Biatch's Barbershop (spring Edition)

Sup everyone. I've decided to continue this again. I have been doing surprisingly well this NCAA tournament and during the Brier. I am up quite a bit and withdrew most of it (2.5k), so that I don't lose it all, lol. My roomate is also moving out to New Zealand, so I'm moving from downtown Ottawa to trendy Westboro, and getting my own pad. Anyways, with the money I've won, I'm pretty pumped that I have about 2.5k, I can blow on pimpin it out, lol. I've decided with the money, I'm getting...a) A New TVb. A New Mattress and BedQuestions about tv for some people, what is the best value? Is 42" the way to go? I don't really know much about tvs. I know 50" is obviously bigger but there is a bit of a price jump, and also it is huge, and then I don't even know if I could get a stand that big. Also what stand would be good? And for the mattress, I have a double right now. But want to upgrade to a queen. Does anybody have a king? I know a king is a lot bigger, but it also takes up a lot of space. Any ideas or input? If anybody has any insight on any of that, that would be awesome, and also if you think I should be spending it on something else, that would be great too. Anyways, I'm going to start posting my picks in this thread because it's easier then posting it everywhere else, and because I dont' want to clog up the other threads with my useless bets. I currently have $484.13. I then made the following bets today. Will try to get it up to 1.5k before withdrawing again. Bet #1 Risk $10 to win $13.59 (parlay)Boston Bruins ML vs New York RangersSyracuse ML vs Gonzaga Reasoning: I was bored, and these were the only games on, also I'm not confident, hence why I only bet $10. Bet #2Risk $50 to win $45.46Missouri +6.0 vs West VirginiaReasoning: West Viriginia is the "sexy" sleeper pick to come out of the East, but 6 points is way too much. Bet #3Risk $50 to win $45.46Wisconsin -4.5 vs CornellReasoning: Everybody is huge on Cornell. I have no idea why. They are an Ivy League school, Wisconsin will win this in a blowout. **************************************************Biatch story of the day: If you have me on twitter, you'll already know this. Some friends were over last night to watch the Habs/Leafs game. Drank way too much. I had breakfast in bed this morning, because I woke up in the kitchen. I had a box of fruit loops in my hand, like I was spooning it. Yeah, I'm kinda f*cked up. Anyways, so yeah it's the afternoon, I threw those fruit loops down the garbage chute, betting on some basketball this afternoon, then have curling later tonight, and then hockey at Carelton tonight. If you want to follow on twitter, it's http://twitter.com/Ottawa_Biatchxoxo-biatch

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's Official.   I signed the papers today and purchased a 2015 Toyota Corolla Sports Model. It's pretty much the same as the regular Corolla, except its a little more sporty, sporty seats, backup c

Woot. Good luck tripling the mobneys.As far as beds go, Queen is definitely big enough. Plus, queen is more 'standard' than King - stores will stock significantly fewer bedsheets/duvets, etc for King bets. Go with the Queen.

With respect to TV..Bigger is better IMO, however mostly depends on the size of your room and your viewing space.

Woot. Good luck tripling the mobneys.As far as beds go, Queen is definitely big enough. Plus, queen is more 'standard' than King - stores will stock significantly fewer bedsheets/duvets, etc for King bets. Go with the Queen.
Thanks for the insight. I never thought of that sheets thing. I will probably go for the Queen.
With respect to TV..Bigger is better IMO, however mostly depends on the size of your room and your viewing space.
The living room in my new place is pretty big, space isn't a problem. It's just whether it's worth the extra $400-$500. Is the best place to get it at Best Buy?
The living room in my new place is pretty big, space isn't a problem. It's just whether it's worth the extra $400-$500. Is the best place to get it at Best Buy?
They are usually good..Bob is the resident TV guru...
We have a 55" Samsung LED that I'm absolutely in love with, would highly recommend you as a hockey fan getting the largest, best quality HDTV you can afford. As far as a stand, don't buy a TV stand. Buy a nice piece of furniture with a flat top that can be used as a TV stand, with shelves and drawers and such for all your media storage, etc.
We have a 55" Samsung LED that I'm absolutely in love with, would highly recommend you as a hockey fan getting the largest, best quality HDTV you can afford. As far as a stand, don't buy a TV stand. Buy a nice piece of furniture with a flat top that can be used as a TV stand, with shelves and drawers and such for all your media storage, etc.
Thanks for the insight. Where would you get a piece of furniture like this? Is it just like a shelf? I'm guessing it's a lot cheaper too?

Made a curling bet as well. Women's curling on TSN at 3:30. Bet #4 (parlay)Risk $30 to win $30Russia to WIN vs JapanCanada to WIN vs SwitzerlandOn a side note... hottest two teams here are Sweden and Russia. It's not even close.

