Here's an interesting one:The villain is the BB. He's a British guy who is on the tight side, but he also makes lots of weird bets and calls. Generally when he's putting money in, he's got a hand from what I've seen so far.I've been totally card dead and the combination of other aggressive players at the table and a steady stream of J3o has made me look pretty nittish.I have $700ish and the villain covers.I'm UTG with QQ.I raise it up to $20 and it folds around to the villain who clumsily throws in $35. He then acts very confused and says he only meant to call. The dealer informs him that it's a legal raise. I ponder my options and decide to make it $100 to go and the villain calls.Flop 37J rainbowVillain checks, I bet $120 and the villain raises to $300.Who shoves and who folds and who calls?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had pretty much the exact spot awhile back in a similar game when I threw away QQ in your spot because I didn't have a good enough read on my opponent I felt and something in my gut didn't feel right about shoving at that point, but it might have been the chicken teriyaki I dunno. Later (about an hour or so) the exact spot occurred again with the same hand vs the same opponent and I felt I had enough info to shove seeing the hands he was showing down and got called by tp/tk and doubled through. Unless my gut and pattern recognition alarms tell me different, I prolly shove but like I said this is one of the most common tough spots for me in deep stack cash games.

If you think the preflop confusion was genuine then shove. If you think it was an act then fold. If you're unsure then shove.
I thought the confusion was genuine, but then I was like, how the hell does he call a 4 bet from an UTG raiser OOP without a real hand?

AJ?The preflop action is bizzare, but as a Brit we do overvalue AJ a lot and want to see flops with it, ditto KJ. If he was acting with AA or KK then he got what he wanted when you re-raised again so I can't understand why he wouldn't stick you there. Horrid spot.A call will just invite him to push the turn and there things will be even worse for you. I'd say...Shove>fold>call

I thought the confusion was genuine, but then I was like, how the hell does he call a 4 bet from an UTG raiser OOP without a real hand?
1) It was an act, so he's continuing to look weak/confused about it while trapping.or2) It was genuine, but he's put in $35 so he doesn't want to fold. I think the confusion is enough to strongly change his calling range. It would be easy to get disgusted at yourself for throwing away $30 on a stupid error without seeing a flop, so he feels comitted.The fact that he made a mistake suggests strongly that the hand was an autocall. He didn't have to stop and consider his other options. With JJ he would have to at least consider reraising.Given that AA, KK and JJ are unlikely given the action, he has 77, 33 or you have him crushed. I think you have him crushed very often here.Your possibly weak looking bet of $120 into $200 could definitely rep AK.
A call will just invite him to push the turn and there things will be even worse for you. I'd say...
Either we are dead to 2 outs, or he has at most 5 outs.The problem with flat calling is that it turns our hand face up as QQ+ or at worst AJ, so he can play perfectly against us on the turn. By shoving we just cut off any implied odds he has.
If he was acting with AA or KK then he got what he wanted when you re-raised again so I can't understand why he wouldn't stick you there. Horrid spot.
I don't think he was a bad player. If it was genuine, then he'd never have a hand to reraise me here with. If it was an act, he's probably much trickier than I thought in the first place and anybody who can think fast enough to pull the "Oops, I minraised but meant to call" move is obviously smart enough to know that after being reraised, that shoving would be retarded becuase it'd be eleventy brazillion % obvious what he's got. If he reriased me after that whole sequence, then there's almost no way that I can't give him credit for AA or KK.

sounds like 77, assuming he wasn't acting. He just didn't want to leave his $35 on the table without trying to protect it. Only strange thing is this is a pretty dry board, why not slow play the hand? Now I'm thinking AJ.

i don't think you're deep enough to consider folding this. Meh, i might be wrong as i don't play 2/5 NL just 1/2.This looks like AJ, KJ more than it would a set. I mean, if he's pretty tight then a set of 3's or 7's wouldn't make much sense i think as he's not getting Pot odds to set mine. Implied odds, maybe. A set of Jacks is the only think i'm worried about, and given our stack size i think i would go with the hand and shove.

