***the Official New York Mets Thread***

Ok...Its a new era here in New York so its time for a new thread. "The New York Mets therapy thread" sent a bad message. It reflected the old regime. Its time to no longer need therapy. Its time to get back to being winners.So the Mets fired Willie and two coaches today. As is typical with this organization they did a terrible job. #1 If you were going to do this it needed to be done a few weeks ago, not after winning 3 out of 4#2 They made them fly to California to manage one game before getting fired...Couldnt it have been done back in New York?#3 They released the info to the press at 3:30 est this morning and dont have a press conference for another hour.#4 They dragged Willie through the mud and embarrassed him for a few weeksI dont need to really kill them anymore. I mean everyone in the town is killing them and from what Ive heard, the national media is following suite. They are pretty much being called one of the most unprofessional organizations in sports. Luckily I am also a Jets and Knicks fan so I know that the Mets are only on a level playing field with these organizations.But now it is the Jerry Manuel era. I hope the Mets either win the World Series this year or this era is a very short one. Omar deserves to be fired and it wouldnt be possible to keep an interm manager when the GM loses his job.But anyway, the mets have won 3 out of 4, are only 6.5 back, and have Johan on the hill tonight.I guess all there is to say now is keep the streak alive, and Lets Go Mets!

Ok...Its a new era here in New York so its time for a new thread. "The New York Mets therapy thread" sent a bad message. It reflected the old regime. Its time to no longer need therapy. Its time to get back to being winners.So the Mets fired Willie and two coaches today. As is typical with this organization they did a terrible job. #1 If you were going to do this it needed to be done a few weeks ago, not after winning 3 out of 4#2 They made them fly to California to manage one game before getting fired...Couldnt it have been done back in New York?#3 They released the info to the press at 3:30 est this morning and dont have a press conference for another hour.#4 They dragged Willie through the mud and embarrassed him for a few weeksI dont need to really kill them anymore. I mean everyone in the town is killing them and from what Ive heard, the national media is following suite. They are pretty much being called one of the most unprofessional organizations in sports. Luckily I am also a Jets and Knicks fan so I know that the Mets are only on a level playing field with these organizations.But now it is the Jerry Manuel era. I hope the Mets either win the World Series this year or this era is a very short one. Omar deserves to be fired and it wouldnt be possible to keep an interm manager when the GM loses his job.But anyway, the mets have won 3 out of 4, are only 6.5 back, and have Johan on the hill tonight.I guess all there is to say now is keep the streak alive, and Lets Go Mets!
The Mets as a team are not a lost cause because they have money and some good young talent.However, any franchise that shows such a lack of professionalism and common sense all the time is doomed to failure in the long run. Willie Randolph is such a bad manager that I could not imagine a scenario where I ended up feeling sorry for him.....but the Mets found a way. Bravo.

Willie wasnt that bad of a manager. He had nothing to work with. When Omar came in he said he was going to build "a young, athletic, sustainable team, with a strong minor league system." The only two young impact players brought in by Willie were Beltran and Santana. Neither one of them was exactly young but at least they are in their prime.Wright and Reyes are products of the Steve Phillips era so Manaya can take no credit for them. Delgado broke down in one year now that the steroid era is over. Castillo has two bad knees and was just signed to a 4 year contract. Schnider and previously Loduca were both nice stop gap players behind the plate who called good games but that is about it. Alou can take a swing without hurting himself. The Ryan Church situation is a joke. The Mets handled his concussion so bad its not even funny. He was playing good before he got hurt but he is a guy that will never be a star.Omar counted on a 36 year old Pedro to come back after pitching 5 games in 2 years and save the team. He got lucky when he traded for John Maine but Oliver Perez is still only one step above what he was when Omar traded for him. You have a closer who is finally showing signs of age. El Duque who leaves the senior center every day in Florida to come rehab with the Mets and collect a hefty contract. Plus you look around the majors and see exMets performing well. Health Bell, Brian Bannister, Matt Lindstrom and some one else who the Mets shipped to Florida for nothing. There are plenty of more examples of this.Also the Mets bench/minor league system is a joke. Besides Fernando Martinez their best prospects were all drafted this year. I know they just traded 4 of them for Johan, but trust me they werent many special players in that bunch. Its a joke when a player gets hurt and the Mets are calling up Raul Casanova, Robinson Cancel, and Fernando Tatis to take over. Tatis is a utility player now so I can live with that. But is it really necessary to carry three freakin catchers on this roster??? Its not like they can hit. Its not to allow the manager to use Ramon Castro as a pinch hitter because that has only happened once since they started carrying three catchers. Plus the Mets were short a player the whole time because they were carrying Ryan Church on the roster and he couldnt even see straight. The reason for this was that the Mets had no one else to call up who was even remotely ready and its a joke.,.Its time for Omar to get back to his original mission.

