ask for help. That it is from an irrational source matters not - fear overrides common sense
"Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help...." Robert HeinleinReligion is turned to due to fearFear of death. Fear of punishment. Fear of not being loved. Fear of insignificance. Fear of exclusion. Fear of not understanding. When times are tough you are anxious. You are scared. It is only natural to ask for help. That it is from an irrational source matters not - fear overrides common sense
Yea, much better to just realize that it doesn't matter anyway because you will cease to exist soon and nothing has any value anyway.Way to lift the spirit there Kram.And Jesus isn't a crutch...He's a stretcher. You can't even limp yourself into heaven.

Truth in all those thoughts. Fear is something I never did deal with well, especially with the unknown. but it doesn't hurt to try or it doesn't hurt to give. I suppose that's one reason why I became a nurse. Sometimes I just don't understand his reasonings for what he does and the reasons for why he does it. Sometimes being a nurse you know just way too much and you just don't want to know the truth. On Facebook today I wrote this quote "sometimes life is not truly fair, you just have to fight back harder when it bites you in the ass". Nothing more truer than that could be said at this time is how I am really feeling. Oh Lord give me strength to fight and to keep positive and to help my friend as well. Amen

Yea, much better to just realize that it doesn't matter anyway because you will cease to exist soon
Most people find even more value in their lives when they realize that they don't go on forever.
and nothing has any value anyway.
Well, there's always money!But to seriously speak to Rose's comments, I think the real power of 'prayer' is in staying positive and having some hope, something to look forward to. The mind has tremendous power to keep us going on and creating life, or to let us dwindle and fade. I'll just add that one can look forward to fulfilling their purpose in life with our without religious belief; the human spirit does not belong to any particular religion, and we each need to cultivate it in ourselves.That said, I do not think prayer is the real solution here. In order to really win over depression, one has to change their thought patterns and activity level, which I know Rose is in the process of doing, and I know she can succeed with a sustained effort.
Am I just rambling
You??? Never.
My eyes are bleeding after reading this.
Most people find even more value in their lives when they realize that they don't go on forever. Well, there's always money!But to seriously speak to Rose's comments, I think the real power of 'prayer' is in staying positive and having some hope, something to look forward to. The mind has tremendous power to keep us going on and creating life, or to let us dwindle and fade. I'll just add that one can look forward to fulfilling their purpose in life with our without religious belief; the human spirit does not belong to any particular religion, and we each need to cultivate it in ourselves.That said, I do not think prayer is the real solution here. In order to really win over depression, one has to change their thought patterns and activity level, which I know Rose is in the process of doing, and I know she can succeed with a sustained effort.You??? Never.
ah Vb my friend it's just not the depression, not this time. That part in me has improved :club: . More to it I am afraid. Lets call it an unexpected re-occurrence, or a battle with an old fight that I thought I had defeated. Heading for some more testing and surgery on FridayAs for the rambling yes I do admit to it.
My eyes are bleeding after reading this.
that confusing is it. actually I think KramitDaToad hit it right on the nose
Bummer that all studies done by almost every reputable expert in the area proves that a person who is religious is much more likely to have happiness, live longer, be healthier, and be thinner than people who don't have religion.But keep hoping..nobody ever got hurt by hope and faith...
oh really?
the response of pain is obvious but was it from a lost of faith? Sometimes Austin in times of suffering and pain we often blame our losses on faith. Is it maybe we set our expectations to high or set ourselves to fail or did we do something wrong. We have to re-evaluate and look at everything but then there are times where things just do not make sense at all and that you can't account to why. So you just pick up the pieces , fight the best and move on with life cause if you don't then you lose. Don't spend your life trying to figure out the why because it's just not worth it, you will never find out the answer. What you have to do is believe in yourself, trust and love yourself and then you can find the same in others. Sure it's okay to be angry for a day or week but to carry that anger for more than that is not normal or worth it.
But keep hoping..nobody ever got hurt by hope and faith...
Well, except this woman.....http://www.rickross.com/reference/cscience/cscience25.htmlSendeca — A woman who declined emergency medical care because of her faith died Wednesday from injuries related to an automobile accident on Dec. 8, authorities said.Jane Elizabeth Roberts, 74, of 407 S. Walnut St., Seneca, received a concussion in the Dec. 8 automobile accident. She was driving on North Pine Street near Northside Elementary School, toward U.S. 123, when her car ran off the right side of the road and down an embankment, striking several small trees.Ms. Roberts, a Christian Scientist, had no visible injuries and refused to be transported to the Oconee Memorial Hospital emergency room, according to Oconee County Coroner Karl Addis. He said the only help she requested was help from her vehicle to the road and then a ride home from police, which was provided.Officers asked her again at the accident scene if she wanted medical assistance, but she declined, citing her Christian Science faith. According to the online encyclopedia Wikipedia, Christian Science is controversial because of its encouragement of prayer for healing rather than use of modern medical treatments. It was founded by Mary Baker Eddy in 1879 after she was healed, which she believed was because of her Christian faith.A member who answered the phone at the Christian Science reading room in Seneca Wednesday night said Ms. Roberts had relied on prayer for healing for her entire life, and wanted to continue to do so.Ms. Roberts had been at her home since the accident and someone was with her around the clock. She had become increasingly unresponsive over the last several days before her death, Mr. Addis said. He added that family members were present when she died. He was called to the house by Emergency Medical Service workers.Ms. Roberts had no pertinent past medical history and no attending physician, Mr. Addis said.An autopsy showed that a concussion led to swelling of the brain, which led to respiratory failure, Addis said
But keep hoping..nobody ever got hurt by hope and faith...
Well, except this woman.....
the above posting of Vb
other examples in which people refuse help which could save them such as blood transfusions or any other emergency procedures like tracheotomies, chemo etc that are proven to save lives. good points Vb.
Any treatments such as blood transfusions or any other emergency procedures like tracheotomies, chemo etc that are proven to save lives. good points Vb.
proven to save lives......?
proven to save lives......?
ok some lives. are you looking for the proof El Guapo?Is it better to die than to have a life saving procedure as a trachea when your windpipe is crushed? Or is it better to suffocate to death? I suppose it is the person choice. or to have a blood transfusion when it can save your life, when you lost more than you can live without. Or to have Plasma or any blood by products. Would you rather bleed to death?As far as chemo goes now, it has saved many Cancer patients or had extended there lives. there are numerous drug agents that have worked for some people. As for the research there is plenty of it out there I suggest pub med for that.