Thanks for the insight. Where would you get a piece of furniture like this? Is it just like a shelf? I'm guessing it's a lot cheaper too?
Any furniture store will sell pieces that can double as a TV stand, they generally will sit between knee and waist high. Price will obviously depend on quality, I think we spend about $600 on our cherry wood one.
Thanks for the insight. I never thought of that sheets thing. I will probably go for the Queen.
The difference between a double and a queen is only 6 inches, but it feels a lot bigger (that's what she said). King is a really big step up, and probably won't fit in most apartments, unless you've gone massively balla without me realizing and getting a huge house or something.
I love my 42", and I definitely wouldn't go under that, but Adam is right, bigger is better, especially for sports.I got mine at Future Shop, which is the same thing as Best Buy. Probably a safe bet to go there. Keep an eye on sales and shit.
They are usually good..Bob is the resident TV guru...
Bob helped me a ton when I wanted to buy mine.
Agree with this, but it'll definitely be expensive. I got a decent stand from Ikea (ie, cheaper than buying real furniture), which had 2 pretty good sized drawers, and enough room on the shelf below my TV for my cable box, xbox, and blu-ray player. The biggest problem I found with Ikea TV stands is they were all super low, and I agree with you that something closer to waist high is better. The one I got was probably the highest they had, and it's actually really sturdy for Ikea crap.

Thanks Zach and Adam. I'll take a look at ikea and other furniture stores for the stands. I'm going to probably going with the queen. Zach, I am most def' not a baller. I really wish I was though. Havin' cash money and hoes would be fun time. My Boston/Syracuse bet looks like a lock, I wish I put more money on it.

I'm going to probably going with the queen. Zach, I am most def' not a baller. I really wish I was though. Havin' cash money and hoes would be fun time.
Bed shopping is really fun, cuz you get to go try out a bunch of beds, lol.My bed is the most comfortable thing ever produced. It has like 6 inches of pillowtop. Some people love that, some hate it. Shop around and find the one you want. Don't cheap out for the sake of saving money. Spend a few extra and get a better mattress, imho, since you'll be sleeping on it (almost) every night. I got mine from the Brick, fwiw. I'm sure there are more options in Ottawa, though. We paid for ours at the Thunder Bay store, and had it delivered from Ottawa when we moved here. They were the only ones who could do that for us, so we had to go with them. Very happy with it, though.

Wow Cornell is shooting lights out today. If I actually knew them, I would apologize for disrespecting them. Hopefully the Miz can cover. Thinking about a large bet on the Duke game.

Cornell is the last 'upset' team I have doing anything. So...go Cornell!I have whatever size TV is one step below a 42". I figured anything bigger would be a waste. I was wrong. Go 42" or higher.

I have two plasmas and one LCD in my house.... all three are Samsung, all three are 42". I wanted to go bigger but the TV experts said that was the right size for the various rooms. I really like the high end Samsung LCD the best, but I don't know if it's worth the 2X money it costs....

i think Dan should be a real baller and get a 3d tv...The chicks will all come over and he will be the true pimp..He will then need a bigger bed for sure.

I have two plasmas and one LCD in my house.... all three are Samsung, all three are 42". I wanted to go bigger but the TV experts said that was the right size for the various rooms. I really like the high end Samsung LCD the best, but I don't know if it's worth the 2X money it costs....
Which brands are the best? And what brands would you not buy because of their crappiness?
i think Dan should be a real baller and get a 3d tv...The chicks will all come over and he will be the true pimp..He will then need a bigger bed for sure.
LOL, I think those 3D TV's are the worst things ever, like foreva eva. I do wish tho that I was a pimp though and that all the chicks would come over.
Which brands are the best? And what brands would you not buy because of their crappiness?
Samsung makes a fantastic TV for the money, that's all I can tell you since this is the first TV over 36" I've ever owned. My 36" is a Sony non-HD and it weighs about 310 pounds...literally. Don't buy one of those. :club:
Samsung makes a fantastic TV for the money, that's all I can tell you since this is the first TV over 36" I've ever owned. My 36" is a Sony non-HD and it weighs about 310 pounds...literally. Don't buy one of those. :club:
LOL, thanks for the heads up.

Current update on how the run to $1500 is going, lol. Current Record: 3-2Starting Balance: $484.13Current Balance: $518.63Net: +$34.50Figures the first basketball pick I make correctly today, isn't a contrarian bet, lol. About to head out to hockey in 30 minutes, it's going to be a gong show, I think we'll have 6 guys, lol like last time. Placing one bet though that involves my net winnings for the day on a parlay again for curling as it worked earlier. My FCHL team also needs a lot of help tonight. Need Thornton and Penner to come up big in the late games. Bet #6Risk $34.50 to win $29.39Sweden to WIN vs SwitzerlandCanada to WIN vs Norway