By awarding teams a total of 3 points for an OT or SO game, and only two points in regulation, it allows for so much collusion among cross conference matchups. If a game is tied with 5 minutes to go, it's in both teams interest to play carefully and ensure OT. They both benefit. The solution is soooooo simple:

Award 3 points in ALL games. A regulation win being worth 3 points, while if the game goes into OT it becomes a 2-1 split. It's just so much more logical.

My Ideal scenario would be:

no points for OTL. 5 mins 4v4, 5 mins 3v3 OT. If nobody scores, the game ends in a tie, no Shootout. It would happen rarely.

Your suggestion is more logical than the current one, though the old model of just awarding no points for a OT/SHO loss is the best. Then again, I wish they'd just let games end in ties...

I don't think there was ever a point where a shootout loser didn't get a point. And Ot loser other than playoffs.

I think the league s stance is we still have ties , but we play for an extra point.

Detroit Montreal game ended in a tie last night. But the Habs got the extra point.

Also the league last year made ROW an important category. The tiebreaker.

The Leafs and Habs both got 2 pts last night. But the Leafs actually won, and received a ROW

It's about perception of the system

Edit. Habs won in Ot. Not shootout

I don't think there was ever a point where a shootout loser didn't get a point. And Ot loser other than playoffs.

You're correct on the SHO, though if you lost in OT before, you just didn't get a point. No big whoop.

I still don't understand what was wrong with a tie after 65 min of hockey.

Nothing. Though I'm fine with Dubey's suggestion, or something similar.

The casual fans (meaning fans that don't hang out on a NHL section of a poker forum) don't want ties so the NHL should do what it can to appease the masses.

Personally I don't dislike the shootout. It's certainly a sideshow but it's a fun one. Perhaps that's because my team has historically been pretty good at them. Having said that I wouldn't be against DN's suggestion. It would make wins in regulation even more important.

I never really got the argument saying the the shooutout was a cheap way to end a game followed by they should do some version of 3v3 OT. Isn't that the same thing?

The casual fans (meaning fans that don't hang out on a NHL section of a poker forum) don't want ties so the NHL should do what it can to appease the masses.

Personally I don't dislike the shootout. It's certainly a sideshow but it's a fun one. Perhaps that's because my team has historically been pretty good at them. Having said that I wouldn't be against DN's suggestion. It would make wins in regulation even more important.

I never really got the argument saying the the shooutout was a cheap way to end a game followed by they should do some version of 3v3 OT. Isn't that the same thing?

Your point is well taken by the casual fan...Lets face it shootouts are exciting.

Every night, I make sure to watch all the shootouts on NHL gamecentre(plug to Rogers) when they are on..

the 3 on 3 is being tried in the AHL this year( thats the American Hockey Leauge, not our pool)

its probably to appease the American fans as there are no ties in the other 3 major sports( in NFL there are but they are very rare)

We grew up with ties and I actually prefer them as well...But I dont deny that the shootout is exciting as well..

Here's a side discussion: Does the 3pt game, where the loser gets a point for getting to OT, really help with parity?

Further to Bob's post about logic and the NHL....what is the reason for why these games get 3pts and the team that wins 5-0 gets only 2. Do they truly believe this keeps middle of the road teams in a bunch, creating for more "excitement" as the season winds downs and there are different playoff races?

I'm boosting my spells and zapping peoples DE like crazy while this is going on

I'm a little annoyed I didn't do that at the beginning when I had time to raid. At the time I was hoping to save for a big lab upgrade, but now I'm thinking of doing a different one and I'll have extra elixir, so should've just gone nuts with it, especially since I'm only about 1100 DE from my next upgrade. Come to think of it...maybe I'll just start now. Cross my fingers I'll get the upgrade done, because there are going to be some nasty revenge attacks if I'm sitting there with 12k DE and a bunch of angry people I've just zapped!

I'm a little annoyed I didn't do that at the beginning when I had time to raid. At the time I was hoping to save for a big lab upgrade, but now I'm thinking of doing a different one and I'll have extra elixir, so should've just gone nuts with it, especially since I'm only about 1100 DE from my next upgrade. Come to think of it...maybe I'll just start now. Cross my fingers I'll get the upgrade done, because there are going to be some nasty revenge attacks if I'm sitting there with 12k DE and a bunch of angry people I've just zapped!

Bahaha - in the time I was posting this, I got revenge-attacked by someone I'd zapped. He spent 104k in elixir and 947 dark elixir to get 97% on me. The only things he didn't finish off...my elixir and dark elixir. He ended up getting 12k in gold, 125k in elixir (profit!) and 28k in dark. Oh, and 0 trophies, since he is currently ranked 900 trophies ahead of me...

Here's a side discussion: Does the 3pt game, where the loser gets a point for getting to OT, really help with parity?

Further to Bob's post about logic and the NHL....what is the reason for why these games get 3pts and the team that wins 5-0 gets only 2. Do they truly believe this keeps middle of the road teams in a bunch, creating for more "excitement" as the season winds downs and there are different playoff races?

I think we are missing the point. The"loser" isn't getting a point. The 60 minute game is as same as before. It's a Tie. Both teams get the point.

The OT and Shootout award and extra point.

The 3 pts for a win scenario I hate as well.

I think actually it has a negative effect on perceived playoff races. It's almost impossible to make up ground when your opponents are getting 3 pts and you get 2 for a win.

The only other option other than this is a tie

The

Bahaha - in the time I was posting this, I got revenge-attacked by someone I'd zapped. He spent 104k in elixir and 947 dark elixir to get 97% on me. The only things he didn't finish off...my elixir and dark elixir. He ended up getting 12k in gold, 125k in elixir (profit!) and 28k in dark. Oh, and 0 trophies, since he is currently ranked 900 trophies ahead of me...

Cmon man. There is thread for this. You are pissing people off

I believe so yes. So teams/fans can say we are only x points out of at playoff spot (ignoring the half dozen teams they have to pass to get in)