Rose I have no idea what you are talking about. You typed this sentence:

Any treatments such as blood transfusions or any other emergency procedures like tracheotomies, chemo etc that are proven to save lives.
...that are proven save lives...what? You stopped typing mid thought and then put a period....that are proven to save lives should be used regardless of what the parents religious background is. ...that are proven to save lives should be used regardless of a parents wishes to do alternative treatments.Are these in the ball park?
Rose I have no idea what you are talking about. You typed this sentence:...that are proven save lives...what? You stopped typing mid thought and then put a period....that are proven to save lives should be used regardless of what the parents religious background is. ...that are proven to save lives should be used regardless of a parents wishes to do alternative treatments.Are these in the ball park?
I'm fairly certain that Rose is JJJ. js.
there are numerous drug agents that have worked for some people.
Norm Crosby lives. This sentence has more than one meaning. I had to read it a couple of times to understand what she meant.I guess she decided not to take the advice of Theresa.
Norm Crosby lives. This sentence has more than one meaning. I had to read it a couple of times to understand what she meant.I guess she decided not to take the advice of Theresa.
No that's not true, I have taken Theresa advice but if you had read the thread from the beginning then you might have a little understanding and compassion when someone is going through a rough period of time. I just happen not to put a reference to El Guapo remark so I can see why he question my thoughts. As for me I have to face surgery again in less than 10 hours to see if the Cancer I had years ago had returned. Slink I am glad you are perfect, I did think there was such a human that existed.
I'm fairly certain that Rose is JJJ. js.
brvheart your just a piece of work as well
No that's not true, I have taken Theresa advice but if you had read the thread from the beginning then you might have a little understanding and compassion when someone is going through a rough period of time. I just happen not to put a reference to El Guapo remark so I can see why he question my thoughts. As for me I have to face surgery again in less than 10 hours to see if the Cancer I had years ago had returned. Slink I am glad you are perfect, I did think there was such a human that existed.
Sorry to hear this. Good luck!

thx Theresa and slink heading in now gl to me.