During his time at the table before the hand was he generally comfortable counting out and betting his chips or was he pretty sloppy on the whole?
Clearly there are too may Js and 3s in that deck and hence you should be folding QQ and playing J3...
I have no response for this. Nice post :club:
i don't think you're deep enough to consider folding this. Meh, i might be wrong as i don't play 2/5 NL just 1/2.This looks like AJ, KJ more than it would a set. I mean, if he's pretty tight then a set of 3's or 7's wouldn't make much sense i think as he's not getting Pot odds to set mine. Implied odds, maybe. A set of Jacks is the only think i'm worried about, and given our stack size i think i would go with the hand and shove.
You really can't say he's tight and won't call with 33 or 77 for set mining purposes, but then say that he can show up with the most easily dominated hands in poker like KJ and AJ, which are much worse calls than 33 or 77 because of the huge RIO that they offer. I mean, you can say it, but you're contradicting yourself. Either you give him a very tight range that corresponds to him pretending to accidentally raise preflop or you give him a wider range because he DID accidentally raise preflop and didn't want to let go of his hand yet.
During his time at the table before the hand was he generally comfortable counting out and betting his chips or was he pretty sloppy on the whole?
Very good question. Nothing had stood out really. He seemed to be handling himself fine.
I have no response for this. Nice post :club: You really can't say he's tight and won't call with 33 or 77 for set mining purposes, but then say that he can show up with the most easily dominated hands in poker like KJ and AJ, which are much worse calls than 33 or 77 because of the huge RIO that they offer. I mean, you can say it, but you're contradicting yourself. Either you give him a very tight range that corresponds to him pretending to accidentally raise preflop or you give him a wider range because he DID accidentally raise preflop and didn't want to let go of his hand yet.
He didn't pretend to accidentally raise preflop, from my opinion. So its a hand that he wants to see a flop, and now since you rerasised he has gotton stubborn and wants to come along with his 77 or AJdd. Idk, its a tough spot, i don't think i could get away from the queens.

I'd prefer reraising more preflop. It's obviously fine relative to the pot but it's an awkward amount with respect to the stacks. Now here we are wondering if we should take our overpair down to felt. It's close.

he could be thinkin you reraised the 100 looking to take the 35 he put in just meaning to call, if he knows you think he has a hand just worth calling with and thinks you are steal raising he could call here with AJ

he could be thinkin you reraised the 100 looking to take the 35 he put in just meaning to call, if he knows you think he has a hand just worth calling with and thinks you are steal raising he could call here with AJ
That's what I'm saying.There are really 2 scenarios here.1. He accidentally made it $35 preflop with a wide range of hands that he intended to call with. He then gets upset that I reraised him, thinking that my range is wider becuase of his accidental call and he calls out of spite and plays back at me on the flop with top pair or a set or whatever he's got. If this is the case, I should get it in here.2. He is very tricky. He wanted to minraise preflop, but didn't want me to know that he did. He didn't reraise my $100 raise because he didn't want to give away his hand. If this is the case, he almost certainly holds AA or KK and I need to fold.
This crossed my mind as well, but I was confused because it doesn't really fit with Acid's image. If he is compitent he will realize that Acid's UTG range is pretty small and that AJ is dominated by pretty much all of the hands in his range. Especially if Acid has been very quiet and now he's suddenly raising UTG.I think the circumstances just complicate our decision, but is it +EV to shove here against a tight player who has called an UTG raise and then check raised on a jack high flop?If so then shove.
Here's an interesting one:The villain is the BB. He's a British guy who is on the tight side, but he also makes lots of weird bets and calls. Generally when he's putting money in, he's got a hand from what I've seen so far.I've been totally card dead and the combination of other aggressive players at the table and a steady stream of J3o has made me look pretty nittish.I have $700ish and the villain covers.I'm UTG with QQ.I raise it up to $20 and it folds around to the villain who clumsily throws in $35. He then acts very confused and says he only meant to call. The dealer informs him that it's a legal raise. I ponder my options and decide to make it $100 to go and the villain calls.Flop 37J rainbowVillain checks, I bet $120 and the villain raises to $300.Who shoves and who folds and who calls?
Haven't read the replies, but this sounds like exactly A-A