fwiw, I had a laughing fit when I saw the Mets gave Luis Castillo a four year deal. The guy was on the backside of his career when the Marlins pawned him off on the Twins....he is a shadow of what he was when he was a Marlin.I think the Mets should clean out the whole house (Minaya included) and hire a new GM that the Wilpons will actually let run the show. They meddle too much and they dont have a clue.

I think the Mets should clean out the whole house (Minaya included) and hire a new GM that the Wilpons will actually let run the show. They meddle too much and they dont have a clue.
QFT

Well...The Jerry Manuel era is off to an excellent start...Mets 0-2...Maybe it would have made more sense to let Willie finish the Angles series and fire him on the off day before they play the Rockies. At least that would have gave them the chance to generate momentum under their new manager against a bad team.

Well...The Jerry Manuel era is off to an excellent start...Mets 0-2...Maybe it would have made more sense to let Willie finish the Angles series and fire him on the off day before they play the Rockies. At least that would have gave them the chance to generate momentum under their new manager against a bad team.
And the reverse jinx worked... :club:
And the reverse jinx worked... :club:
well played. I will be interested to see if the Mets hang around at all or if the Phillies (and Marlins???) run away and hide.
But now it is the Jerry Manuel era. I hope the Mets either win the World Series this year or this era is a very short one. Omar deserves to be fired and it wouldnt be possible to keep an interm manager when the GM loses his job.But anyway, the mets have won 3 out of 4, are only 6.5 back, and have Johan on the hill tonight.I guess all there is to say now is keep the streak alive, and Lets Go Mets!
Yeah, have fun with that.
Yeah, have fun with that.
Was going to post the exact same thing. Everything else that's to be said in this thread already has been...the organization is in trouble.
Everything else that's to be said in this thread already has been...the organization is in trouble.
I agree 100%...But it has nothing to do with Jerry Manuel being manager. This organization has been crappy since the end of the Bobby V and Steve Phillips era. The Art Howe era was terrible. During the beginning of the Omar/Willie era it looked like things had turned around but it was really just a patch over the problems. Old players who break down easily were brought in and used to make the team good in the short term...(Year 1- Pedro/Year 2-Delgado + El Duque/Year 3 -Alou/Year 3.5 Castillo) (You could put Wagner in that group due to age but he has been very good in his time here)Once the team accumulated more and more injury prone players the patch over the problems started to come off. Couple that with the fact that Omar has bled the minor league system dry and that the team cant draft and you have the Mets where they are now.Omar still lives in the steroid era. According to him players can play into their late 30s/early 40's and still produce. He didnt get the memo yet that it isnt like that in baseball anymore. I almost thing that Jerry Manuel will be a great manager for this team (for the short term of course). He seems loose and easy going and gets along with the players very well. The team needed change and hopefully he can get the players to play a little harder for the time being.The thing about Manuel is that he has the interm tag and will only be the manager until Omar and his henchman Tony Bernazard are fired which will be the end of the year if the team doesnt show improvement.

Another big win for the orange and blue...an excellent 4-2 road trip against a good team and a hot team. You cant ask for much more than that. They are only 3.5 and and home to play the M's tomorrow...Lets go Mets. :club:

• 2 weeks later...
so hot right now...
which means it is a perfect time for the all-star break. 9 in a row....bah!NL East is going to be a dogfight.
  • 1 month later...

If the Mets end up playing the Dodgers in the divisional series, I will most likely have 2 tickets available if anyone is interested for the 2nd game in LA (game 4). Recent history shows that the Mets would most likely sweep us and make the tickets useless, but you never know lol.